What size line??

R
Redfox458
Getting gear set up for steelie fishing. I usually drift/bobber fish. I use a Berkley AIR IM7 9'6" with a Shimano Sahara 4000 FB spinning reel. Says line capacity is 160 yards of 12 pound. So, I'm curious as to what the OFFers here would recommend? Should I go ahead and pack 160 yards of 12 on there, or get some 20 pound with a smaller diameter??

That, and if somebody wants to go somewhere local and help show me how to actually catch fish...I'm down! (hey, worth a shot!)

Redfox458

B
beaverfan
I usually use 8lb Maxima UG, sometimes when conditions require I bump it up to 10lb. You should be fine with 12, but it might be a little big for summer fishing if that's what your planning on doing. 20lb unless your plunking is a bit overkill in my opinion.

A
Anyfishisfine
For bobber fishing I have braid (Berkley Fireline) for the main line, which I think is somewhere around 20lb, and the leader I've been using for winters is 10lb Maxima UG. I'll switch to 6lb leader for summers.

I really like the braid for floating (because it floats), but not so much for drifting.

R
Redfox458
Thanks beaverfan, I just wanted to make sure I had a little extra line strength...I'm new to the whole steelhead fishing thing, just got my fingers crossed!

B
beaverfan
I think you'll find that 12lb Maxima UG is pretty dang tough line! Like I said I use 8 lb and when you get a snag it can be tough to break the line! I'd say go with the 12lb with and 8 or 10lb leader. Then when the water is low and clear this summer I'd drop it down to at least 10lb mainline and 6 or 8lb leader.

A
Anyfishisfine
Yeah, with the 10lb when you get a snag it takes quite a pull to break the line, way more than I have my drag set.

R
Redfox458
Ok, very cool. I'll stick with my 12lb line, and use my normal 8lb leader. Now if only I could stop catching rocks, and start catching fish....

H
halibuthitman
Redfox458 said:
Ok, very cool. I'll stick with my 12lb line, and use my normal 8lb leader. Now if only I could stop catching rocks, and start catching fish....
if your catching rocks.... then you will soon be catching fish... its when your not catching ANYTHING that your probably doin something wrong.

R
Redfox458
halibuthitman said:
if your catching rocks.... then you will soon be catching fish... its when your not catching ANYTHING that your probably doin something wrong.

Well its good to know that I'm doing SOMETHING right when it comes to fishing!!

D
dtikey
If you are bobber fishing I personally would stick with a small diameter braid like AnyFishIsFine stated because yes it floats and you can mend or feed line and see it to control it.Control your geer is a big must in my opinion because if your not in the zone your not going to get nearly the amount of fish.I would also get a spare spool for my reel and run a 10 or lighter maxima ultragreen on it for all other styles of fishing.

G
Green_Tackle
For floating I also use a braided line--a bright yellow one. I use 6, 8, or 10lb leaders--usually 8. I use Bioline biodegradable fishing line when the water has some color and Maxima UG when it's running clear. I've got it on a 9' Lamiglass rod and Shimano Symetre 2500 reel. Works pretty well for me. Easy to see the line and keep a natural float.

B
BobberDown
this is a grate topicwith a lot of grate difrent ways to put together your ideal set up.
for a drift set up i like 12 pound sufix siege for the main line than p-line halo 10 pound for leader it's a floro carbon so i can run a little heaver leader when it is clear and if there is a lot of color i run 12 but 10 or 8 pound ug is the best way to go for mono leaders
but on a spinning rod that you mite want to flop from dirft fish to float fishing witch i do with all my spinning rods a lot.
i run 14 pound berkly hi vise yellow fire line for my main line. than if i want to run a slideing float i just set it up normal braid to the float wieght than a leader off the other end.
now for drift fishing or a lite fixed float set up i take 10 feet of 12 pound eather ultra grean or halo and eater unie knote it or blood knote it witch ever line to line knote you like that peace of line to the bread now you have a bumper that gives you a little strech gets that hi vise line out of there site and if you get snaged you will never brake your braid and it cast a lot smother and a lot farther as well. than you can tie on your drift rig and start to fish and the drift with that set up feels so good aspeshaly if you put your finger on your line but be carfull because if you hook a fish you better get your finger off the line fast or it will cut you bad.
if you want a fixed float than slide your fixed float on to the mono than tie on a jig than about 16 inches up a single split shot at the rite weight to balance your float properly and there you go set your float where you need it. for a fixed float i think ravans or turbo masters are hard to beat personaly. i have herd the tuff line dura cast looks like another good mane line optoin to. they both cast super smoth i personaly like the fire line my self
the sufix will cast a lot better on a spinning reel than the ultra grain i can tell you that for sure i have used bother that way for years but both are tuff and have grate knote stranth the sufix has less menory so it cast smother and does not want to kick off the spool.
so there are a lot of grate whays thats just what i do and it has worked grate for me good luck and it never hurts to trie several diffrent things tell you find what you like best

M
metalfisher76
Redfox458 said:
Getting gear set up for steelie fishing. I usually drift/bobber fish. I use a Berkley AIR IM7 9'6" with a Shimano Sahara 4000 FB spinning reel. Says line capacity is 160 yards of 12 pound. So, I'm curious as to what the OFFers here would recommend? Should I go ahead and pack 160 yards of 12 on there, or get some 20 pound with a smaller diameter??

That, and if somebody wants to go somewhere local and help show me how to actually catch fish...I'm down! (hey, worth a shot!)

Redfox458

beaverfan, AFIF,and HHM all nailed it!! I go 8 main 6 leader for drifting summers.

P
plumb2fish
dtikey said:
If you are bobber fishing I personally would stick with a small diameter braid like AnyFishIsFine stated because yes it floats and you can mend or feed line and see it to control it.Control your geer is a big must in my opinion because if your not in the zone your not going to get nearly the amount of fish.I would also get a spare spool for my reel and run a 10 or lighter maxima ultragreen on it for all other styles of fishing.

Don't listen to this guy can't you see it says "new" member below his name. hahaha

P
plumb2fish
But seriously dtikey is on the money that guy could pull a steelie out of a mud puddle

D
dtikey
Well thank you plumb2fish.Not really my style of fishing but as I said earlier in this thread at least 2 spools if not 2 rods.Much easier with 2 to 3 rods.And always remember you get what you pay for most of the time when it comes to gear for fishing and the outdoors in genral.

Y
youngbuck307
metalfisher76 said:
beaverfan, AFIF,and HHM all nailed it!! I go 8 main 6 leader for drifting summers.

thats me!!! when going after big late run nate winters i try to run my 12 lb with 10 leader....

Y
youngbuck307
plumb2fish said:
But seriously dtikey is on the money that guy could pull a steelie out of a mud puddle

ooo and your a member now not a new member lol Just giving you crap.