What yarn colors work best for you?

Y
Yentz
Hey folks, gonna place an order at Poptop, and I wanted to know what your go-to color tends to be. I know White and Pink are pretty standard, but any others that tend to work well?

A
Anyfishisfine
Red, black and orange have caught me fish, but it depends where/when.

K
Kodiak
I've caught fish on just about every color pop-a-top makes. Just fish what auto fisher tells ya too. You should do all right.

M
Mad dog
Peach, cherise, pinks in clearer water, black in the summer when the water gets warm....sometimes dark green gets their interest. White on occassion, especially in colder water. Brighter colors in off-colored/muddy water. I like to blend them and cut then pretty small in low clear water....I like small baits!

A
autofisher
Kodiak said:
I've caught fish on just about every color pop-a-top makes. Just fish what auto fisher tells ya too. You should do all right.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that :lol: Honestly, I would say it comes down to what you feel you're the most confident. I've had people tell me about success with quite a few different colors of yarn, and seen even more. It really does depend on water levels, clarity, and where your at. Tell you what. I'm headed up to the Wilson tomorrow with some other members. I'll give you a report on what works best for me. If you're making yarn balls and what not, my suggestion is to try to stay around nickel sized balls, if not smaller. Mix up your colors and don't necessarily go with the "norm". IMO invention is the mother of all fishing tools.

H
here2fish
Kodiak said:

:rolleyes:

B
BobberDown
i can't say on the pop a top i have not had the pleshure of useing it yet but i will tell you if his colors are like the glo bug yarn i use the shrimp pink salmon egg hot pink white red flame steelhead orange purple and black i manley use it in tieing my yarn bugs aka Globugs if you have those colors you can't go wrong but i manly fish the shrimp pink and hot pink and white 90 % of the time whether i am fishing with corky and yarn or makeing yarn bugs

S
Salmonhungry
Could not of said it better. I too am a glo bug yarn fan. I think it fluffs up in the water better. Just a heads up and not to high jack a thread, but you can enter to win free yarn from the glo bug site. I did and won - got myself a three year supply of yarn for free.

Can't fail with pinks, white, oranges, blacks and reds.

BobberDown said:
i can't say on the pop a top i have not had the pleshure of useing it yet but i will tell you if his colors are like the glo bug yarn i use the shrimp pink salmon egg hot pink white red flame steelhead orange purple and black i manley use it in tieing my yarn bugs aka Globugs if you have those colors you can't go wrong but i manly fish the shrimp pink and hot pink and white 90 % of the time whether i am fishing with corky and yarn or makeing yarn bugs

K
Kodiak
Salmonhungry said:
Could not of said it better. I too am a glo bug yarn fan. I think it fluffs up in the water better. Just a heads up and not to high jack a thread, but you can enter to win free yarn from the glo bug site. I did and won - got myself a three year supply of yarn for free.

Can't fail with pinks, white, oranges, blacks and reds.

IF you have never had a yarn move like a jig try some of pop-a-tops stuff. I watched coho charge halfway across Eagle Creek just to nail little strips of purple..it was really fun to watch. My son drilled a 13lb buck on some amber ale (eagle creek thread). I will be putting some pink, red and white to the test on winters verry shortly.

S
santiamsailor
Great thread guys. Needed that info hittin the Clack fridday and was actually wondering some of this myself.:clap:

A
autofisher
BobberDown said:

If you haven't had the pleasure.....hopefully you'll be at the event to give it a try.

My personal favorites, if I'm just using yarn and not a ball, is either purplehaze, the new one pineapple express, and the AMF. When I'm making yarn balls, I like to add a bit of contrast. I'll use purplehaze with pineapple express, amber ale with gunmetal, you get the idea. More often than not, I'm trying different color combo's at the water.

C
carl hungis
Kodiak said:
IF you have never had a yarn move like a jig try some of pop-a-tops stuff. I watched coho charge halfway across Eagle Creek just to nail little strips of purple..it was really fun to watch. My son drilled a 13lb buck on some amber ale (eagle creek thread). I will be putting some pink, red and white to the test on winters verry shortly.

can you enlighten us on the pop a top stuff?:pray:

C
carl hungis
autofisher said:
If you haven't had the pleasure.....hopefully you'll be at the event to give it a try.

My personal favorites, if I'm just using yarn and not a ball, is either purplehaze, the new one pineapple express, and the AMF. When I'm making yarn balls, I like to add a bit of contrast. I'll use purplehaze with pineapple express, amber ale with gunmetal, you get the idea. More often than not, I'm trying different color combo's at the water.

purpleized pineapple express? sounds like some killer grass!:D

A
autofisher
carl hungis said:
purpleized pineapple express? sounds like some killer grass!:D

Haha. Ya know... I get that a lot. :D I chose the names to be different and to appeal to a different generation. I just couldn't see myself naming the yarns like I was on HGTV. Summer breeze, cool breeze, sunset...blah blah blah BORING.

A
autofisher
carl hungis said:

What would you like to know about it? Maybe I can help.:D

O
OnTheDrop
Damn im looking to get some of that!

H
halibuthitman
you should make a tye died one in yellow and red and call it "what they are biting on" you will be a millionaire!:lol:

K
Kodiak
carl hungis said:

Its autofishers gig...but here is what I know....It's an all natural yarn, so when you break off on a snag it won't be there next fall like the plastic yarns out there. I don't have to use as much of it as other yarns. I can split the yarn strand in half and use a piece the length of my hook shaft and fold it under my egg loop and its about the perfect length. after a couple casts it starts to look and act like a marabou jig, it "breathes" like aquatic insects expanding and contracting in the water, the ends of the fibers start moving like shrimp legs or something...as your weight bounces the bottom the whole works contracts, then expands again when your weight lifts on your drift like something alive and crippled...its good stuff. I got to watch a 8lb coho hen charge and absolutely hammer some purple haze below the hatchery on EC this year. She probably came up river 10ft. and over 4ft. to hit this stuff.

A
autofisher
halibuthitman said:
you should make a tye died one in yellow and red and call it "what they are biting on" you will be a millionaire!:lol:

want to know what's funny? I've actually thought about doing the tye dye. I figured that if I keep it all one color for the base colors it'd help me get a good solid back stock. The custom colors....well there aren't many colors out there that I can't make. The tye dye would just mean a couple more steps in the process. I'll have to see if I can do that.