What to buy?

T
Thuggin4Life
So I just recently came into some money(couldn't have anything to do with me having a birthday) and need to get something for the boat(well it needs a lot but just one for now) and can't make up my mind whether to get a different prop(going from a 9" pitch to a 8" pitch) or to call this guy and see if he still has these 2 like new cannon minitroll downriggers with the wieghts and clips for $100. So I ask if it was you what would you do?

B
beaverfan
I'd go with the downriggers! I love downriggers, I love being able to fight the fish with no added weight. No joke my dad uses them to jig for Kokanee, he clips his jig on one and lowers it down. He watches the cannonball drop on his depth finder until its in the middle of fish, he jerks the rod to release it from the weight and reels the downrigger in. I think thats kinda a waste of time but it seems to work for him.

B
bd2cool
Second vote for downriggers.

F
fishcreekspinners
B.O.A.T = Bring out another thousand...

B.O.A.T = Bring out another thousand...

B.O.A.T = Bring out another thousand... If the Down Riggers are gone.

Electric Motor
Marine Battery
Battery Charger
Spare Anchor
Hummingbird Fish Finder
Tool box
Manual Anchor Winch
Launch hook
Bumpers
Trailer Jack
Folding seats

T
TTFishon
Downriggers.

X
xltom
I grabbed an automatic bilge pump from w-mart yesterday for about $26..I know you've got a battery with just a sonar running on it.....just a thought......As far as the other stuff, my vote is for the prop. I know how important speed is to you cause you upgraded your motor and still probly haven't sold the old one....you will have an extra prop handy if you ever bang a rock with the new one....or (like me) forget to trim it up before pulling your boat out....

J
JeannaJigs
replace your bilge pump and get some downriggers!!! And replace those rivets, and then, you might not need the bilge pump :)

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah getting the downriggers tonight. I smell smoked lakers and big landlockers in my future. Getting a pair of cannon mini troll's with the 4lb wieghts and clips like new for $100 (75 apiece new w/o wieghts and clips) and a prop is around $50 so its next on the list. A bildge is also something I need to get I know where I need to put it and Have the battery to do it. maybe I'll start getting the bildge and the stuff I need to hard wire some running lights and do it all at once. Tom wish I could trow down on the repair work but can't. If you need a hand hit me up and I can help out with the labor. Speed is important to me so next its an 8" pitch prop to help me out when I have a larger load on the boat.

D
dude young
H-e-double hockey stix yeah, on the down riggers. Once you graduated to sonar, I knew it was a matter of time until you got riggers. There are so many advantages they give you.

Beav, we used to do the same thing back east in this little trout pond that held record browns.

Not only do you fight with no added weight, but, you do not have thousands of yards of line out to achieve the desired depth. And then, it is a crap shoot. With the rigger, you set a depth wher the fish are.

Also, the ability to 'dredge' bottom for lazy mid-day lakers is great when the bite turns off. Watch the sonar and keep your ball 5-8 feet off the bottom. You will see the ball on the screen, so you can move it up and down to follow the bottom contours.

I have a Cannon Mini on my boat. Don't trust the depth counter. Trust your sonar screen. Also, I recommend getting the braided downriggger rope to replace the wire. Cuts the water better and has less drag. Really helps with the light 4 lb. weight, keeping it straighter down that is.

Oh, and, let me know if you want some help manning the cranks some time. I have p-lenty of practice. (Haven't lost a cannon ball yet :dance:)

T
Thuggin4Life
Wwoooohhpoooo

Wwoooohhpoooo

For sure! Thanks for the info everyone just got them. Going to have to make little wedges to counter the taper in the sides of my boat. Going to try to get some of the bigger fish out of lookout I see on the screen in the bottom 20' of the lake. Going to go out in the garage and play with my new toys. Maybe this year I will get some lakers instead of skunks.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
For sure! Thanks for the info everyone just got them. Going to have to make little wedges to counter the taper in the sides of my boat. Going to try to get some of the bigger fish out of lookout I see on the screen in the bottom 20' of the lake. Going to go out in the garage and play with my new toys. Maybe this year I will get some lakers instead of skunks.

You realize now I'm going to hit you up to bum a seat to Odell sometime for kokanee right.

T
Thuggin4Life
For sure. I'll post a pick when I get done playing with my new toys.

T
Thuggin4Life
So here they are deffinantly takes 2 hands to let em down. won't clip on at all need to cut some blocks any ideas are welcomed. Also does it matter if the rod holder is above or below the holders? I think I need to cut some triangles out of a 2X4 to help out with the tapered sides. I can already tell the counters aren't going to be acurate.

J
JeannaJigs
You want your downrigger in front of your rod holder

T
Thuggin4Life
Like towards the front of the boat right so my line goes down behind the cable to the clip? And how do I go about putting a second clip on the actuall cable to fish 2 rods on one rigger? the clips they came with go off the back of the weights.

T
Thuggin4Life
so I went back out and looked going to put them about a foot towards the bow from the rod holders. these things are going to be a bit tricky to mount.

D
dude young
Put your rod holder as close to the d.r. as possible. Just forward of the rigger. I used a 1X2 block about 3" long on mine, but I also had the plastic spacer that came with the rigger, so you might want to use a 2X.

As far as clips go...

1- Do not try to play the "stacker" game for like 20 years. You only wind up with a massive tangle if your lines don't run true. But, I can show you my rig (that I never use) if you'd like.

2- Get yourself some new releases. The ones I use are made by Off Shore Tackle Co. and are actually made for planner boards. They are the yellow "light" releases. You have to rig them up for use on the down rigger ball (i can post a pic of mine), and they are adjustable. The nice thing about them is that they are light enough that even the shortest striking fish will trip them. All the others I have tried are too heavy and seem to be made for higher trolling speeds.

T
Thuggin4Life
Check out these brackets I made for my downriggers. Now all I need to do is get some bolts in the morning, drill the holes in the boat and I'll be good to go.

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Hey bro if you ever bring your boat down south let me know. Lake of the woods has a 25 limit of kokes a day plus you can get browns at night since the lake is fishable 24 hours a day. Except right now i think its froze over. Also Diamond lake is short distance from there.

T
Thuggin4Life
Man I would love to fish diamond but its an expensive drive and then its really expensive to camp. I prefer free ramps or cheap launches and park passes and free camping or next to nothing camping diamond is outrageous maybe they are trying to pay for all the work they did by the high rates. still someday might go get some monster rainbows but i think klamath has monster rainbows but never been and not sure on the camping sitiuation. how much does it cost to camp at lake of the woods. could always use a guide for a day. you would have to sit in the middle though and share a downrigger however that works.