What rod to start with?

Jeff_Ver

Guys, need your help. I'm thinking of improving my skills with crankbait bass fishing. Need to know your thoughts on what rod to buy. I saw a Kevin VanDan video where he's using his tour series rod (fiberglass and graphite blend) He describes all the pros and cons. So, I thought about buying a new one for me. Are here any of Fenwick Elite Bass Casting, Okuma Scott Martin Tournament Concept rod owners. Actually I saw all of them on one review site. Just need a professional opinion which one from above is better

bass

Most Featured
I think that you could put 10 rods in front of 10 anglers and get 10 different opinions on which rod was best. In the end it comes down to how it feels to you in your hand and how it balances with whatever reel you select. I really like buying rods in person. How the diameter of the grip feels is function of hand size and preference on how full you want it feel in your hand.

With that said, in general for crankbaits I prefer a glass rod. My favorite is an ancient Browning David Fritts cranking rod. It has a pretty parabolic action. I do own 2 Cabela's graphite casting rods that I like pretty well (I use them mostly as general rods). The glass rods are heavier which is a minus, but the soft action of a well made glass cranking rod is really nice when fishing deep cranks.

If you live within driving distance of a Cabelas (Springfield, Tualatin or in WA) I would recommend going and looking at their rod selection in person. Since they were acquired by Bass Pro Shops they carry a lot more bass tackle (at least in Tualatin). When I bought my last rod they let me put a couple of reels on it to find the one I felt balanced best with it.

Best of luck! I am sure no matter what you end up with it will be a good rod. Even really cheap rods are pretty well made these days. My only other advice is to get a low ratio reel. You don't want a high speed reel for cranking. You want as low of a gear ratio as you can find.

Jeff_Ver

I think that you could put 10 rods in front of 10 anglers and get 10 different opinions on which rod was best. In the end it comes down to how it feels to you in your hand and how it balances with whatever reel you select. I really like buying rods in person. How the diameter of the grip feels is function of hand size and preference on how full you want it feel in your hand.

With that said, in general for crankbaits I prefer a glass rod. My favorite is an ancient Browning David Fritts cranking rod. It has a pretty parabolic action. I do own 2 Cabela's graphite casting rods that I like pretty well (I use them mostly as general rods). The glass rods are heavier which is a minus, but the soft action of a well made glass cranking rod is really nice when fishing deep cranks.

If you live within driving distance of a Cabelas (Springfield, Tualatin or in WA) I would recommend going and looking at their rod selection in person. Since they were acquired by Bass Pro Shops they carry a lot more bass tackle (at least in Tualatin). When I bought my last rod they let me put a couple of reels on it to find the one I felt balanced best with it.

Best of luck! I am sure no matter what you end up with it will be a good rod. Even really cheap rods are pretty well made these days. My only other advice is to get a low ratio reel. You don't want a high speed reel for cranking. You want as low of a gear ratio as you can find.
I get it. One guy offered me one of his G Loomis to try it with, not sure which one, unfortunately. He's got a couple of 843's and a 845. probably will call him. Look through these, please outdoorsly.org/best-crankbait-rods/. They all offer almost the same 5 rods, but what would you choose if you had to?

bass

Most Featured
I doubt I would pick any of those.

I would look for a 7' medium to medium-heavy made from glass. I like rods that are in the 8-17lb test range for around here and around the 1/4 to 3/4oz lure range. If you want to crank in 25-30' then you will need something heavier but an 8-17 rod will be good for depths to 15'. I do prefere the lighter tackle for fishing the Willamette and Hagg.

I would look online at tackle warehouse, bass pro shops, Cabela's, etc. Look closely at the grip and decide what you think would be comfortable to narrow the field. I have big hands and like a big full grip. I hate grips like this:

But many folks love them. I have never touched one but Tatula rods are supposed to be nice. I like the description of a parabolic action and this grip is better for me than the rod above.

These are not glass but it says they try to get a good crankbait action:

This one looks particularly interesting to me:
Shimano Curado Cranking Rod 7'2" Medium

In summary, I have not seen or used any of the above rods but they are some of the rods I would consider (after a brief seach) based on handles shape, action, lure weight. It is easy to get analysis paralysis when looking at stuff like that. In the end almost every modern rod is extremely well made and I am sure you will be happy with whatever you select.

Best of luck!

fromthelogo

I agree with Bass about what to look for on a rod for fishing for SMB around here, 7’ M or MH glass rod. I mainly fish mainly finesse presentations, but I do have an older Quantum KVD rod with a 5:1 reel that I use for cranking that I like. I feel the rods in the article were mainly targeted to LMB fishing in the South.

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom