What pole for trolling

C
Charlie_merrifi
Title says it I want to get a rod/reel. Not a super expensive one but for salmon and such.

T
Thuggin4Life
I went super cheap with a short stury berkley big game from walmart. i think it was less than 30 maybe even just 20. it has caught plenty of coho and was a bit big so i bought a 6'6" for coho and use the 7 for nooks. they had a 7'6" but it had a lighter tip. A good cheap rod. but by know means the best. Someday I will upgrade to a 8-9' stiff nook rod. I might be totally wrong in my thinking of how i like my rods but cheap is cheap and what works works. Best trout trolling rods are 7' medium action baitcasting rods with small levelwinds on them.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah I want something for trout, and good sized salmon

T
Thuggin4Life
Well you want two different rods then.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Lol something kind off in between it wil more be for trout and landlocks what would be the problem using one for salmon for trout

T
Thuggin4Life
hey do you live in springfield? if you do i can show you.

B
beaverfan
Charlie_merrifi said:
Lol something kind off in between it wil more be for trout and landlocks what would be the problem using one for salmon for trout

Trout are small and Salmon get HUGE. A rod that can handle Salmon isn't going to be much fun when you hook an 8 inch trout. You'd barely even know it was there.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Ok what size line for trolling trout and what size pole and line for salmon

C
Charlie_merrifi
Mostly kokanee. And 5 + pound trout

B
beaverfan
For trolling for Kokanee and Trout (we all want 5lb trout but let's face it most trout in the 12-14 inch range) I would go with a 6ft light rod rated for 4-8lb or 6-12lb line or so. Throw some 6 or 8lb Maxima line on it and your good to go! For trolling for Salmon I'd go with a 7ft-7ft6inch heavy or medium heavy rod with a line rating of 20-40lbs or so. Throw some 30lb Maxima on that one and use 20lb leader. If your not to far away from Canby I would HIGHLY recommend checking out W.W. Grigg's, he has a store at his warehouse 3 rods for 100 I believe. Great rods at a great price! He has everything from UL trout rods to Halibut/Sturgeon setups! Lots of fly rods too!

C
Charlie_merrifi
Thanks as for the 5 pound trout I fish a lake in california several times a year and there are consitantly 5+ pounders taken there

B
beaverfan
Cool, the trout rod I recommended should be able to handle them!

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah I have a couple that size. Thinking I may pickup a salmon rod for an overall trolling rod. That way I can alway have a trolling pole and still fishing pole setup

C
Charlie_merrifi
Eagle lske ca by the way

C
Charlie_merrifi
Something for say a 10 pound fish