What's your favorite powerbait???

U
UGLYSTICKER
this morning i limited out at Deerhorn with Turbo Pink Lemonade Power bait.
yesterday at the same spot worms and corkys worked great. today was a powerbait day.
the fish hit powerbait much more aggresively and faster than worms today.
What is your favorite PowerBait flavor??? Garlic??? Salmon Peach??? Yellow Corn???
here's today's catch.
dh71611.png

D
Drew9870
My personal favorite is the one that is bright with fishmeal in it.

People may have their favorites, but 90% of the time they are all just as effective, people don't realize hatchery fish are like aquarium fish, and they spent their most important learning years accepting food from humans and never knowing what is natural, their brain does not just up and develop when they get dumped, people think wayyyyyyyyyyyy too hard when it comes to stockers, ford fenders and specific colors of Powerbait are a frickin joke, majority of the time a stocker can be enticed with multiple presentations of the same lure/bait, just gotta understand them.

Reactions: beaverfan
J
JHawk
Rainbow and the bright green have worked well for us in the past couple of weeks.

U
UGLYSTICKER
Drew9870 said:

People may have their favorites, but 90% of the time they are all just as effective, people don't realize hatchery fish are like aquarium fish, and they spent their most important learning years accepting food from humans and never knowing what is natural, their brain does not just up and develop when they get dumped, people think wayyyyyyyyyyyy too hard when it comes to stockers, ford fenders and specific colors of Powerbait are a frickin joke, majority of the time a stocker can be enticed with multiple presentations of the same lure/bait, just gotta understand them.

i'm inclined to believe scent is more important. after i read Halverson's book maybe i'll have a better understanding of pelletheads.

U
UGLYSTICKER
JHawk said:
Rainbow and the bright green have worked well for us in the past couple of weeks.

i have not tried the green yet. does the green have a recognizable oder? i have 6 or 7 different flavors the corn yellow smells like corn the salmon peach smells like salmon eggs the garlic deffinatly smells like garlic,LOL!!!

J
JHawk
UGLYSTICKER said:
i have not tried the green yet. does the green have a recognizable oder? i have 6 or 7 different flavors the corn yellow smells like corn the salmon peach smells like salmon eggs the garlic deffinatly smells like garlic,LOL!!!

Not that I can tell. I use it more as a bright color on darker days when the sun's not shining. Seemed to do the trick last time out.

M
Moe
Yellow power eggs, FTW! lol

troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:

In my 45 years of experience, there have been MULTIPLE times when color definitely DID make a difference my friend. One prime example occurred at Olalla Reservoir back in the mid 80's.

Those fish hit anything that was green; and ONLY green. I tried other colors, other methods like spinners, etc. But, it was anything green that day. Green Power Bait, Green marsh mellows. As long as it was green, we caught fish. If not, those peeps got skunked (and the bite would die OFF, for those of us who tried other colors).

Some of us started running out of green, and immediately stopped catching fish. A kid on a bike road 3 miles back to Toledo. He then made the 3 mile return trip, on his two-wheeler. He had a bag of GREEN Power Bait. He had purchased each jar, back then, for around a buck fifty. We all gladly handed him a 5 spot, for a jar of Green bait. Guess what? Immediately the bite returned, and everyone proceeded to limit out!

That is only one example. There have been many more. So, I know that from decades of experience on the water...that "color does matter"! For that reason, I always carry 6 or 7 different colors of Power Eggs.

BTW, I am not the only one that sometimes fishes for "pellet heads". Look how many view that "apple pie" thread has had. I wonder how many of them, have been OFFended by blanket statements claiming that pellet heads are stupid (and then infer that so are the peeps that fish for them). Perhaps it would be wise to reconsider such blanketed and repeated comments (particularly from a site MOD)?

I will go along with the train of thought, that hatchery "put and take" trout have been "spoon fed" by humans (so to speak). And they have been conditioned to think, that is the only way that food is "supplied". However, such "conditioning" wears OFF in a fairly short period of time.

Plus, the fish are starved prior to being dropped OFF into their new lakes and ponds. So, they may appear to be stupid for a time. I would be too, if I were starved and in a medical condition known as shock. But, they eventually return to rely on their native instincts when it comes to food--and they are far from stupid.

The defense rests your honor. Thank you for hearing me out.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
I've yet to travel to a water in which the stockers didn't react positively to my Brown and Yellow mix, from Applegate Res all the way up to Green Peter, Detroit, Ollala, Timber Linn, Silverton Res, Wirth, Walling, and St. Louis. Heck, I hardly care about the color of my fly, as long as it can be seen and it moves right. Only carry 1-2 jars, because I may have one jar with a ball of Brown/Yellow mix or seperate jars of Brown + Yellow.

U
UGLYSTICKER
JHawk said:
Not that I can tell. I use it more as a bright color on darker days when the sun's not shining. Seemed to do the trick last time out.

the green was real popular at JCP but i was slaying them with garlic. i'm fixen to go to Freddy's tonite if they have green i will add it to my arsenal.

Gunga
Gunga
My all time favorite is powerbait crappie nibbles! doesn't just catch crappie either!

E
eggs
I am no expert.. you will have to ask OnTheFly for advice!

U
UGLYSTICKER
eggs said:

um...i'm just curious about what flavors/colors are most popular.

my personal #1 favorite is Turbo Pink Lemonade. my #2s are Garlic, Corn Yellow, Salmon Peach and Rainbow. I've used more flavors but never really enough to conduct a test.
Uncle Josh's Sherbert/Shrimp works great too but it's a lot more messy than the Berkley products.

U
UGLYSTICKER
eggs said:

um...i'm just curious about what flavors/colors are most popular.

my personal #1 favorite is Turbo Pink Lemonade. my #2s are Garlic, Corn Yellow, Salmon Peach and Rainbow. I've used more flavors but never really enough to conduct a test.
Uncle Josh's Sherbert/Shrimp works great too but it's a lot more messy than the Berkley products.

D
Drew9870
eggs said:

So that's why I saw Orange PB floating down the Little N Fork on that trip, Jim said it was supposed to be a strike indicator, I knew he was bluffing :D.

B
Boo
I like the bright orange with sparkles in it. I also like the orange and yellow power eggs.

H
halibuthitman
JHawk said:
This is about the smartest thing Ive ever heard said about power bait.. powerbait floats, thats why it works.. it replaced the mixed bag of colored marshmallows we used to use WAY back in the olden days before TNN and the outdoor life network. You did ask what flavor.... if I was gonna chug beers and lawn chair fish I would go with the origenal pink... it was designrd to mimick the smell of hatchery pellets. but once again you would have to run this by OnTheFly or BigSteel to confirm the info-

Reactions: Markcanby
U
UGLYSTICKER
Boo said:
I like the bright orange with sparkles in it. I also like the orange and yellow power eggs.

i tried the yellow power eggs it took like only 3 min before fish on.

U
UGLYSTICKER
halibuthitman said:
This is about the smartest thing Ive ever heard said about power bait.. powerbait floats, thats why it works.. it replaced the mixed bag of colored marshmallows we used to use WAY back in the olden days before TNN and the outdoor life network.

i've met ppl that use the mini-marshmellow and worm for bait. it still works like it did in the 50's.

Reactions: halibuthitman
M
Markcanby
I wish OnTheFly would tell me how to keep it on my hook:think::think:!! I always lose it on my backcast.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: halibuthitman