What? You don't need a license to harvest "non game" fish???

troutdude
troutdude
A friend of mine was recently told--by a Walmart employee--that he does NOT need a fishing license, to harvest "non game" fish. I do not know the source of this information. But, I thought it might be helpful to dispel this rumor on here.

Whoever told him that a license is not needed for "non game" fish; obviously did NOT read the reg's! The only time that you can fish without a license, is during Free Fishing Weekend (June 11 & 12 this year).

And the only things that you can catch without a license--the rest of the year--are:

Smelt
Crayfish (crawdads)
Bullfrogs

That is IT. Period.

What some peeps may tend to call "non game fish" still REQUIRE a license. So basically, if you are angling (fishing) for any fish in Oregon; you had better be sure to have at least a current Angling License--or you could easily wind up with a ticket and fine.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DO NOT TRUST WHAT SOMEONE TELLS YOU...READ THE REG'S FOR YOURSELF TO BE SURE. IF YOU HAVE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS...CALL ODFW. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL EVERY TIME I HAVE CONTACTED THEM.

I gleaned all of this information, by reading the 2011 ODFW Regulations book. If, however, I am mistaken about any of this...please let me know.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah, so don't trust a wal mart employee. make sure you read the regs before taking advice from someone ;) thanks for starting this thread jay it will sure help some people out

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thanks for setting me straight.

Y
youngbuck307
Isn't Washington like that???

D
Drew9870
Ya, he's probably from there.

M
Modest_Man
youngbuck307 said:
Isn't Washington like that???

In Washington You do not need a license if you are fishing for common carp, crawfish, bullfrogs, smelt, or to collect relic shells.

Q
Quillspirit
His mistake was probably that you don't need a harvest tag for non-game fish; you still need a license however.