When?where?how?

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Ok got some gear to get back out there, but now I need to know where to go for some steelhead fishing. Do they come up the Siuslaw? I hate to sound like a broken record but if anyone wants to take a noob under their wing and show them the ropes and earn a new fishing buddy please let me know. I don't mind driving 50 - 60 miles to learn if that what it takes and can pay my own way :)

S
SteelyDan's
Gotta change that logo first haha. Tons of videos and other sites that can give you a lot of good information on beginning steelhead fishing. You can learn a lot just from watching and reading. And yes steelhead do come up the slaw and are slowly trickling in to the system. Just get out there and try your luck you'll eventually get a good hold on what you need to do. Somcrew just posted a nice thread last week (How to catch winter steelhead) that can get you headed in the right direction and steelheadstalkers.com has a lot of great videos on setups and other informative information. Good luck and be gentle on the natives.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
I'm in the same boat. Donated some tackle to the clack yesterday. Have spent a fortune on gear, days on the wilson and Clackamas, probably the equivalent to weeks reading, and no salmon/steel yet. Fishing here is pretty technical. How much do walking guides cost?

B
bran_man
Yes slaw has a winter steelhead run as well as a great fall chinook/Coho run. Winter run stats getting pretty decent in January, but they start getting caught here and there as early as Thanksgiving times. (just remember with the steelies you can only keep Hatchery fish and release all wilds)

S
SOMCREW
If you need help just ask. Private message us and we will direct you into the right direction!

J
JHawk
Throwing hardware like Vibrax, Mepps, and things like that does get expensive. I hate loosing a $5 spinner on the second cast, especially the one I lost because I forgot to close the snap swivel! You can get pretty much everything you need for making your own first class spinners from places like Fisherman's Shack in Monmouth and Pen-Tac in Yreka, and it's a lot less expensive. I think my cost is about $3 for a #5 silver plated Vibrax, and it's actually a lot of fun putting beads and bodies and shank tubing and blade tape together in different combinations. I bought a wire former, but you can do pretty much the same thing with a couple pairs of needle nose pliars.

P
plumb2fish
Send a pm my way, I fish the slaw a lot, will save ya a seat on the boat....

S
SOMCREW
plumb2fish said:
Send a pm my way, I fish the slaw a lot, will save ya a seat on the boat....

Sounds Like a good day!