What should I do with these suckers?

What should I do with these suckers?

• Total voters
Irishrover
Irishrover
" Impounding large rivers in the Pacific Northwest has changed cool, swift waters to deep, warmer, and slower waters that favor certain native species, such as the northern pike minnow. These native invaders are fish-eaters and consume young salmon as they migrate to the sea. They have become such a nuisance that a bounty program was implemented to encourage anglers to remove as many as possible." Straight from the NOAA web site.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2014/07/7_21_14invasive_species_and_salmon.html

When it comes to salmon or other anadromous fish stock NOAA is involved up to their eye brows. They may not sponsor the program but when it comes down to it NOAA and BPA are both federal government agencies. NOAA's fingers are involved.

The report that was partially quoted states "Highly variable index values for the predators considered in our study provide no obvious indication of an area-specific compensatory response to the targeted removal of northern pikeminnow. Yet, given the dynamic nature of these systems both biotic and abiotic, we encourage continued monitoring efforts to assess trends in predator populations throughout the Columbia and Snake rivers to help elucidate potential local and net (system-wide) effects. "

The top two recommendations of the report are "

1. Maintain use of standardized season dates (May 1st-Sept 30th) for implementation of the 2015 NPSRF in order to enhance promotional opportunities, build angler familiarity, and ultimately to optimize removal of predatory northern pikeminnow from the NPMP program area.

2. Continue to investigate, develop, and implement angler incentives designed to increase effort and harvest by further incentivizing current anglers, and by recruiting new, and preferably experienced anglers to the 2015 NPSRF.

I took the time to read the report posted on that link. Seems to me that the report indicated that there is a problem with northern pikeminnow . NOAA agrees and indicated that by referring to the northern pikeminnow as native invaders.

"Model-predicted reduction in predation on juvenile salmonids by northern pikeminnow relative to pre-program levels for 2014 was 32% (range: 16–49%; Figure 3). Model projections based on the current fishery and population structure suggest predation on juvenile salmon by northern pikeminnow may remain relatively consistent through 2018." From the report. I don't see this program being anything but good for the salmon on the endangered species list. No one is saying kill all the pikeminnows, it's a slot reduction. And the good thing is if you don't want to remove a pikeminnow if you catch one you are free to release it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamisonace
N
nicholas
Irishrover said:
It's the professional fish biologist at NOAA (NMSF), WDFG, ODF&W, and others that recommended the program. They are the judge and jury. They are not trying to eliminate the pikeminnow, just reduce their numbers in the main stream of the Columbia. There is an over abundance of pikeminnow, they are not an endangered species. However they are doing a lot of damage to endangered species of salmon as they migrate down to the ocean. No one is forcing anyone to kill an abundant native species folks are just asking those who want to, to help protect an endangered stock of salmon. It's an individual choice and I'll go with the fish guys at NOAA.

Even if there are to many pikeminnow in the Columbia, I thought that this thread was about the Sandy? The problem is that people take the program out of context, and even though the reward program clearly states that only certain portions of the Columbia and Snake rivers are the targets, pikeminnow are commonly killed and tossed in pretty much any body of water that has them. Now at the very least, the reward program doesn't appear to be doing much harm in the places it was intended to be used, but in non-target areas, there is pretty much no evidence that there is an over abundance of pikeminnow.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I don't see anything about the Sandy in the OPs post. Heck he didn't even bring in the pikeminnow. This thread was about what to do with sucker fish. You know I have no idea how this thread has gotten off track, but it's not unusual for us to go far afield. For the record I do not believe the pikeminnow is a problem on the Sandy and like you I would not toss one onto the bank just for the heck of it.

Aervax
Aervax
I bonk all deer and elk and goat babies. They make great fertilizer for great big champion pumpkins and such. Less meat on the hoof also helps keep coyote and cat populations down. Suckers on the other hand, I wet my mitts before handling and gently revive them in the current. It is exalting to see them swim happily away under their own power. Love those dam suckers!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I just love good sarcasm.

Exalting...lol. I think that might be first for that word on this forum.

Aervax said:
I bonk all deer and elk and goat babies. They make great fertilizer for great big champion pumpkins and such. Less meat on the hoof also helps keep coyote and cat populations down. Suckers on the other hand, I wet my mitts before handling and gently revive them in the current. It is exalting to see them swim happily away under their own power. Love those dam suckers!