Where are the legal fish?!

J
JeannaJigs
Maybe I've been so focused on steelhead and salmon the last 6 months, that I have forgotten how to fish for trout? Yesterday I thought it would be a quick slaughter session and I'd be at home grilling up some fresh lemon pepper trout and rice and all that goodness, but no, it didn't happen that way. I came home empty handed. (I BOUGHT fish from the store to grill, I was wanting fish so bad!)

I first banked it on the Mac down by the town of leaburg, then up and down goodpasture road, nothing. So I decided to use up a little extra gas and hit up Carmen reservoir, because, I always catch fish at Carmen. Not a bite. Nada. It was sooo cold. My parental units said they went to Smith reservoir and leaburg and caught zilch as well. Finally I'm cold and my dog is driving me crazy, so I decide to just go home. On my way home, I decide to stop at a little pull out just north of the town of leaburg. FINALLY! SUCCESS! FISH ON! Oh wait...it's a 3 inch smolt, but hey it was a live fish on the other end of my rod, we're moving up in the world! so these fish say no to all my spinners, spoons, and eggs. I finally give in and break out the power bait. I hate power bait, it seems so...I don't know...I don't like the stuff, but when I want dinner, I don't care, I'll use it. They didn't even hit the power bait. Finally I remember I have some worms in my rig, so I run up and get worms. Worms are the winning ticket today, for this spot, nowhere else did they work.

Problem is, I caught 18 fish, and not a single one was 8 inches. They were all 5-7 inches, with their fins clipped (and SKINNYYYYYYY!). What the heck is that about? Do they think these hatchery fish are going to survive in that river system long enough to grow to legal size? I doubt very many of them will. Why are they stocking so many small fish that aren't legal to retain?

These were the roughest looking hatchery fish I've ever seen. Pretty dissapointing opening day on the river.

I learned a valuable lesson though. ALWAYS keep a spare key to your vehicle with you at all times. My car key broke off in the lock when I was trying to get back into my rig at the end of goodpasture road, in the middle of nowhere, where my cell phone provider decided to not provide service, so I couldn't call anyone, fortunately, due entirely to laziness, I had a spare key in my car. With the key broke off in the lock, it released the locking mechanism, so I could open the door with anything i wanted, but wouldn't have had anyway to start up my car were it not for the spare key.

Anyhoo, did anyone else have any success fishing yesterday?

C
capblack
are you sure those arent steel smolts?? It sounds like the ones that have been pesturing us on the santiam. 5 to 7 inches and skinny. And you can't keep them off the spoons. Anyway, Ive been trying detroit, green peter, big cliff. Theres absolutely nothing hitting so far this year. 2 wks ago we spent 11 hrs on gp, and caught only 2 bows and 1 koke. ON 3 POLES !! Yesterday we were on gp for 6 hrs, and only caught 2- 5 or 6 inch kokes. We went home empty handed. Ive also spent 3 or 4 different days on big cliff and detroit. 1 whitefish from detroit, and a couple nice bows from big cliff. Our river isn't open yet for trout. Maybe Ill just go the store route before I hit the water next time. It will be much cheaper. Brian

J
JeannaJigs
capblack said:
are you sure those arent steel smolts?? It sounds like the ones that have been pesturing us on the santiam. 5 to 7 inches and skinny. And you can't keep them off the spoons. Anyway, Ive been trying detroit, green peter, big cliff. Theres absolutely nothing hitting so far this year. 2 wks ago we spent 11 hrs on gp, and caught only 2 bows and 1 koke. ON 3 POLES !! Yesterday we were on gp for 6 hrs, and only caught 2- 5 or 6 inch kokes. We went home empty handed. Ive also spent 3 or 4 different days on big cliff and detroit. 1 whitefish from detroit, and a couple nice bows from big cliff. Our river isn't open yet for trout. Maybe Ill just go the store route before I hit the water next time. It will be much cheaper. Brian
They're brightly colored rainbows, with clipped fins, and a couple of them also had a brand (they're doing research on the migration of rainbows in the McKenzie, so they have actually branded little L's on some of the fish. definitely not steelhead smolts, Though I did hook into a couple of steelhead smolt. Just really poor quality hatchery fish. It was a let down. The store route might be your best bet lol. Last weekend I was up at Smith reservoir and we fished for 8 hours with 3 lines in the water without a single bite. The fish finder was marking a buttload of fish, so they're in there...just will not hit anything. It's a weird year so far, I'm not likin' it.

