When do the bass spawn?

J
jpjule
When do bass start to spawn in Oregon. I moved up here from Texas and miss catching those angry spawning bass. Any info or tips from you locals would be great. Thanks.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Im also from not around here but with the mild winter i would think late march-early may?

T
Thuggin4Life
It depends on the size of the water you are fishing. small water warms up quicker and I think water temp triggers the spawn.

T
Throbbit _Shane
That's a good point thuggin, id expect bass in ponds to spawn much sooner then lakes....

I think this year ill start to target bass a lot more, now i have two rods in the water :D

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
It depends on the size of the water you are fishing. small water warms up quicker and I think water temp triggers the spawn.

I think when the water temp reaches 55 to 60 degrees it triggers the spawn.

C
colbypearson
63 degree water temp is when largemouth spawn but they begin moving up at around 57-58 but they really start to spawn on the fullmoon of the month when the water reaches about 63 ......texas to here wooo spawn here in local ponds in southern oregon fish can move up in march or april but southern oregon is warmer than many other places here the spawn in oregon can be tricky the only tips i have for hitting it spot on is getting the current conditions and targeting them from 57-66 degrees ..... i have seen bass on beds in midsummer in our mountain lakes also our bass are northern strain for the most part so you can fish them earlier and later in the year sometimes i got my last bass of "
'09 in november witch is pretty late but 09 was warm it was 21" and pushing 5.5lbs so there are some good ones here but not texas big lol its a great place to fish state of oregon:D

J
juggernaut506
The ponds where I fish for largemouth usually start spawning in late May to early June and the smallmouth in the Calapooia and Willamette around here seem to start around late April to early May.

X
X24
I have been doing a lot of research getting ready for this upcoming season. Everything Ive read points to late May ta early June. Which is when the water is hitting the 50-60 degree mark. This spring-summer isn't getting here quick enough. I plan on pulling in some big ol'HAWGS this year!

C
colbypearson
X24 said:
I have been doing a lot of research getting ready for this upcoming season. Everything Ive read points to late May ta early June. Which is when the water is hitting the 50-60 degree mark. This spring-summer isn't getting here quick enough. I plan on pulling in some big ol'HAWGS this year!

im so stoked for the 2010 season i started on the 16th and 17th at shasta won the 1st tournament of the year :dance: the vid is up somewhere on here lol biggest bass of 2010 so far is 3.16 spotted bass but i hope for atleast 2- 8lbrs largemouth and atleast a 5lb smallie this year i will be workin my butt off this year to do so if anyone wants to go fishing in southern oregon for bass p.m or reply to this and we can go get some hawgs i fish out of a kickboat a lot but my grandpa and i go fishing in our bassboat all the time too:D

find small bodies of water with big bass and they will be spawning end of march lets all remember the fish still bite before the spawn theyre biting now so slow down and rub the bark off some of those trees and locate them they could be suspended too and on sunny days they will be on rock because it warms faster than silt or mud but let me know how you do if anyone has questions on southern oregon bass fishing feel free to ask :)

N
nwkiller
SO catfish

SO catfish

big channels in the resi's down there

C
colbypearson
like channel catfish???? i think the lake record for emigrant is like 14lbs unnofically i saw it in the paper like 7 months ago they havent been in there long though they should grow big in that lake its the warmest in my area

T
Taylormade
My experience with spawning bass in Oregon is to take water temps. You can never say the spawn is this month or that month here in this state due to the fact our weather can have such change from one year to the next. When I was a youngster I would fish mostly farm ponds for bass and I have found bass spawning as late as July or as early as March. If we have had a warm winter then I know to start checking temps as early as February on the North side and when I find water temps getting into the mid 50's then I start to watch out. Lakes I will do the same but in a lake the spawn can come in many stages. I will try the North side of a lake first and look for shallows close to deep water or Creek Channels for staging bass. Prespawn bass can be a lot of fun to catch! Just keep your eyes open and watch the water temps, that's the best way to figure out the spawn. Also consider cold fronts, they can cause a setback in spawning bass, you may see them up on the beds but a cold front comes in and they move back to prespawn holding spots.

F
Finneus Polebender
Lots of good info guys, I tend to agree with our weather being so different year to year the spawn can run as early as march and as late as june in colder waters. Started fishin late march last year and by april 5th we were into spawn aggressive fish , on 4-23-09 had a 13 fish day none under 2 lbs and two of them over 4lbs. things slowed last year from mid may to mid june , then I got busy out of town missed the whole fall gig. I think I will start 1st of march this year as long as the weather holds up, think I may have missed a little action last year. Riverfisher had bass in the boat as early as feb last year.

J
jpjule
I fish the willy around pdx for smallmouth mostly. Do smallies move to the shallows to spawn like the largemouth? I have not fished winter/spring here so I have no idea what to expect. No boat so it is bank fishing for me. Have searched the web a bit for info but there isn't much out there for this region.

C
colbypearson
smallmouth spawn in 4-15 feet of water normally depending on water clarity the muddier the shallower and vise versa smallmouth also spawn from 60-63 degree water a few degrees earlier than largemouth there is no saying what month will be the ticket due to oregons unstable spring conditions but check the water in a few months and check we have good prespawn bites here too if you know some good prespawn spots it can be fun :D

in clear reservoirs they may move up earlier a few degree's but the water must be at a stable level for a few weeks to aid in the spawn if there is a lowering or highering of the water the fish will move back out the conditions must be appropriate :)

this is a good contributor to the spawn for largemouth at lost creek lake they raise the water up and down fairly often during spring putting spawning areas high and dry :rolleyes:

H
Hawk
nwkiller said:
big channels in the resi's down there

I've c&r many Channel Catfish outta the CA Aquaduct, up to 20lb. Also many nice Striped Bass. Favorite bait is Pileworms or Bloodworms & a little baitfish out of the canals. Also fished the SAC River & Delta.

:D:D:D

:cool::cool:

S
SalmonStalker
Hey colby what part of southern oregon?

C
colbypearson
south west for the most part i wish i could go fish all of these get togethers but (mom) doesn't want to make the journey i can't blame here though :lol:

um medford area lakes like emigrant-applegate-agate-lost creek-hyatt-howard etc.....:D

S
SalmonStalker
Yeah thats a little far for me. My mom doesn't want to drive me that far away:)

C
colbypearson
ya i can't blame you its crazy how seemingly everyones in northern oregon :lol: