What size hook do I need for 4" plastic worms?

A
AlexCrowson
I bought some 4" plastic worms today. with my 6/"ers I use Gamakatsu 3/0s. Should I use a different size for the 4" worms?

F
flippinbaits
yes use a smaller hook. i would at least move down to a 2/0, but in my optinion a gammy 1/0 EWG is just fine for 4inch worms. If you use a 3/0 hook, u will lose out on a lot of action from the worm

A
AlexCrowson
great thank you

1bigfish
Yes you will need some smaller hooks. However what size and style of hook you use will depend on how you are fishing them.

If you are going to set up the worm to be weedless on day a texas, carolina, or even weightless rig then I would use an 1/0 EWG hook. If the bait is going to be rigged wacky on these same rigs you could even step down to a size 1 EWG.

Now if you are going to use it on a dropshoot you might consider changing the stlye of hook to a dropshot hook. Personally I like the Owner down shot hooks in a size 1/0 for 4 inch senkos.

But flippinbaits is correct that the size of the hook will have a large effect on the action of the bait.

A
AlexCrowson
1bigfish said:
Yes you will need some smaller hooks. However what size and style of hook you use will depend on how you are fishing them.

If you are going to set up the worm to be weedless on day a texas, carolina, or even weightless rig then I would use an 1/0 EWG hook. If the bait is going to be rigged wacky on these same rigs you could even step down to a size 1 EWG.

Now if you are going to use it on a dropshoot you might consider changing the stlye of hook to a dropshot hook. Personally I like the Owner down shot hooks in a size 1/0 for 4 inch senkos.

But flippinbaits is correct that the size of the hook will have a large effect on the action of the bait.

I guess I need to catch up on some of my angler lingo. I've only been fishing for a few months hahaha. But yes, I will get some smaller hooks. thanks very much.