C
capblack
hope it picks up. I will be in that area fishing for steels and bows, but not until the 4th of July. My family has a couple miles of property on the mckenzie. (partridge Lane) maybe you know where that is. We have sort of a family reunion there on the river. About 3 or 4 drift boats, and countless inflatables drifting the river all weekend. Last year my cousin got a nice summer above partridge lane. Meanwhile hope it gets better ( can't get worse ). But look at the bright side. We could be the people that never get out and experience fishing. That would suck!! good luck, Brian

J
JeannaJigs
I don't know where that is exactly but property on the McKenzie leaves me envious lol. I'll be going up in the next month and start trying for some early summers, and will fish it religiously every chance I can get until October-November. I might even give the Springers a shot this next month, something I haven't done for a long time. It would indeed suck to be one of those poor misguided people that don't fish.

T
Troutier Bassier
Went to Benson Yesterday. Nothing.

And those smolts. I fish at Salish ponds very often and around the end of may they stock salish ponds with those "Runts" I call them. They match your description perfectly. 4-7 Inches no 8's and they are just JUMPING on the hook. its like your not even trying.

O
Outdrsmn
i took the son up to blue river and caught as many fish as we wanted, and decent sized pellet heads...fat enough for dinner.

J
JeannaJigs
Troutier Bassier said:
Went to Benson Yesterday. Nothing.

And those smolts. I fish at Salish ponds very often and around the end of may they stock salish ponds with those "Runts" I call them. They match your description perfectly. 4-7 Inches no 8's and they are just JUMPING on the hook. its like your not even trying.
I don't like 'em! Or well, they were fun to catch, but, I wanted dinner!

J
JeannaJigs
Outdrsmn said:
i took the son up to blue river and caught as many fish as we wanted, and decent sized pellet heads...fat enough for dinner.
So THAT'S where they're hiding! Maybe thursday my day off I'll go up there with my 'toon and give it a go. Glad to hear that they do exist and you and your son did well!

F
FishSlayer420
Also Just Down the road before leaburg there is a couple nice pull-outs along the Mac and let me tell you they were hittin every piece of hardware we had in our box. they really liked the Thomas buoyant the Blue one with red spots. FISH ON!

J
JeannaJigs
FishSlayer420 said:
Also Just Down the road before leaburg there is a couple nice pull-outs along the Mac and let me tell you they were hittin every piece of hardware we had in our box. they really liked the Thomas buoyant the Blue one with red spots. FISH ON!
I was running the exact same thomas every hole I went to, and nada, and I know they're in there because they were jumping right where I was casting. Was frustrating, because they're just trout!! I have had better luck with winter steelhead. I think I'm switching gears into targetting the summer steelhead up there, they're coming in now, at least I know what they like :) and they're not 5 inches.

F
FishSlayer420
Yes they are starting to get up there. Hardware is what i have best luck up there with. and them nice juicey sand shrimp. cannot wait.

T
Thuggin4Life
FishSlayer420 said:

Yeah we were killing them on the mac the other day. As for luck on saturday, Check the fall creek posts and I'll tell you all about it.

Y
yellowjacket
4 on Sat, 4 on Sun

4 on Sat, 4 on Sun

JeannaJigs said:
Maybe I've been so focused on steelhead and salmon the last 6 months, that I have forgotten how to fish for trout? Yesterday I thought it would be a quick slaughter session and I'd be at home grilling up some fresh lemon pepper trout and rice and all that goodness, but no, it didn't happen that way. I came home empty handed. (I BOUGHT fish from the store to grill, I was wanting fish so bad!)

