What would you do - Glasses or Rod?

S
Spydeyrch
Ok, so I have a little extra money :)dance:), which is pretty rare, that I am going to use for fishing. But I am having a tough time deciding if I want to get a new set of polarized glasses as my previous ones broke or if I want to save this money for a little longer and use it together with some other funds to get a new 7' 3wt rod. I currently have 9' 5wt rod so I am thinking about getting the glasses but I REALLY want to get that 3wt rod too.

So, what would you do - glasses or rod?:think:

Looking for some input to help sway me one way or the other as I am pretty indecisive right now. :confused:

Thanks!

-Spydey

S
Sinkline
Get the rod, buy a cheap pair of glasses for now!

Randy

G
GDBrown
To See or NOT to See

To See or NOT to See

Sinkline said:
Get the rod, buy a cheap pair of glasses for now!

Randy

Sorry, but I'm going the other way. Get a good pair of glasses that will protect your eyes and help you see the fish. :cool: If you go the rod route you will also need another reel or at least a spare spool and then there is the line, etc.

I find that the shorter 3/4wt rod that I have is great for fishing small streams or late summer evenings but really :rolleyes: there is nothing I fish with my 7ft 4wt that I couldn't do with the 5wt or 6wt that I have and both those are 9ft rods. With summer coming that means the winds will pick up on the coastal streams and that makes using a 3wt much more difficult.:(

Just my $0.02,

Gene

N
ninja2010
you already have a pretty versatile rod that'll do the job. you need polarized more than you need a rod - for safe wading and to see fish.

i'd get the glasses. my 2 pesos...

G
GDBrown
Jimmy,
Is it a slow day at the shop that you have time to surf?
If so lets go fishin'! :lol:

troutdude
troutdude
Spydeyrch said:
Ok, so I have a little extra money :)dance:), which is pretty rare, that I am going to use for fishing. But I am having a tough time deciding if I want to get a new set of polarized glasses as my previous ones broke or if I want to save this money for a little longer and use it together with some other funds to get a new 7' 3wt rod. I currently have 9' 5wt rod so I am thinking about getting the glasses but I REALLY want to get that 3wt rod too.

So, what would you do - glasses or rod?:think:

Looking for some input to help sway me one way or the other as I am pretty indecisive right now. :confused:

Thanks!

-Spydey

You know that a fellow OFFer needs to join our recovery and support group, when he's gonna spend his money--either way--on more fishing gear! LOL

I'm with Ninja. You already have a rod that will do the trick. Get the spectacles.

And don't listen the ZZ Top song about a "cheap pair of sunglasses"!

S
Sinkline
GDBrown said:
Sorry, but I'm going the other way. Get a good pair of glasses that will protect your eyes and help you see the fish. :cool: If you go the rod route you will also need another reel or at least a spare spool and then there is the line, etc.

I find that the shorter 3/4wt rod that I have is great for fishing small streams or late summer evenings but really :rolleyes: there is nothing I fish with my 7ft 4wt that I couldn't do with the 5wt or 6wt that I have and both those are 9ft rods. With summer coming that means the winds will pick up on the coastal streams and that makes using a 3wt much more difficult.:(

Just my $0.02,

Gene

Okay, you guys picking the glasses are probably right from a practical perspective. It's just hard for me to even consider a pair of glasses over the sleek & sexy lines of a shiney new fishing rod! Heck, I don't even wear polarized glasses anymore (long story). :lol:

Randy

G
Growbug
Now I am back on my feet and getting ready for the summer of fishing, I had to go through the same dilemma as yourself. Do I replace the $100 polarized glasses that i 'let the kids break' (leave them somewhere that a 4 year old can find them), or get a new 4 weight to replace the one that my 6 year old shut in the door of the car???

Answer is - Both for under $150.....

I went to Bi-Mart, and found wrap around shades that said that they were UV-A and polarized. $20. So far they have worked quite well.. not as good as the $100 pair, but i can see into the water etc where as i can't without them. So.. i got 3 pairs. One for each car and one for my tackle box.
Then i stumbled into the store formerly known as Sportsmans Warehouse and grabbed a 4/5wt for $60 on sale.

Shop around... look for the sales, etc

G
GDBrown
The best money I ever spent on fishing gear was my prescription Polarized glasses. Now that I've had Cataract surgery I can use the ones from Bi-Mart that have the magnifier inserts so I can see to tie on my flies.

brandon4455
brandon4455
get the rod. lol

S
skunk
Cheap sunglasses dudu du du dadudadu yeah, then the rod!

D
DB Crouper
:yay:Neither sunglasses nor rod. Get a tank of gas and a bunch of bananas so you can travel great distances in search of fish, without going hungry. Use your long rod and squint. The fish don't care.:yay:

S
Spydeyrch
brandon4455 said:
get the rod. lol

Hahahaha, I figured you would say something like that. :D

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
DB Crouper said:
:yay:Neither sunglasses nor rod. Get a tank of gas and a bunch of bananas so you can travel great distances in search of fish, without going hungry. Use your long rod and squint. The fish don't care.:yay:

Bananas ........ I assume you are making a reference to the other thread that asks about bananas & superstition. Hahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
Ok, now which do I get? Flies or Glasses?

Ok, now which do I get? Flies or Glasses?

Ok, so I have determined that if I have to choose between a new rod and new shades, I am going to go with the shades. But now I am indecisive on if I want the new shades or get some new flies. :think: AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :shock::mad: Too many choices!!! :confused:

I guess I just need to buckle down and get some good $30 shade and then use the remaining funds to get some flies. right?

-Spydey

N
ninja2010
Spydeyrch said:
I guess I just need to buckle down and get some good $30 shade and then use the remaining funds to get some flies. right?

-Spydey

yup. can't fish if you don't have flies...

G
Growbug
sreamflies... 50c each... not bad so far