Wheatland ferry

B
bass_junkie
Hey I was just seeing if anyone has fished the wheatland ferry a report said that there was a good chance to take some Chinook there so has anyone fished there before?

B
beaverfan
What do you do troll back and forth across the river? J/K I've been by there a few times and never seen anyone banking it. Have seen some boats though. As far as what to use you could try a spin'n'gow. I've heard using bait in the area can be tough because of all the Pikeminnows. I've never fished higher than St. Paul though so don't listen to me!

M
markasd
Yes I know that area very well.. my old stompin' grounds. I wont waste time down there unless the counts are over 700, three to five days prior. Call me stubborn, but I have put in some serious bank time down there and only pulled a few fish - steel and salmon. Small window of opportunity as the algae blooms here in the next few weeks. Just start hittin' it - on the east side below the ferry - west side will produce summers on the gravel bar just below the ferry. One of the best tips I had been given by some of the "old timers" - dont cast so far! Keep it within 15-25 ft. Spin-n-glow, prawn spinners, Kwikfish - plunk on!

As far as I can guesstimate, roughly 45 hrs per fish!!

B
bass_junkie
Alright so would I have better luck trying over at the Greenway by the Mennonite school?

M
markasd
Thats good water over there... usually someone down there plunkin' for em..

B
Bullitt
markasd said:
Yes I know that area very well.. my old stompin' grounds. I wont waste time down there unless the counts are over 700, three to five days prior. Call me stubborn, but I have put in some serious bank time down there and only pulled a few fish - steel and salmon. Small window of opportunity as the algae blooms here in the next few weeks. Just start hittin' it - on the east side below the ferry - west side will produce summers on the gravel bar just below the ferry. One of the best tips I had been given by some of the "old timers" - dont cast so far! Keep it within 15-25 ft. Spin-n-glow, prawn spinners, Kwikfish - plunk on!

As far as I can guesstimate, roughly 45 hrs per fish!!

My 2 cents.....

The fish are at your feet so 15-25 feet out maybe too far. They run in 4 to 6' of water. Spinners and prawn spinners are what many use. As stated, bait can be tough as it will attract pikeminnows and bass. There is not much time left so you better get out there as the window is starting to close already as the algae is already there.

Oh and FWIW, 50-100 or so a day is more than enough for me to hit the water. It's been a good year. :D

M
markasd
Sounds like you have it dialed in! I need to try a bit closer maybe? May bring up my catch rate. Yes, the algae is a bloomin!

mark

B
Bullitt
markasd said:
Sounds like you have it dialed in! I need to try a bit closer maybe? May bring up my catch rate. Yes, the algae is a bloomin!

mark

I fish out of a boat but I target 4 to 6' of depth off the bank using mostly spinners with scent. After 20+ years I hope I'm a little dialed in. :) However you are correct, some years it can take many hours per fish or for no fish. This year has been the best in the last 5 or 7. We might have a couple weeks depending on the weather. Good luck.