What??????

L

lilsalmon

Please clue me in....what is it about carp that is so special...I mean to each his own but....please......whats up with this? I would much rather get a feisty redband, bow or steel then one of those ugly things......Even the beautiful white fish I caught on the Crooked this morning is prettier than.

I will probably get a lot of s**t for this but what the heck. This is just MHO.....and I am curious....:confused:

S

steelhead_stalkers

They are pretty good fighters, they bull dog a lot like salmon. Plus they can be caught on fly gear which is pretty fun. I have not done much of it because like you said we have so many great species in Oregon but they can be fun. :D

M

Mike123

I bet if you had a 12lber on that fly rod of yours you'd be excited to say the least.. haha.

I've actually considered targeting them here sometime soon.

troutdude

troutdude

When I was growing up, I was taught (by 4th & 5th generation Oregonians) to view Carp as a trash fish. If we caught any, we'd toss them on the bank and leave them. Or, we'd take 'em home to fertilize the garden or flower beds.

Plus, the frickin carp choked out my favorite stretch of bass water, a few years ago. And the dumb things even hit my surface poppers and plugs! So, they proved that they aren't just bottom feeders (even though I still view them that way).

However, Carp fishing is the #1 fresh water sport fishery in England (maybe other places too). They even have nearly as much tackle for them, as we do for our favorite species. So, to each his own I suppose.

L

Left Bank

If we caught any, we'd toss them on the bank and leave them. Or, we'd take 'em home to fertilize the garden or flower beds.

When I was 5-7 years old we had this old neighbor who had the most beautiful garden of roses you could imagine. We'd go out with him a couple times a year to Sauvies Island pull in carp that he'd bury around the roses. As always, once he'd bury them you wouldn't want to be around his yard for a couple of weeks because the smell was terrible.

That was the first fishing memory for me and what a great experience to pull up 5-10 lb carp. By the end of the afternoon our arms hurt so bad we couldn't even lift the fish.

M

Moe

Carp fight very well and I remember a time where the carp bite was on, but I couldn't land any. They kept snapping my line, even with the drag low they would spool me and break OFF. The weekend before this I caught a very large brooder, and two other very nice ones. They didn't snap my line. The carp fought a hell of a lot harder. I hooked and lost 12 carp that day. The fights were so intense and awsome.

M

Markcanby

If you want a fight go carp fishing.:lol: I mean over in Utah they have guided carp trips.:shock:

G

GDBrown

My best trout fishing trip was opening day at Yuba Dam in Utah! Fishing was terrible but the shooting was great! The fish and game officer asked us to please make sure all our shots were steep enough to not ricochet off the water and to get the carp up onto the bank so they didn't foul the water as they rotted. We must have taken 200 adult spawning carp that day and we did not put a dent in the overall population in the reservoir. That was when I was much younger and had less respect for life but I still remember how much fun it was! There are some large carp in the local cemetery pond here in Hillsboro but they have a no fishing sign up so I guess I'll have to leave them alone. They can be fun to target (fish for) when conditions are right and there is not something you would rather fish for. Sometimes it is just nice to have something, anything, pull on the line and if a carp will do that then that is what floats my boat.

GD

I wonder what it would be like to have one on the 4wt?

J

john montana

For me...

Reason #1: the method
I stalk them in shallow water. It is 100 percent sight fishing, so i have to spot the fish at a distance, then sneak up close enough to cast a fly at the fish. Carp don't move very far for an artificial fly so the cast has to be very accurate (within a foot or so). I only cast at fish I can see, so it is a lot like hunting. I do a lot of walking while searching for tailing fish. It is fairly similar to bone fishing.

Reason #2: the fish
Feeding carp are very spooky, so it is challenging. They are plentiful, though, so you can find enough targets to avoid frustration. They fight extremely hard (I have seen more backing fishing carp than all of my other fishing put together, and have broken 7 rods in 4 years). And their primary feeding method (tail down eating crayfish and nymphs) is perfect for knee deep water and a flyrod.

