Where and how to fish for coastal cutthroat in estuaries and bays?

F
Fred
I've been aching use my kayak to fish for coastal cutthroat this summer, except I don't know where to find them. I also don't know what fishing gear and methods would be best to use from a kayak for coastal cutties in salt water. Sandlake, Netarts Bay, Nesstua Bay, Tillamook Bay, and the salmon river estuary are all close to my area, but I can't figure out which ones would be best for cutties. In addition, I'm wondering whether casting or trolling spinners would be better than fly fishing. Any advice fly patterns or lures would help too. Furthermore, Is it best to fish from them when the tide is going out or when it's coming in? Lastly, any information about cutthroat fishing, in general, would be appreciated.

P
pinstriper
Negative on Netarts.

Perhaps consider Nehalem tidewater. Put in downtown or by the bridge at low tide, ride it upriver, come back with the outbound.

Troll spinners and spoons - they are trout! Also consider bobber with bat or jig, just fish suspended, you don’t need to be on th3 bottom like you are looking for salmon.

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
pinstriper said:
Negative on Netarts.

Perhaps consider Nehalem tidewater. Put in downtown or by the bridge at low tide, ride it upriver, come back with the outbound.

Troll spinners and spoons - they are trout! Also consider bobber with bat or jig, just fish suspended, you don’t need to be on th3 bottom like you are looking for salmon.
Thanks

troutdude
troutdude
It's a tad early, but...you may find some.

Two words:

Borden Special. Developed decades ago, by Oregonian Bob Borden. Designed SPECIFICALLY for Bluebacks. At Two Rivers Fly Shop, in downtown Albany. Mitch sells DOZENS of them every season.

Borden Special.jpg

For casting or trolling:

Hot Pink Rooster Tails.

Also Brown Rooster Tails, with gold blade. Their stomachs are FULL of them. At least once they get into fresh water; where they gorge on crawdad fry.

S
Sparklemaker
August and September in the mouths of the tributaries along the lower Columbia pulling Rooster Tails. Pink, Black and Brown have always produced well for me. Be prepared to pick up Jacks and Chinook as well. If you can find an old Les Davis Bolo Spinner? You’re gold!

troutdude
troutdude
Ha. I have a few of those Les Davis Bolo flasher sets. But it's been a LONG time since I've used them. Or have seen anyone else use them.

Reactions: Fred and Sparklemaker
S
Sparklemaker
troutdude said:
Ha. I have a few of those Les Davis Bolo flasher sets. But it's been a LONG time since I've used them. Or have seen anyone else use them.

Say what? I’ll gladly lighten your tackle box for you if you’re talking about the heart shaped blade spinner! I will never understand why they discontinued that one! One of the best in my opinion!

Reactions: troutdude and Fred
F
Fred
troutdude said:
It's a tad early, but...you may find some.

Two words:

Borden Special. Developed decades ago, by Oregonian Bob Borden. Designed SPECIFICALLY for Bluebacks. At Two Rivers Fly Shop, in downtown Albany. Mitch sells DOZENS of them every season.
I actually got one of those at a fly shop along with some reverse spider flies. Would you recommend using a flasher when trolling the lures? Thanks for the spinner tips.

C_Run
C_Run
I have caught sea run cutthroat at three of the above mentioned water bodies this time of year by using small spinners and spoons, casting and trolling. +1 on the borden special. I just started using that last year and they like it indeed. If you are in small water in your kayak, look for structure like log jams where they can hide from predators and cast there. I still have to get out this year myself.

troutdude
troutdude
Fred said:
I actually got one of those at a fly shop along with some reverse spider flies. Would you recommend using a flasher when trolling the lures? Thanks for the spinner tips.

No. The Borden Special is a fly. Not a trolling lure.