What's on your lanyard?

T
ToLiveIsToFlyFish
Hi all,

I'm new to this board, and new to fly fishing as well.

A friend has let me tag along a couple of times and use some of his gear. I think I've been hooked, so I'm starting to accumulate some of my own gear.

I was wondering, what's on your lanyard? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

My plan is to focus mostly on trout catch & release for now, although I might take one now and then if the circumstances are right.

Thanks!

H
halibuthitman
mostly a bunch of old crap I barely use anymore.... I find my sciccors to be the most useful items, and sometimes floatant, well anyway, welcome to the big show.:cool:

G
gonefirefighting
I use a drying patch in my pocket and snips are clipped on a zipper on what ever I am wearing at the time.

never got into the fad of 50 dollars worth of nonsense that I had to pack around and never use.

I think the only thing I use on a lanyard is my net, and it is pretty small in itself.

I use a fly wallet in my back pocket and have a leatherman type tool on my belt or in my pocket.

watched my brother spend more than 120 bucks on a vest and 80 bucks on tools/gadgets that he never uses.

O
OnTheFly
Fly shops are your best bet to find quality stuff. Check out Kauffmans in Tigard. Kaufmann Streamborn - Everything for the Fly Fisher - Since 1969 - Store Locator Ever since a mouse chewed up my vest and used it for nesting I never bought another one. If you walk streams and rivers, a small day pack or pouch will carry about anything; fly box, leader, extra spool, etc. I just prefer to traval light. There is one tool that, I think, is worth having. It's a 'Dr. Slick' brand hemostat. It is a stainless steel, precision made tool and the cool thing are the scissors and hook eye cleaning spike built into it. No more need for nail clippers and no, it's not a Leatherman tool! Trust me.

Last edited:
B
Backcastwards
Good pair of hemostats clipped to a shirt pocket. A nipper with a hook eye cleaner and a hook file. Floatant if you are using dries. Almost forgot the nail knot tool.
Gary

R
redhawk50
Got to love the hemostats, get a good pair it is worth it. I keep my tippet near by as well.

H
halibuthitman
well I have to say if catch and release is appealing to you the hemostats are almost the most important item you can have, but as a beginner you need to learn to cast that rod correctly, before you aquire too many bad habits, I don't think I can watch one more crappy caster out there... this is key... there is a lot of free info on the web on casting and dozens of books, even lessons through kaufmans. Good fishin-

H
halibuthitman
ok, gotta come clean, my best flyfishin buddy is sitting next to me and laughed and said I should give a full manifest of my backpack on our last trip we did on the karluk... so, here is what a 27 yrs of expirence flyfisher had for a day trip....
1. two cans of redbull
2. 2.5 packs of marb reds and 1 bic lighter
3. 1 small flybox misc flys
4. broken camera ( my wifes )
5. 2 clips 45 acp
6. 1 para ordinance 45 acp
7. hemos, clippers, and 1 matchbook of lead
8. 1/2 box of smores poptarts
9. fishing licence and a casexxx sodbuster knife
and thats it.....

Last edited:
Reactions: gonefirefighting
O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
ok, gotta come clean, my best flyfishin buddy is sitting next to me and laughed and said I should give a full manifest of my backpack on our last trip we did on the karluk... so, here is what a 27 yrs of expirence flyfisher had for a day trip....
1. two cans of redbull
2. 2.5 packs of marb reds and 1 bic lighter
3. 1 small flybox misc flys
4. broken camera ( my wifes )
5. 2 clips 45 acp
6. 1 para ordinance 45 acp
7. hemos, clippers, and 1 matchbook of lead
8. 1/2 box of smores poptarts
9. fishing licence and a casexxx sodbuster knife
and thats it.....

:clap:

T
Troutier Bassier
Redbull Gives you Wings, Better for Fly Fishing.

L
Lostinthemix
Halibuthitman,thats almost exactly what I carry except I'm a 1911 kind of guy so thats what I carry........and whatever poptarts I have available and I smoke camels lol.
Lost

J
joesnuffy
LOL< that list is great!

F
FishFinger
LOL my gear up is essentially the same with 3 notable exceptions....

1) A blood knot tool
2) American Spirit periques
3) Kimber 1911 .45 ACP

A
Anyfishisfine
That ammo is like carrying around bars of gold these days.

T
Troutier Bassier
the .45 is for Snaggers. ;)