What should I do with these suckers?

What should I do with these suckers?

• Total voters
H
homerhomer
Hey all,

I went out last week and caught bunch of sucker fish. I usually put them back in the river but I noticed that some throw them on the bank. Does anyone have some reasoning on what to do with these fish?

White Sucker100.jpg

Reactions: Irishrover
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
They make great fertilizer...just sayin'. ;)

T
troutmasta
Suckerfish are native species that are critical to our local ecosystem.

Dont kill it unless you are going to eat it or you are 100% sure its destructive to our fisheries.

People killing native species because of misinformation makes me angry :mad-new:

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
People killing native species because of misinformation makes me angry

Amen, Brother.

We've had this discussion many times. I wonder how the "desirable fish" like salmon and trout survived for eons without the brave fishing warriors taking out suckers, peamouth, and pikeminnows?

Oh, that's right -- because salmon and trout eat the young of those species.

So, I guess if you're in favor of lower returns, and smaller fish, then by all means, kill them.

And in a mindboggling twist, it's often the people who insist on releasing bass and carp (INVASIVE SPECIES that are detrimental to the native fish).

hobster
hobster
troutmasta said:
Suckerfish are native species that are critical to our local ecosystem.

Dont kill it unless you are going to eat it or you are 100% sure its destructive to our fisheries.

People killing native species because of misinformation makes me angry :mad-new:

x2 Always throw then back!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
To set the record straight, I only use them for fertilizer if they can't be revived. Otherwise, I always toss 'em back.

T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:
Amen, Brother.

And in a mindboggling twist, it's often the people who insist on releasing bass and carp (INVASIVE SPECIES that are detrimental to the native fish).

Lol if that boggles your mind. I'm sure people who trample on redds and people that need a glory shot with a half dead native fish are more detrimental then carp and bass.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
Throbbit _Shane said:
people who trample on redds and people that need a glory shot with a half dead native fish

Those guys are amateurs. The really special ones throw on an ounce of lead and a piece of yarn and "drift" it through the tailout with frequent "hooksets"... in late March.

Love those guys

EOBOY
EOBOY
I used to throw them on the bank, but I have since read up on the history of our native fish. The Indians eat all the fish in our rivers,even the lamp Ray. Amazing what a little knowledge can do to change a mind.

EOBOY
EOBOY
think smelt and dip nets and no limit!

1 nut in the water
Smoke 'em up and give them to the neighbors and in-laws!

EOBOY
EOBOY
LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jamisonace
jamisonace
DrTheopolis said:
Oh, that's right -- because salmon and trout eat the young of those species.QUOTE]

Are there other reasons why they are crucial to the success of our salmon runs or can we bonk the adults?

N
nicholas
jamisonace said:
DrTheopolis said:
Oh, that's right -- because salmon and trout eat the young of those species.QUOTE]

Are there other reasons why they are crucial to the success of our salmon runs or can we bonk the adults?

How about you need adults for there to be more babies?

N
nicholas
Not to mention, why bother bonking them? What good does it do?

S
Steel4life
Technically they are a non game fish, so you can do what you want with them. But what's the point in killing something that you aren't going to use in any way shape or form?

P
pinstriper
Steel4life said:
Technically they are a non game fish, so you can do what you want with them. But what's the point in killing something that you aren't going to use in any way shape or form?

Exactly. I don't like killing something I'm not going to eat. Except skunks. And coyotes, I guess.

I think people especially dislike suckers because they nibble the bait out from under our bobbers.

EOBOY
EOBOY
What do you have against coyotes they keep the cat population in check

P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
What do you have against coyotes they keep the cat population in check

Deer and elk babies, for one. My goats, for another.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I was just busting your chops