What rod type do you prefer?

troutdude
troutdude
I'd like to hear what types of rods fellow OFF'ers like to use.

I prefer fiberglass rods, hands down, for all of the different species that I chase (trout, steelies, nooks, kokes, bass, crappie, and cats). I can cast farther, feel the fight better (due to flexibility/action), and have never broken a glass rod.

My favorite brand is Fenwick. I also have a 5' UL hollow Lamiglas that I dearly love. And I have a matching pair of 7' medium action D.A.M. Quick glass rods. I haven't used 'em just yet (got 'em recently on eBay). But, I'm looking forward to it! I also like Shakespeare Wonder Rods.

I'd also like to get my hands on some Fenwick Matrix and Boron rods someday. The Matrix series, is a composite of Glass & Graphite.

So, let us know what type(s) you prefer to use, why you like 'em, and your favorite brand(s) too. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts.

Thank you.

P.S. I have found most of my rods at yard / garage sales and/or on eBay or Craig's list. There are some really GOOD deals out there, as long as you know what you like and what to look for.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
i like cheap rods and have a few uglys other than that i have no idea.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My most favorite-est rod is the one with fish on the hook! I have some vague memories of the rush of feeling happy-happy joy-joy...but they are fading fast. I am a junk yard junky myself. I love finding treasures in the thrift stores and yard sales as well as pawn shops.

A
autofisher
Ok, laugh all you want. My favorite rod right now..... is the F&S IM7 I got from Dick's on sale a few months ago. It's a decent rod for the money. And I know it can handle a bigger fish, but it's still sensitive to handle the smaller ones. It's got a great range for line caps, and lure weights. It might be cheap, it might not be the best..... but it sure as heck has done the job so far this year.

H
halibuthitman
Hardy perfected the graphite impregnated glass rod years ago... the hardy stream glass, and the Hardy Glass test 8' 5 wt are the finest dry fly casting rods in the world.... the world. The boron Rods are clunky and have a strange feel.

N
nwkiller
im a super rough fisherman, dont care to get dirty, fall down a lot tromping through the bush, lose stuff, break stuff....so i stick with ugly sticks...they fish good and can be man handled

C
cookshot
Ugli Stick. Cheap, indestructible. Guess I'm a bit of a cheap-o too. The reel that it comes with isn't the greatest though, but it works. I have only used the UL 4'8. I kinda wish they would make a little shorter one for some really tight stream fishing and stuff.

H
halibuthitman
the okuma sst series are awsome rods for the money.

L
Left Bank
After loosing poles (bottom of Diamond lake or accidently left it somewhere) I tend to stick with the cheap-o's. But I do look for deals at garage sales, etc.

N
nwkiller
Not to get OFF topic but, LB how did you lose your rod at diamond...big fish?

M
Mike123
I like my Buzz Ramsey rods... they are tough as nails. I abuse the S outta my gear.
I have an Okuma Ceilo 9'6 4-10lb for my float rod and it's landed 100's of steelhead and a couple really big steelhead with ease. Also can use 6lb test and never break it since the rod is so flexible.
Don't think I'll ever buy a Loomis.
Though I'm getting a few TFO rods when I get the money. Half the price of a GLOOMIS. Turns out not only Gary Loomis is joining them. A main designer of Lamiglas has also joined TFO.

I have two Ceilo $50 trout rods too.. not too expensive, but it's nice to have a 7ft and a 7'6 4-10 for trolling.

What I need now is some new reels! My reels have been beaten to death. I've spent over $100 before for Shimano spinning reels and they last just a few months longer... not worth the money IMO.. I have a Shimano Sahara and it's been good to me. Bought a cheap Pfluegar Trion spinning reel, since the baitcaster model has worked AWESOME for me... but the spinning reel version is CRAPOLA! At like $27 what do ya expect though. My Okuma reels have been good too. Both my Abu's are blown up and need fixing and new drag washers. I HATE the stock abu drag washers... the line comes out in spurts when the fish is running.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for chiming in everyone...keep the posts coming.

I also forgot to mention, in my original post my feelings about "cheap" vs. expensive rods. My feelings are this: I can catch just as many fish with a used garage sale special $5 Eagle Claw rod, as I could if I spent $1,000.

So you will never catch me spending hundreds on G. Loomis either. BUT, TFO rods are starting to sound good.

M
Mike123
troutdude said:
Thanks for chiming in everyone...keep the posts coming.

I also forgot to mention, in my original post my feelings about "cheap" vs. expensive rods. My feelings are this: I can catch just as many fish with a used garage sale special $5 Eagle Claw rod, as I could if I spent $1,000.

So you will never catch me spending hundreds on G. Loomis either. BUT, TFO rods are starting to sound good.

$130... you can't go wrong. Go to Stutzman's stove in Lebanon. Try one out.

troutdude
troutdude
Great suggestion, if they have spinning or casting / trolling rods.

Maybe I forgot to mention, that piece of the puzzle. I'd LOVE to fly fish. But, I've got a bad arm and the near-constant casting w/ fly rod kills me. (Not that I'm afraid of Vicadin, I just prefer not to take it). lol

M
Mike123
troutdude said:

Maybe I forgot to mention, that piece of the puzzle. I'd LOVE to fly fish. But, I've got a bad arm and the near-constant casting w/ fly rod kills me. (Not that I'm afraid of Vicadin, I just prefer not to take it). lol

LOL... I'm on the heavy dose Vicodins and Muscle relaxers.. just makes fishing that much more relaxing! hahaha.

G
GDBrown
troutdude said:

Do what OnTheFly and I did yesterday. Slow troll with a sinking line and a green wooly bugger. Most productive and fun day of fishing I have had since I left Montana 35 years ago.

GD

PS I'm lucky now I can get by on 8-10 Advil a day! Doc wants me to quit my job and go on disability.

troutdude
troutdude
I do use Woolly Buggers in a similar fashion, with spinning gear from my float tube. It is a VERY effective method!

D
Drew9870
How good is the brand Boron, I own a 7 1/2 foot Boron C Fly rod and have never found the same rod on the internet, it is really light considering the tip could almost touch the reel ;).

W.W. Grigg has some badass rods if you like light action, idk if they still sell rods, check on craigslist.

Field and Streams IM7 Steelhead rods are awesome, they come in many light action models like the noodle, freedrifter, and light action which is a 9 foot noodle with a slow taper (very thin close to reel seat).

troutdude
troutdude
I've not heard of a manufacturer named Boron. What I referred, to were Fenwick rod's made from a material called Boron. So, IDK. Sorry.

Yes. WW Griggs still sells. And I sure do wish, that they would FOLLOW THE RULES on Craig's List!

B
bigdog
I like my Buz IM8 and my WW Griggs both are great rods and have worked good for me.

CJ