When is the ODFW going to do something about the real problem!!!

bass

Most Featured
I am happy that the ODFW is allowed to trap and destroy problem pinnipeds but when are they going to do something about the most problematic creature we face today, the skunk.

I think we can all agree that a seal or a sea lion does not strike fear into our hearts like the dreaded skunk (stinkius maximus). Where are the skunk traps? Why are they allowed to freely roam our waterways when they are not even protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Skunks strike without warning or reason. A perfectly pleasant day on the water can be destroyed by a skunk. I believe they are even considered a varmit and yet the ODFW remains curiously quiet on the biggest threat anglers face.

Just yesterday I encountered one on Hagg lake. I went to Hagg with a light heart and high spirits happy to get out on the water for my first trip of the new year. I was totally unprepared for the attack, but then again who is ever ready for one.

I spent 7 hours battling the vile creature before conceding and acknowledging my defeat. Why is my license money not going to eradicate these demons.

Just a warning and a reminder that skunks do not hibernate, they do not sleep, they feed only on the crushed dreams and tears of anglers. Be safe out there and keep a weather eye when you are on the water.

Yep, went to Hagg yesterday and spent 7 hours on the water without a sniff. I spent 4 hours fishing for bass and 3 hours fishing for trout so it was kind of like a double skunk - the most painful kind. I fished a jig'n'pig, Carolina rig and drop shot for bass and trolled from the surface down to about 35' for trout. I marked a lot of fish, not sure if they are trout, perch of just suspended debris. Well, at least future trips can only get better :)

bass

Most Featured
And the award for Most Outstanding Comedy Writer goes too...

LOL
Thanks @troutdude ! I was laughing when I wrote that up (after I finished crying about the trip). I was thinking back and I believe the times I have done well on Hagg in the winter was on sunny days. I think that makes the midges hatch more and really kicks the food chain into gear. I am wondering if I might have had some success anchoring up and still fishing some power eggs or worms. I will never know, but I only know it could not have been worse :)

Getting my butt handed to me every once in a while helps me from becoming too complacent and formulaic in fishing. I was probably overdue for that :)

Top Bottom