what they need at hagg

B

beaverfan

I would think that when they do the expansion would be the perfect time to put in a campground or two.

C

chris61182

What I'd really like to see is for them to not close it over the winter.

troutdude

troutdude

What they really need is trout that will consistently hit! I've been there twice and caught some. But, it was nothing like the hype that I've heard about a "great fishery" for many years. Maybe those days are gone?

G

GDBrown

What they really need is trout that will consistently hit! I've been there twice and caught some. But, it was nothing like the hype that I've heard about a "great fishery" for many years. Maybe those days are gone?

No there not over, just over-rated. I get fish almost every time I go there, but you have to be fishing for the right kind of fish at the right time of year.

I too would like to see it open year around but the powers that be can't justify the services that are required when so few people would take advantage of it. As for the campgrounds.... That would require even more services and would also increase the cost of admission I'm afraid.

GD

troutdude

troutdude

I can't agree more, definitely way over rated. I'm NOT saying that I haven't gotten fish both trips out. I did. But, it just wasn't nearly as good I had heard that it would be. And I know how to troll for trout (varying gear/tackle, varied speeds, varied depths, etc).

I doubt that I'll go there again. It's an hour and a half one way for me. There are several nicer fishing reservoirs/lakes a lot closer to me. Plus, I don't have to pay to park at any of them. Hagg is a NICE place. But, paying to park is ridiculous.

I don't see why is isn't open year round. Most other lakes around here are year round.

P.S. It's a real shame that you guys up north, don't have better nearby lakes to choose from.

Last edited:
W

wormosa

i do not mind paying to park as long as the fees are used to make the park a better place and it is safe and a person does not have to worry about their cars being broken into

troutdude

troutdude

Are there cops/patrols there? I've not seen any...although there were game wardens on the lake and at ramp C, during the opener.

W

wormosa

Are there cops/patrols there? I've not seen any...although there were game wardens on the lake and at ramp C, during the opener.
almost everytime i go there there are 2 sheriff and two exlorer scouts or whatever they are there....the deputy helpers do safety inspections ... at times i wish i had not seen them so much but overall it is a good thing

G

GDBrown

The lake is run by a different Authority (Bureau of Reclamation) than the cascade lakes and reservoirs (NFS) which is why it is a pay to play park. There are always sheriffs deputies at the lake during the summer and they patrol it every day. They just pulled the sheriffs boat out of the water last week for the end of the season. There is also a park ranger who checks for parking permits and he is still there every day. and will be until the season is closed for the year.

C

chris61182

I too would like to see it open year around but the powers that be can't justify the services that are required when so few people would take advantage of it.

What resources? Changing the regulations to allow year-round angling would require no action on Washington County Parks part. No bathrooms or gates need to be unlocked, no trash collected, the lawn would need to be mowed all the same regardless of year-round angling.

The only problem then becomes fee collection. But if they aren't providing any services at that time of the year, what are they collecting fees for?

C

chris61182

Not sure where you got the notion it was some sort of "great fishery," worth traveling to at least with regards to the trout fishing, now bass may be a different story. But yeah the trout are all stockers, and come mid-summer the stocking is done and the fishing is just your average run of the mill lake. For trout I'd take Green Peter any day over Hagg, especially as fall approaches!

G

GDBrown

What resources? Changing the regulations to allow year-round angling would require no action on Washington County Parks part. No bathrooms or gates need to be unlocked, no trash collected, the lawn would need to be mowed all the same regardless of year-round angling.

The only problem then becomes fee collection. But if they aren't providing any services at that time of the year, what are they collecting fees for?

You misunderstand, if the park is Open then they are required to have open restrooms and trash collection and someone who goes out each day and unlocks the gates to the ramps then goes back and locks them for the night. The fee collection is a vending machine now so that wouldn't change. I've had a conversation with one of the rangers about this and it is in the long term plan but keeps getting push back because of the economy. The sheriffs don't want it because they would have to be out there more often and that eats into their budget.

Sorry,
GD

C

chris61182

You misunderstand, if the park is Open then they are required to have open restrooms and trash collection and someone who goes out each day and unlocks the gates to the ramps then goes back and locks them for the night. The fee collection is a vending machine now so that wouldn't change. I've had a conversation with one of the rangers about this and it is in the long term plan but keeps getting push back because of the economy. The sheriffs don't want it because they would have to be out there more often and that eats into their budget.

Sorry,
GD

Absolutely none of that is needed. For nearly every other lake in this state they close up the bathrooms and what not at the end of the busy season but they don't give you the boot and tell you no more fishing until we feel like letting you back in.

Yet Washington Count Parks department insists that Hagg is the oddball exception, because some how the lake doesn't work if they don't pay people to do unnecessary tasks during the off season.

B

bernduffy

Maybe not a great fishery, but the stocker action can be very good. As far as trophy size...stop by the Lake Stop Store and look at the wall: it's covered with pics of big catches. It's not easy, but when is it ever? Also, for a relatively short drive (less than an hour from Portland) the gas and time saved is nice.

F

FishSchooler

I think it would be too heavily fished when there are campgrounds.. it is already very heavily fished without. If 150 people fish it a day and get their limits... thats 750 fish a day.

C

cookshot

P.S. It's a real shame that you guys up north, don't have better nearby lakes to choose from.

AGREED!

Hagg is tough, I know people that catch fish every time, but they know exactly where to go, what to use, what time of day/year etc. We used to have a couple holes in college that were OK, but since they drain that thing so low every year the spots would totally change from year to year as far as productivity. I think it would be nice if they would leave it open for the winter with no fee. I'm not sure about the whole fee thing anyway, I guess I haven't seen the improvements to show for what they charge.

troutdude

troutdude

Not sure where you got the notion it was some sort of "great fishery," worth traveling to at least with regards to the trout fishing, now bass may be a different story. But yeah the trout are all stockers, and come mid-summer the stocking is done and the fishing is just your average run of the mill lake. For trout I'd take Green Peter any day over Hagg, especially as fall approaches!

There are HUGE trout in Hagg. ODFW stocked it last fall w/ some BIG brooders...up to 18 pounds. Plus, during this season's opener, I saw one fish about 6 pounds and another about 10.

I agree. GP is a MUCH better trout fishery overall. And it's only 45 minutes for me, instead of an hour and a half to Hagg.

C

chris61182

There are HUGE trout in Hagg. ODFW stocked it last fall w/ some BIG brooders...up to 18 pounds. Plus, during this season's opener, I saw one fish about 6 pounds and another about 10.

They stock brooders lots of places, you should check out EE Wilson for the opener, they normally dump a hundred+ HUGE brooders in there that week.