I first banked it on the Mac down by the town of leaburg, then up and down goodpasture road, nothing. So I decided to use up a little extra gas and hit up Carmen reservoir, because, I always catch fish at Carmen. Not a bite. Nada. It was sooo cold. My parental units said they went to Smith reservoir and leaburg and caught zilch as well. Finally I'm cold and my dog is driving me crazy, so I decide to just go home. On my way home, I decide to stop at a little pull out just north of the town of leaburg. FINALLY! SUCCESS! FISH ON! Oh wait...it's a 3 inch smolt, but hey it was a live fish on the other end of my rod, we're moving up in the world! so these fish say no to all my spinners, spoons, and eggs. I finally give in and break out the power bait. I hate power bait, it seems so...I don't know...I don't like the stuff, but when I want dinner, I don't care, I'll use it. They didn't even hit the power bait. Finally I remember I have some worms in my rig, so I run up and get worms. Worms are the winning ticket today, for this spot, nowhere else did they work.

Problem is, I caught 18 fish, and not a single one was 8 inches. They were all 5-7 inches, with their fins clipped (and SKINNYYYYYYY!). What the heck is that about? Do they think these hatchery fish are going to survive in that river system long enough to grow to legal size? I doubt very many of them will. Why are they stocking so many small fish that aren't legal to retain?

These were the roughest looking hatchery fish I've ever seen. Pretty dissapointing opening day on the river.

I learned a valuable lesson though. ALWAYS keep a spare key to your vehicle with you at all times. My car key broke off in the lock when I was trying to get back into my rig at the end of goodpasture road, in the middle of nowhere, where my cell phone provider decided to not provide service, so I couldn't call anyone, fortunately, due entirely to laziness, I had a spare key in my car. With the key broke off in the lock, it released the locking mechanism, so I could open the door with anything i wanted, but wouldn't have had anyway to start up my car were it not for the spare key.

Anyhoo, did anyone else have any success fishing yesterday?

I got 4 cutts on sat , pic of the 2nd one. Seemed that the bite shut off like a switch @10:30 & nothing again till about 5pm. Fall Creek drainage. Sat started OFF hot, chases to the spoon most every cast. Water still CCCCCold in the creeks. Sun. fished at a spot that always got me fish last fall & got 2 clipped bows then it shut off. Worms. Went upstream to see how things looked after the big floods. No action at all. Filled my water bottle in the creek & it took about 5 min for my hand to thaw out. water had to be below 40 deg. Went back to little creek for the eve & got 2 cutts about 5:30 -6pm. All are still in the creeks C&R even the clipped. Let em wash out & grow a bit more. Turn loose the native cutts. Wish temps would get up to seasonal normal so fish would get more active in the creeks. Coupla pics of the catch & Creek.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
yellowjacket said:
I got 4 cutts on sat , pic of the 2nd one. Seemed that the bite shut off like a switch @10:30 & nothing again till about 5pm. Fall Creek drainage. Sat started OFF hot, chases to the spoon most every cast. Water still CCCCCold in the creeks. Sun. fished at a spot that always got me fish last fall & got 2 clipped bows then it shut off. Worms. Went upstream to see how things looked after the big floods. No action at all. Filled my water bottle in the creek & it took about 5 min for my hand to thaw out. water had to be below 40 deg. Went back to little creek for the eve & got 2 cutts about 5:30 -6pm. All are still in the creeks C&R even the clipped. Let em wash out & grow a bit more. Turn loose the native cutts. Wish temps would get up to seasonal normal so fish would get more active in the creeks. Coupla pics of the catch & Creek.
Thanks for the detailed report! I think you're right on the money about the water temp. It's unseasonably cold, and I think that's messing with the fish. They were everywhere at Smith reservoir 2 weeks ago but not a single hit with 3 lines in the water, using EVERYTHING. Water temp was 42-45. That's a pretty nice trout, right on.

O
Outdrsmn
You really shouldn't be drinking creek water without purifying it.