What to use

S

Stealiedan

So we are going to fish the wilson this week and was wondering if any of you great wonderful people would have any tip or suggestions to use for fishing there. Looking to fish for steelies and trout. I am rig for bottom drift fishing with corky and yarn and have a few spinners and rooster tail. Have 4lb line on my trout pole and 8lb line on the other. Will that serfice or do I need to go bigger. Thanks ahead of time for your help

A

autofisher

That should do you just fine depending on the water clarity. If it's super low and clear, you might even jump down to 6lb for your leader on the steelhead pole. And then I would use the small presentations depending on the size of the water you're fishing.

G

ghostcow

I gave it a shot yesterday. I was Fly fishing for trout though and it really is low and clear. I hooked a bunch of small trout, 2 10-inchers and a huge 12-inch trout, lol. Oh well, it was still fun. I fished several miles above the burned out restaurant hole, or what ever it is called. I did see one steelhead slide past me heading up stream, he ignored my dry fly once and then spooked with second cast. Funny, he swam up to a deep hole and next thing I know here comes a parade of small fry rapidly leaving that hole and heading downstream. Sorry, I couldn't be much help but I wish you luck, let us know how you do.

S

Stealiedan

So I was reading about bobber and jig fishing that its good on clear slower moving water. Do you think that will work

G

Green_Tackle

When I fish the Wilson for steelies I have 2 poles in my car: One rigged for spinner fishing and one for float fishing with jigs. This enables me to fish just about every hole I like to fish. The deep, slower pools are fished with jig and float and the faster, shallower pools and tailouts are fished with spinners.

G

GDBrown

When I fish the Wilson for steelies I have 2 poles in my car: One rigged for spinner fishing and one for float fishing with jigs. This enables me to fish just about every hole I like to fish. The deep, slower pools are fished with jig and float and the faster, shallower pools and tailouts are fished with spinners.

Now just add a fly rod and you'll really be able to have fun!

I like Ghostcow fished there last week with my fly rod (4wt) for trout and did quite well, I saw several steelhead but did not target them. All the other fishermen I talked to were using bobber and jigs.

GD