What to do when the River is high

D
davep
Not going to be much river fishing the rest of the week....I will be spending my free time tying up some new jigs , some bait rigs for steelies and salmon and my favorite....bending up some spinners...Those of you that can't afford the store bought ones ($2.50 to 3.50) ..you can bend your own for around a buck...two or three guys can go in together and keep the initial cost down....anyway...any other ideas for high river days?

K
Kodiak
Higher water

Higher water

Fish closer to the bank, slower seams. Don't stop fishing they will be on the move!!!!! Plenty of time to twist after you limit.

F
FishFinger
davep said:
Not going to be much river fishing the rest of the week....I will be spending my free time tying up some new jigs , some bait rigs for steelies and salmon and my favorite....bending up some spinners...Those of you that can't afford the store bought ones ($2.50 to 3.50) ..you can bend your own for around a buck...two or three guys can go in together and keep the initial cost down....anyway...any other ideas for high river days?

Many of us malcontents have taken up the art of twistin'. Your in good company here. Would sure enjoy seeing a picture or two of your handy work.

J
JeannaJigs
I still fish when the river's high if it's a day I can get away from work. A lot of people don't, but I see it as an oppurtunity wasted. You can tie and twist when you get home :)

M
Mike123
It sounds weird but in some spots I prefer a high and rising river.
As long as the water color is still greeeeen!

My best days have been on high water days when most people are at home.

F
FishSchooler
Go lake fishing! :D

M
mgdguy
I did get a day off today and fished the Clackmas from bank at a few different spots from the mouth up to Carver. The water was on the high and fast side, but the color wasn't too bad. A LOT of debris though :shock:

The only bite was at the Witchita pub :lol:

D
davep
via fishfingers request

via fishfingers request

Well, at least for me, the water wasn't what I like to fish...Its a good thing I am better at fishing than lure making...but I did tie and bend up about 20 offerings....Like I said , Im not good..but it is fun

B
Bfishin
davep said:
I really want to start bending my own spinners. What's a good source to learn how to make em? A certain website you might recommend? Thanks:)

F
FishSchooler
davep said:
Well, at least for me, the water wasn't what I like to fish...Its a good thing I am better at fishing than lure making...but I did tie and bend up about 20 offerings....Like I said , Im not good..but it is fun

You should take out the barrel swivel, and put it in your line for the leader.

D
davep
where to start

where to start

Go to the home made tackle section of this forum...read through the spinner thread....pleanty of info...there is really nothing to it...

P
PDXKush
Keep Fishing. The Fish are still in there. Just got to find em.

D
davep
barrel swivel

barrel swivel

Well, I have done both...there are two schools of thought...go to Jack tackle and barrel swivels are the deal...hard to argue with their experience and skill.....bill at bc says tag line...I like em direct...the way I fish a spinner , when the tail drops a bit (with a swivel) ..I seem to get a little better shore swing when I let out line a the first sign of current drag.....

M
metalmania
Why make em when you can get the best spinners from TCO:D.

Reactions: FishFinger
O
osmosis
You only need a swivel on a spinner if you build it wrong.

K
Kodiak
Metalmania you are too kind..thankyou!:redface:

Osmosis is 2348% correct! Something isn't right, either your blades aren't right for the current you are fishing, more often than not you don't have proper clearance between your blade and body, wrong size clevis, etc.

D
davep
swivels

swivels

Im sure you guys are right in the purist sense...guess Im just a slacker...and not an expert bender...dave

K
Kodiak
davep said:
Im sure you guys are right in the purist sense...guess Im just a slacker...and not an expert bender...dave

Not poking just trying tohelp you catch more fish!

C
Chedster
They are not fancy but they are cheap and quick to make. I will have to try them in the next few weeks if I can get out. Just throw a piece of shrimp on there and it should catch fish.

Reactions: FishFinger
F
FishFinger
Dave, your OFF to a good start. I too share the enjoyment of twisting up potential fish slaying utensils. In my own odyssey I have fabed quite a few spinners that looked great yet totally failed to preform in the basic sense and some even refused to spin at all. We all start at the same place and improve with each we produce.

I am thankful to have had a great cast of characters here on the forum, willing to critique my efforts along the way. Truth be told I held casting spinners in total disdain and only carried them as a weapon of last resort. Granted they were mainly Blue foxes and only 1 in 10 are quazi balanced (hence my lack of success and my doubting stance).

The biggest boon to my "enlightenment" came via Osmosis and Arctic. I listened as intently as I could ( limited as I may be) trying to absorb the info that helped establishing a benchmark for spinner assembly and function. I can credit many members here who's insights have helped me personally improve the fish-ability of hand fabed spinners.

Before I go long on the tooth here, the most important thing I want to express is..... One; thanks for sharing your wares. Second; would be within the exchange of info surrounding gear we make and post, the "pointers" given by other members can go a long way towards the evolution of things we might fabricate. Something quite special seems to exist here with OFF. Our members are truly warm hearted and their intent is genuine. Spinner fab is much more of a science than I initially expected.

Folks like Osmosis and Kodiak, being professionals in the industry; understand the benchmark criteria and are totally willing to share the does and don'ts simply for the love of the sport. You, I and anyone else interested have a golden opportunity to get started on the "right" path. Once the fundamentals are established; pushing the innovation envelope can become a errrr...... addiction.