Reason #3: the size
They get very, very big. The average fish in the Columbia is about 9 lbs and I routinely catch fish up to 25 lbs. I have landed two carp over 30 lbs and spotted bigger fish, but those real monsters are very hard to get close to and even harder to land if you are lucky enough to hook them.

Here are my two 30 lbers:
IMGP1144.jpg
IMGP3460.jpg

I get the whole carp stigma thing, but they are flat out a ton of fun to catch on a flyrod.

F

Finneus Polebender

Think john montana should have quieted the nay sayers , try to tell me those fish hes got in the pics above didn't put up one heck of a fight and I will call you blind !!!!!!!!! as well as a speaker without experience!

G

GraphiteZen

For me...

Reason #1: the method
I stalk them in shallow water. It is 100 percent sight fishing, so i have to spot the fish at a distance, then sneak up close enough to cast a fly at the fish. Carp don't move very far for an artificial fly so the cast has to be very accurate (within a foot or so). I only cast at fish I can see, so it is a lot like hunting. I do a lot of walking while searching for tailing fish. It is fairly similar to bone fishing.

Reason #2: the fish
Feeding carp are very spooky, so it is challenging. They are plentiful, though, so you can find enough targets to avoid frustration. They fight extremely hard (I have seen more backing fishing carp than all of my other fishing put together, and have broken 7 rods in 4 years). And their primary feeding method (tail down eating crayfish and nymphs) is perfect for knee deep water and a flyrod.

Reason #3: the size
They get very, very big. The average fish in the Columbia is about 9 lbs and I routinely catch fish up to 25 lbs. I have landed two carp over 30 lbs and spotted bigger fish, but those real monsters are very hard to get close to and even harder to land if you are lucky enough to hook them.

Here are my two 30 lbers:
IMGP1144.jpg
IMGP3460.jpg

I get the whole carp stigma thing, but they are flat out a ton of fun to catch on a flyrod.

That's just a big case of arm pump right there. Holy COW! on a fly rod..... wow.

J

JeepsAreBuilt

When I joined the board.. I could not believe how much I hear about carp fishing. I Always thought they were no good to eat.. and are flat out ugly. So, what do u guys do with them ? Kill em, eat em, throw em back(alive), or what ? Can you eat the big ones ?

G

GraphiteZen

When I joined the board.. I could not believe how much I hear about carp fishing. I Always thought they were no good to eat.. and are flat out ugly. So, what do u guys do with them ? Kill em, eat em, throw em back(alive), or what ? Can you eat the big ones ?

Look at it this way: If you were fishing just for the sake of fishing (Catch and Release) would you rather land 5 or 6 10 to 18 inch trout, or a few 15 to 20 pound carp? Small fish get boring fast.

J

john montana

I let them go. I don't really eat much fish, and carp would be pretty low on my personal food fish list! I don't believe in wanton waste so I don't kill them. Plus, the reality is that the carp in the Columbia are like the smallmouth bass: here to stay. Both species are invasive, but getting either out of that river is impossible at this point.

G

GraphiteZen

IMGP0333.jpg

That's a carp on a fly rod.

Impressive blog man. I will be in touch as soon as my elbow heals!

L

lilsalmon

Okay JM your pics are very impressive.....good for you....myself, though, would rather catch 8-10 small trout rather than stalking the big one. I never tire of trout. Each one is different and beautiful and always goes back for the next person to catch (unless they are hatchery in a lake and someone I know wants trout) I have never had a boring trout on my 6 wt. Like has been said before, to each his own.......tight lines

J

john montana

I dig trout too...you just asked what the deal was so I tried to explain it. Trust me, i know i'm not going to change many minds...totally fine with that. I grew up in MT chasing trout on big dry flies, fished the D religously for my first few years in OR...i love trout and trout fishing. the carp bug bit me about 4-5 years ago and with 2 kids and limited fishing time, i focus most of my energy on carp nowadays. heck, I even built my own bamboo rod to fish the tiny creeks in MN when I visit the in laws. Trout fishing is fun too!

Top Bottom