Where are the large mouths???

P
Phil_Bud
About 2 weeks ago my fishin buddy todd and I did our own little tounament he caught 18 and i caught 16 smallmouth wacky riggin and probably missed twice that many...but where are the large mouths??? we couldnt hook into one to save our lives...we wern't quite sure what was goin on..from what I understand they're in there soooo? :confused:

T
the_intimidator03
I cannot provide specific information regarding certain lakes but i will give you this tid bit. Small mouth bass tend to prefer rockier shorelines and structure than largemouth will. Also the smallies are more current associated than the large.

P
Phil_Bud
The 2 lakes ive had this problem both had rocky shore and a good amount of current...and smallmouth were bitin every cast. where are the largemouth in a mainly smallmouth lake? deep? we tryed what looked like good largemouth habitat in the coves and didn't catch smallmouth or largies?

T
the_intimidator03
without a lot of smallmouth predominate lake experience. I would start looking for some different structures around the lake. drop off's and points or some slack area's. If you take note of what things you are finding in common with the small mouth area's. find something that is different. perhaps the largemouth will be there.

Do you have any verified reports of largemouth in the area's you are fishing and any idea of where they came from? those would be good starting points to study the locations and structure along with feeding habits

Last edited:
B
Browning
Its been many years since I've fished up there. But we used to do really good around Songer Wayside.

D
Darthbeans
They are in there for sure fiance and I were up there a month or so ago and hooked into smallies and largemouths in the same areas if I had a smallie she had a largemouth and vice versa. No specific areas though it was all over the lake bank and boat though the deeper side held more and bigger smalls. The "summer" weather has really messed up the fishing almost everywhere though and with mismatched spawns it's hit and miss on both species as to where they are holding.

M
Markcanby
The smallies are going to more aggressive at cooler water temps so them maybe just grabbing you stuff before the LM get a chance.

D
durantmatt
Emigrant Lake and Applegate Lake are very similar in this topic. Both lakes hold largemouth, but the most caught are red eyes. I lived in the Applegate Valley from when I was six to now (I'm almost 22) I've fished both Applegate and Emigrant looking for largemouth. Emigrant Lake is a lot easier to catch a largemouth than Applegate. I've only caught one largemouth out of that lake and it was during the winter. The lake was super cold, low, and very hard to find solid ground near the water. My suggestion would be to fish deeper, try carolina rigging with a slow retrieve. See if that works out!

G
goonie40
I catch most of my largemouth on both ends of the lake (like the ends of a horseshoe) in the willows during the summer, but in the fall I nail them off rocky points!

C
colbypearson
Phil_Bud said:
The 2 lakes ive had this problem both had rocky shore and a good amount of current...and smallmouth were bitin every cast. where are the largemouth in a mainly smallmouth lake? deep? we tryed what looked like good largemouth habitat in the coves and didn't catch smallmouth or largies?

a lot of lakes i fish you just have to fish and get them occasionally mixed in unfortunately many times a good smallmouth fishery is lacking in a heavy population of largemouth.

C
colbypearson
Phil_Bud said:
About 2 weeks ago my fishin buddy todd and I did our own little tounament he caught 18 and i caught 16 smallmouth wacky riggin and probably missed twice that many...but where are the large mouths??? we couldnt hook into one to save our lives...we wern't quite sure what was goin on..from what I understand they're in there soooo? :confused:

what lakes?