What to wear under neoprene waders?

S
Spydeyrch
I have a few questions regarding the right type of gear to wear. I was hoping you guys might give me some tips/suggestions.

Just to give a quick background, I am not an outdoor n00b by any means. I alpine climb, rock climb, hike, camp, horseback ride, etc etc. So me asking this question is kind of embarrassing.

Anywho, I recently got a pair of neoprene chest waders and wading boots. I was wondering, what kind of clothing should I wear under the chest waders. I will be wading streams, rivers, lakes during this cold weather. I ask because I also go scuba diving, up in the Puget Sound, and I don't wear anything, except swimming trunks & a wetsuit shirt, when I put on my wetsuit, which is neoprene too.

So, for those of you who use neoprene waders, what kind of gear do you wear/use under your waders (between your skin and the waders). Thermals, socks, pants, etc etc????? I am just a little concerned that if I wear anything under the waders, that it will get wet. The rough/basic idea of neoprene is that it allows a thin, very thin, lining of water to lay between the neoprene and your skin, and with your body's heat, it warms the water, while the neoprene doesn't allow the heat to escape easily. So, there is still water under the neoprene, however small and insignificant.

I just don't want to be cold, if I can avoid it. I have spent many a night camping on a high alpine snow field and freezing my rear off to learn to be prepared. I like to try and avoid being cold if I can.

-Spydey

Last edited by a moderator:
brandon4455
brandon4455
wool works wonders in cold weather. wool work socks are thick and great for wading. and i lke to either nwear sweatpants or exercise type pants under them. always keeps me warm and toasty when it gets cold! thats my experience from the few times ive worn waders in cold weather. never wor them when it's hot

R
RunWithSasquatch
Fishing Neoprenes will keep you dry, so I suggest not free ballin'. Depending on how cold it is, use your jugment. A lot of times I like to wear some thermals, socks, and a pair of shorts over them, super cold, jeans with that. Remember, you're not timing your mile on a track while fishing, so over heating is not usually a problem.

S
Spydeyrch
Awesome!! Thanks guys for the input. I am a BIG wool guy. Thermalite and all the derivatives have never really cut it for me. Wool all the way for my socks, and sometimes even pants, depending on what out-door activity I am doing.

I will probably get some under-armor (sp?) or something similar, for a thermal layer, and then use some wool pants, wool socks, or maybe go with some fleece stuff. Thanks for your input. :)

-Spydey

troutdude
troutdude
I like neoprene long johns. They also stay warm, IF they get wet.

But, I've been in neo waders in Carmen Reservoir (think McKenzie River COLD) for hours, with no problems. Well...come to think of it...in water that cold...you should get out and "thaw" every couple of hours or so.

I actually came out of Carmen once, and almost fell over. Even though I felt warm, by legs were a little numb and hard to control. But, a few minutes in the warm all was all I needed.

I wear both neo johns and blue jeans, when it's really cold. Also warm (maybe wool) sox too.

brandon4455
brandon4455
very intresting fact. i found this out while fishoing for nooks and ho's at the salmon river when van duezer park used to be open. i slipped,fell water got in my waders but i kept fishing. thanks to wool. did i mention the snow on the ground and the temp was under 32 degrees!

S
Spydeyrch
Yup, that is why I use wool. I learned that years ago. Wool will retain up to 80% of its heat even when wet. Whereas cotton will suck the moisture out of the air. No cotton for me!!! hahahaha, but yes, that is why I use wool when in the outdoors. Even at night, I will slip on a pair of wool socks. It just makes me cozy warm and I sleep better.

I will have to check out those neo johns. Any idea where I might be able to pick up a pair?

Thanks again guys. You never fail when I have a questions. :)

-Spydey

M
Modest_Man
Avoid cotton (that includes jeans...) like the plague. There are all sorts of synthetic materials (along with wool) out these days that keep you nice and warm when damp. I wear a set of polypropylene long undwear and a pair of wool blend socks and a light pair of fleece or Adidas type warmup pants.

J
JAFO
Under Armour makes some good skin tight products, can be a little pricey though.

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops! I meant to say Polypropylene long johns...NOT neoprene! DOH! (Thanks Modest Man).

You can get 'em at most Military surplus shops, or probably at large sporting goods shops (or maybe even Bi mart).

C
colbypearson
my waders dont leak at all and in the winter while im bass fishing i throw on two pairs of pajamas haha it works awesome

S
skunk
I've been happy with warm socks, sweatpants, and a long sleeve shirt. Seems some pants slide in and out of neoprene different. The ones I use now don't bunch up around my knees when I get my neo's on.

M
Markcanby
A lot depends on how thick you wades are. Last pair I have I couldnt wear sweet pants without sweating my you know what off.

L
Lamzy
I have not been fly fishing long enough to have worn my chest highs long enough to have any set garb.
I have the type with the sock type feet so I purchased at a thrift store a pair of size 16 tennys that I wear.
I wear wool socks and a light wool kilt inside the waders.
So far it gets to be almost to warm sometimes even in the surf.
KiltedBob

J
Jig'n
I really like my Polar Fleece Wader Liner pants. They always keep me warm, and they have foot straps to keep them from riding up your legs when you pull your waders on.

C
Cland74
All I wear in my waders is either boxers or shorts. I don't wear pants or wool socks or anything, only in the winter do I do that. Especcially on those streams you're going to be doing a lot of walking around and hiking, if you have on wool socks and cold gear you're gonna be roasting. Granted it might get a little cold on your skin after a while, but nothing a 5 minute break can't fix. I've worn jeans too, but they aren't as forgiving when hiking around.

T
twout
How the heck did you find a post over 6 years old

Casting Call
Casting Call
Anything that will wick moisture. Back in the climbing days it was wool. Alpine climbers use military seven button wool sweaters or pants. It not only wicks but keeps in the body heat, ask any sheep. I have found that super lightweight hi-end dress pants made of 100% wool works very well. $6.00 pair from Goodwill is a bargain. Tony