What's working on the salmon river?

B

Brian Dupree

Hey everyone.
Just a question, I am new to salmon fishing, me and a couple of buddies are going down Wed. 10/08/08 to the Salmon River Hwy 101. And was wondering what was working as far as bait goes, or even a good hole. Any info would be a great help. Need to bring one home, to prove to the Wife that fishing is not a waste of time and money..lol Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Highway 101 hole

Highway 101 hole

Hey everyone.
Just a question, I am new to salmon fishing, me and a couple of buddies are going down Wed. 10/08/08 to the Salmon River Hwy 101. And was wondering what was working as far as bait goes, or even a good hole. Any info would be a great help. Need to bring one home, to prove to the Wife that fishing is not a waste of time and money..lol Thanks everyone.

Brian;
Good to hear from you and to hear you're going after "the big ones". I went by the popular Highway 101 hole last Sunday and counted 28 people with poles in hand. I heard there were more than a dozen brought in using big spinners. One gent said to use the biggest ones you have. I didn't even try to go down because it was literally clogged with fisherfolk,small children,barking dogs and lawn chairs up the wazoo. Going on a Wednsday is probably the best idea, it shouldn't be crowded at all. But I think I would still get there early. It is a little bridge that crosses hwy 101,it does have a sign but you have to have a pretty good idea where it's at. I know the little town of Otis is popular too, but have no idea where to fish at there. Good luck and don't forget about us when you get back.:D
Barb

A

ArcticAmoeba

If you can find a spot in Otis, were you can park and mosey to the river, that may be your best bet, but when I fish the 101 hole, I always do the polar opposite of what all the other guys are getting wet. Which majority of the time is small, good quality, "hot" eggs. I like to drift bait just above, and just below, most preferebly the other anglers, the fish get used to seeing a bunch of trolling spinners, and will get wise real quick. Coho is a game of adptation, so bring everuthing you have, and start large, and start working your way down until you find one good short striker. Pick 1 or 2 berries off of your skein, or switch to a slightly smaller spinner, and usually it is pretty lights out fishing when you find something that works, that the fish are not acclimated to. Good luck man.

E

ezmoney

Salmon River at 101

Salmon River at 101

SalmonRv101.jpg
My neighbor and I have been there twice (Sept 08)... Once at low tide and once at high... Got skunked both times... Went on a Tuesday and a Thursday to avoid crowds...Saw about a dozen people around the bridge each time... I can't imaging what goes on there during the weekend... Low tide we saw 6 Coho pulled out... High tide only one... I was impressed to see that all snagged salmon were thrown back,,, nice to see people following the rules... If the rain continues I think we'll try again in mid-October...

Last edited:
B

Brian Dupree

Thanks for the advise

Thanks for the advise

this is what i came home with!

Last edited by a moderator:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Congratulations Brian!

Congratulations Brian!

Congratulations,Brian! :clap: Is that your first one,ever? Sure is a beauty and worthy of gracing any wall in the house. Thanks for the picture,but I need to ask a few questions. Where were you? What did you use? Was it "combat" fishing? How long did you have to wait for it (that day)? How much of a fight did it put up? Like I said, just a few. ;) Again, congrats! :clap:
Barb

E

ezmoney

Great Picture!!!

Great Picture!!!

this is what i came home with!

A picture says a thousand words... Nice going... Did you catch the fish at Otis or 101 bridge???

SalmonRiverat101.jpg

I would someday like to post a picture like that instead of scenery... I was at the bridge 10-8-08 about 6:30 am fishing in the rain... High tide was 9:55 am so I stuck around and the only thing I saw were seals and birds... Tried a squid lure and corkies... As you can see by the picture everyone left before me... Drove to the Hatchery and saw some of the people from the 101 bridge... There were 8 fishermen chasing a snagger there... Rose Lodge was next... Near combat fishing over one fish... Drove back to Salem,,, stopped by Mc Donald's and bought a Filet-a-fish sandwich to console me and called it a day...
ATT2.gif