What should I use to fish at Dabney?

C
CrawfishPDX
I was there a few days ago in the even and I saw fish jumping left and right. I went down and walked across a small pool of water onto a island and was fishing on the other side of the island where the water flows. I was using some weight and a worm :p anyone have any advice

C
CrawfishPDX
anyone?

H
halibuthitman
if you are fishing steelhead, you could research steehead techniques and gear under the steelhead forum, or the sandy river section- Good luck

S
Scowboy
While it may sound odd, if you want to steelhead/salmon fish it will save you a ton of money to hire a guide. Not only will they teach you the ropes, get you into fish, but preserve your image on the river. I of course didn't and spent MANY days on the rivers donating a lot of tackle to the rocks.

C
CrawfishPDX
are guides expensive

E
eggs
usually 75-100 for 1/2 day 150-175 for a full day.. but explain you are there to learn more then take fish home and you will walk away with tons of knowledge... Jack or Brandon Glass are good Sandy guides as is Ed Fast.

T
Troutier Bassier
Drift fish eggs on that Island below the rapids.

S
Scowboy
It seems expensive but it is worth it. While I always hate hearing the "time on water" response, a guide will greatly reduce the amount of time needed and probably save you more money than they cost. Eggs, hooks, swivels, lead, bobbers etc add up. By the time you catch a fish you will have spent about the same as if you hit up a guide. Besides, it's all about reading the water and knowing what that spot produces on. For example, for the colors of corkies, jigs, and spinners how many do you have that are black?