Where are all the fiiiiiish??

B
bubs
Rented a car and hit the Wilson a few times this week, but just skunk, skunk, and more skunk. I know I know, some of you caught fish (saw at least 6 netted on Monday for example), but seriously, way fewer fish than I expected. Not even any sure bites for me. Today, didn't see a single hookup, and the conditions were pretty dang good all things considered...I was going to go for a last time tomorrow, but what's the point?

So what do you guys think - will there be another big push if we get a rain event in the next week or two? Or is it more or less over??

J
Joshuablue77
Where are all the fiiiiiish??

should've rented a charter instead of a car

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Kinda in between species coming out of salmon season going in to steelhead season. But if you don't have patience then you may not want to sit that one out.

S
sapo
Huh. Ya haven't been hearing spectacular things about any rivers..

B
bubs
GoBlueFan said:
Kinda in between species coming out of salmon season going in to steelhead season. But if you don't have patience then you may not want to sit that one out.

True...I would argue however that tossing hardware for 6 to 9 hours straight (per day) for 3 days = patience!

Mainly guys I was wondering if any of the long time locals had any thoughts on the chances for a good last run in the next week or two (in the Tillamook system).

troutdude
troutdude
Joshuablue77 said:
should've rented a charter instead of a car

But HOW would he have gotten TO the "charter", with NO wheels?

B
Big3d
Do a google search wilson river kitchen sink, find the video and rig up with that, want to say tuna belly, then eggs, the sandshrimp. If that doesn't catch em then best of luck to ya. I imagine your timing was very subpar, but still fish can be caught.

jamisonace
jamisonace
The Wilson looked so good yesterday. The color was absolutely perfect. The only thing I can think of for people not catching fish is the cold weather. I didn't fish it but I was tempted.

B
bubs
Yea [MENTION=1365]jamisonace[/MENTION], the color was great. Very little debris. River still on the drop after the big bump, and at right around the level (5') that I usually get action on hardware at this spot. I wonder if the cold temps had some effect, at least in this situation. Talked to someone with a fish finder on their boat there who was marking a few fish, but nothing special.
[MENTION=4590]Big3d[/MENTION] - Timing is always an issue for those of us who can't make it out every day they want to! However, since the last big rain I have had a lot of flexibility, and got out there on some great days, and then some days that should have been great but just weren't. It's the way it goes....but looking to avoid this happening again, I was hoping to get some folks' opinions on chances for one last decent run before it's over in the Tmook system.

B
bubs
troutdude said:
But HOW would he have gotten TO the "charter", with NO wheels?

Yeah it's a long walk to the coast from Hillsboro....though I'd be willing to do just about anything to put a couple more Fall chinook in the freezer at this point!

T
troutmasta
Wilsons been surprisingly slow this year. My and a friend hooked a hen at Mills on Monday with a spoon that quickly came unbuttoned. I think the cold high pressure is throwing the bite OFF as well. There are fish though just gotta get some better conditions. I'm done fishing till the next rain personally.

B
bubs
Well, I finally shook the skunk off today - landed and released 2 dark bucks on the middle Wilson. Enticed them both out from under the same ledge with a black/silver spinner. Better than nothing! The water still looks great just too few fresh fish around.

Before that spent 4 hours at tidewater with no action, not a single takedown on any of the boats around me either... [MENTION=869]troutmasta[/MENTION] I think I'm with you on waiting til the next rain!

S
SmallStreams
New month, new rain.

C
ChezJfrey
bubs said:
The water still looks great just too few fresh fish around.

Yeah, this has been my thinking after the last couple trips.

Nice that you got some shakes on the line this time around; it's bound to just get better!

T
TimberTodd
Son-in-law and I tossed bobber and eggs from daylight till noon last Friday. Water and temperature sure felt like winter steelhead season. We both walked away skunked but had a fun day. The frost sure seemed to get heavier on the hwy the further down river you went. Saw 2 vehicles into the bank.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
5 Chinook and 2 Steel caught within a 50 yard stretch last Saturday at a location I will keep quiet, but in an upper section of a coastal river that was not the Wilson. My brother in law brought in a 20 pound nook that day on a 4-8 ultra light rig over a period of nearly a half hour! Something to see for sure!

The fish are out there and will improve soon as winter steel will really come on strong by the new year!!!! Then, before you know it....... Springers!!!!! I wouldn't worry about fishing at first light either, like I still see some doing. I think you do a bit better to wait and fish a bit later morning this time of year. Most of the fish I saw caught Saturday including my missed opportunity on a hard bobber down came between 8:30 ish to around noon.

Cheers,

Chris

B
bubs
MrGrumpFish - sounds like a productive day in that area. Good to hear.

My experience is generally consistent with what you say about the bite happening a little later in the AM/afternoon this time of year, at least with the late season chinook. However, I usually still show up around first light because after an hour+ drive from Hillsboro, I don't want to find any jokers in "my" spot!

Also....why was this guy fishing a coastal river in November with an ultra light rig?? That's...atypical..good job landing one though, nice!

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
My bro in law likes the occasional challenge so he brings two rods with him. He doesn't fish that outfit full time. He had just switched to that rod when BANG! Nook!