What other languages do you speak?

S

Spydeyrch

Kind of curious to see if we have any OFFers that speak a second language, or more. for example, if your primary language is French and you speak English, then there ya go! Two languages. :D

Oh, and yes, pig latin counts!!!! hahahaha :clap::dance:

I guess I will start:

I speak English and Spanish fluently.

-Spydey

P.S. I am currently taking lessons in both fish and fly. hehehehe I am no where even close to being fluent or proficient for that matter. I try. :D

Last edited:
brandon4455

brandon4455

i use to know quite a bit of german but i forgot :lol:

L

lilsalmon

I still remember English on a good day and speak a teeny tiny bit of Turkish........very small amount. I can count in German, Spanish, French and Italian....doesn't do me any good though.....

E

eggs

i can speak english sometimes.. and some(barely any) korean..

my wife.... has korean, english, french, and chinese down fluent and some japanese.

Last edited:
C

Cuervo2138

I am fluent in english and spanish.

N

ninja2010

english (most of the time), strine (aka australian), hokkien (dialect of chinese), cantonese and malay. but i'm really rusty on my local tongues since i've been away for 23 years and have not spoken any of the languages at all. i can still read malay, though.

and i'd like to think that i also speak fluent japanese, french, portuguese, hindi and dutch... but no one understands my heavy malaysian accent. ;)

T

troutramp

english some border spanish, a few phrases in Apache and navajo.

N

n8r1

Back in the 1990's I met a German guy in Munich who told me a long-running joke: if you speak three languages, you are trilingual. If you speak two languages, you're bilingual. If you speak one language, you are an American. :D

As far as I go, hablo un poco espanol.

H

Hawk

Back in the 1990's I met a German guy in Munich who told me a long-running joke: if you speak three languages, you are trilingual. If you speak two languages, you're bilingual. If you speak one language, you are an American. :D

As far as I go, hablo un poco espanol.

We had some FUn times at the 'Hof Brau Haus' in Munich...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Salut...

S

Spydeyrch

Wow, to be honest, I wasn't expecting as many responses as there have been until now. I am also surprised at the well diversified number of languages that people speak here on the forum. That is wonderful!

That joke about the single language speaker being american is very funny and yet almost true to a sense. I have multiple friends from the US that don't speak a lick of another language and they can barely speak English proficiently for that matter.

EDIT: I am not saying it is bad to not speak a second language or that one who doesn't speak a second language is of less value than one who does. I am just noting a connection/relation between the different cultures and how languages are a priority in some and in others they are not. I do not mean to offend anyone by stating the previous few lines. :D

Yet all my friends from other countries, even those who have lived here for several years or one or two generations, speak at least a second language if not more.

I would love to continue to see people pop in and comment about their languages, where they learned them, if they speak more than one, etc.

Just curious is all.

-Spydey

P.S. Thanks again everyone for your input thus far. Keep it coming! :D

Last edited:
F

fishtales

I think i can say shoes in Spanish. Zapatos! I would not mind learning more Spanish or a new language like Traditional Chinese, Russian, Ukrainian or Vietnamese.

N

n8r1

We had some FUn times at the 'Hof Brau Haus' in Munich...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Salut...

Yeah, I met that German guy at Oktoberfest...THE Oktoberfest. Fun times, at least those that I can remember.

S

Spydeyrch

I think i can say shoes in Spanish. Zapatos! I would not mind learning more Spanish or a new language like Traditional Chinese, Russian, Ukrainian or Vietnamese.

Yuo are right, that does mean shoes in spanish.

On a funny side note, zapatos is also the name of a pokemon. Don't ask! I have a 5 year old son who is huge into pokemon righ tnow. he non-stop talks about it, in his sleep, while he is eating, 24/7!

So I always found it funny that zapatos is a pokemon.

Also, for those of you that want a little spanish humor:

The verb "cazar" (pronounced ca-SAR) is to hunt. The noun "esposas" means handcuffs. But, the verb "casarse" (pronounced ca-SAR-say) means to get married and the noun "esposa" means wife. Hmmmmmmmm, so does that mean that to hunt is to get married as to be handcuffed is to have a wife.

I always found that funny!!!!

Top Bottom