what knot do i use with braided line

F
fitterdent
i just bought braided line and i have read knot strength is a problem, but i can't find what knots to use. does anyone know what knot i need to use?

F
FishSchooler
I wouldnt tie the braid directly to the lure or hook, tie it to a barrel swivel with a palomar knot, then a mono leader.

F
fitterdent
thanks, actually i just found some info and they said the polomar, so your were right on. yeah, i'm going to a swivel with floro leader. thanks for a quick response. hopefully i will like the braided line. i can't believe how thin the line is, thats awesome.:clap:

O
osmosis
cinch knot works juust fine. You can cover probably 80% of your fishing needs with either the cinch knot or the improved cinch.

If you use the improved cinch knot GO THE RIGHT WAY with the "improved" loop and you wont have problems.

With braid make sure your knots stack and align perfectly or you will be sorry.

Last edited:
C
chris61182
Palomar is by far and away the most recommended knot for braid, it's kind of a shame I don't know it.

For me it's a clinch knot with a double overhand knot of the tag end tied to the main line to prevent the clinch knot from slipping out.

B
bigdog
I was shocked but the palomar knot is simple now I just hope it is as effective as it is simple

A
ArcticAmoeba
If you are using leader, your leader is going to give before your knot, so I have always used a clinch or the improved version, done the proper way, of course. The other way through seems to screw up how it tightens onto itself. But I too find that perfectly stacked "donuts" with braid works just fine...I switch between the palomar, and the improved clinch when tied directly to terminal, and have seen no issues with either, excepth that the palomar, when cniched tightly can cut itself, seemingly easier than with the clinch...Just an observation I had Steelheadin this Summer with FireWire in 15lb. Never lost a fish to it, but came damn close twice, like so close, it made me wonder how tough these little fibres are! I had two steelhead, that got wiley, and made bookoo runs, side-planed into the current, acrobatic whips giving and quickly taking back the slack...Crazy fish, hard fighter, but not giant by any means. The knots were both starting to fray, the second time it happened the situation was so bad, like 5 or six stringy fibres holding on! I switched back to mono, and have re-kindled my romanc with UltraGreen for a mainline, and it works fine for now. I don't like drift fishing with braid, too big of a hassle, but it is nice because it floats so well. Trade offs, if I had a spinning setup for drift fishing, I would run good braid I think...

F
FishSchooler
The palomar is one of the strongest. :D
chris-double the line up so you have a loop, then thread the whole loop through the eye, then tie a overhand knot. Then you should have a loop as your tag, take that loop and slide it around and over the swivel, hook or lure. Then pull on the standing line (Not tag), get the loop to tighten down, oh yeah, dont forget to wet the knot, cause if you dont with a palomar knot, it can actually weaken it by like 50%... bad experiences=learning... :lol:

F
Fishtopher
So uhh, every box of braid i have ever bought has instructions somewhere on the box on how tie knots the way the manufacturer recommends.
But I always use the palomer knot every time I can, as you can't use it on all applications. If you dont know your knots, you should learn them. All.
Check Grogs Animated Knots.

Irishrover
Irishrover
knot site

knot site

Here is a helpfull little site for just about any knot you would ever want to tie including the palomar. Animated Knots by Grog I think it has everthing except the bow knot for tieing your shoes;) Irishrover

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Ya that.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sorry Fishtopher, guess I didn't read the last line in your post. At least we were thinking along the same line. ;) Irishrover

H
Hawk
well.......................i was Proud to serve in the US Navy......................we used some knots.............................full & half hitch, sheepshank, squareknot, clovehitch, granny, bosun'sknot......................

but i was an engineman........................

in fishin' i mostly use the clinchknot......................................:lol::lol::lol:.............................:cool:

Troutski
Troutski
Hummmmm

Hummmmm

Hawk said:
well.......................i was Proud to serve in the US Navy......................we used some knots.............................full & half hitch, sheepshank, squareknot, clovehitch, granny, bosun'sknot......................

but i was an engineman........................

in fishin' i mostly use the clinchknot......................................:lol::lol::lol:.............................:cool:

So what is a scupper ? And for that matter what is a bosun anyway ? Being a Army vet, I was all ways curious about some of those nautical terms from you old squids..;)

Chuck

H
Hawk
Troutski said:
So what is a scupper ? And for that matter what is a bosun anyway ? Being a Army vet, I was all ways curious about some of those nautical terms from you old squids..;)

Chuck

Welll Bro............................. scupper iz gutter fer water to runoff.........................................:lol:

a bosuns mate works above decks in the light mosly..............:D......................using lines & guns, mops, etc..............................:D

an engineman iz a snipe......................a stealth critter.....................................:lol::lol:

i spent some time assigned to the Army along the Mekong River..................................1965-1967.................

Troutski
Troutski
Hawk said:
Welll Bro............................. scupper iz gutter fer water to runoff.........................................:lol:

a bosuns mate works above decks in the light mosly..............:D......................using lines & guns, mops, etc..............................:D

an engineman iz a snipe......................a stealth critter.....................................:lol::lol:

i spent some time assigned to the Army along the Mekong River..................................1965-1967.................

What a small world, I also spent a very exciting summer along the Mekong river in 1968..with a few trips into a neighboring country, if you get my drift.
The Army, see the world, meet exciting people...very eventful time in the life of an 18 year old. Cheers to you brother :clap:.

Chuck

H
Hawk
Salute to You My Brother.......................................