what the hell did rooster tail do?!?!

K
kastmaster
hey everybody, im brand new here, and i gotta say, i love the place so far, here is my ultimate dilemma

so i decided to go up to the siletz for a nice drive from my hometown of dallas, but first i swung by the bi mart to grab my favorite lure of all time, a brown rooster tail, i picked 3 of them up, different sizes. i then hurried up to a hole below a bridge i have liked for a long time, tied up my 1/6th oz size, casted it in... nothing i tried jerking my rod reeling super fast, reeling slow, while flicking my rod tip, casting upstream, casting downstream and the damn thing would not spin, did the company change their design? can i retutrn it??? anyways i was so frustrated i stuffed it in my tackle box and pulled out a size one brass mepps, and caught both my trout within an hour :)

Bass Man
Bass Man
kastmaster said:
hey everybody, im brand new here, and i gotta say, i love the place so far, here is my ultimate dilemma

so i decided to go up to the siletz for a nice drive from my hometown of dallas, but first i swung by the bi mart to grab my favorite lure of all time, a brown rooster tail, i picked 3 of them up, different sizes. i then hurried up to a hole below a bridge i have liked for a long time, tied up my 1/6th oz size, casted it in... nothing i tried jerking my rod reeling super fast, reeling slow, while flicking my rod tip, casting upstream, casting downstream and the damn thing would not spin, did the company change their design? can i retutrn it??? anyways i was so frustrated i stuffed it in my tackle box and pulled out a size one brass mepps, and caught both my trout within an hour :)

Did you try the other 2 brown rooster tails? I haven't noticed any issues with my newer rooster tails but my older ones sometimes have problems spinning. Can you see any issues with the blade?

T
TTFishon
kastmaster said:

I haven't bought a roostertail in a couple of years because of this problem. The other day I tried one on the Mckenzie and to my surprise it worked great. Then I tried the same one,which happens to be brown also, in still water and I couldn't get it to spin at all.

T
Troutier Bassier
The larger ones dont spin as Easily as the smaller ones do.

Troutski
Troutski
Tune them right out of the package...

Tune them right out of the package...

I must admit I tune my tails right out of the package, one of my go to lures is the Brown Salmon Fly Rooster Tail in the 1/4 oz size and smaller. If you have never tuned one pm me and I can give a tutorial on how I do it...very effective lure on the McKenzie river and the Willy also.

Chuck

G
GrillMaster
Out of the box

Out of the box

I use them out of the box with no problems, where did you purchase them...every company has seconds that they send to discount stores for a quick reduction in inventory. Not using any names but their are some devious retailers out there.

GM

T
TTFishon
GrillMaster said:
I use them out of the box with no problems, where did you purchase them...every company has seconds that they send to discount stores for a quick reduction in inventory. Not using any names but their are some devious retailers out there.

GM

I would have to say I bought mine at BI-Mart or GI Joes.

H
hendrixfan
I had a similar problem with a Rooster Tail I have had for a while, and modified it with a french blade. It does seem to be hit and miss with rooster tails.

K
kastmaster
well i bought it at bi mart, i just got back from fishing and for the hell of it i tied the other 2 sizes on, and they both work just fine... that 1/6th ounce must just have been defective, the blade and shaft of the lure look identical to all the other lures i have in my arsenal in that size, oh well i guess...

Bass Man
Bass Man
kastmaster said:
well i bought it at bi mart, i just got back from fishing and for the hell of it i tied the other 2 sizes on, and they both work just fine... that 1/6th ounce must just have been defective, the blade and shaft of the lure look identical to all the other lures i have in my arsenal in that size, oh well i guess...

Kastmaster,

Glad to hear you tried the other two sizes and they are working properly, did you catch anything?

K
kastmaster
i just tested them out in our bass pond, so i wasn't expecting a whole lot, but they spun great even in dead calm water, im thinking on maybe driving to big creek res. tomorrow, ill just have to give them a try then

T
TTFishon
Good luck. Let us know the results.

Bass Man
Bass Man
huh?

huh?

kastmaster said:
i just tested them out in our bass pond,

I'm sorry...did you just say you have a bass pond?

S
SmallStreams
I've had one or two over the years that are cranky about spinning. Tinkering with the blade (hey, the lure is nearly worthless if the blade doesn't spin, so no harm in trying things), I came to the conclusion that it is too flat and gets sucked onto the body.

My solution that mostly works is to put a slight kink in the blade, about 1/3 of the way from the body (or about where it rubs the body on the 1/4 and 1/6 oz size). Take your pick on whether it should go closer or away from the body.