what kind of waders??!!

W
waco
im thinking of getting my self a pair of waders but dont know about brands, price and quality. what do you guys have? i dont want something fancy but dont want something that is going to fall apart in the first week!!! any advice would be really helpful!!

F
fishtales
I wear hodgman. I actually have an extra pair bran new in the original box. Bought them at JOES for $30.00 size tens. They have been tried on once but have never been used. I'd sell them for twenty if interested. To be more specific they are Hodgeman caster rubber hip waders.

I have another pair that I wear about a half dozen times a year. I bought both before Joes went out of business and they are still holding up.

G
Growbug
about 18 months ago i got myself a pair of neoprene waders. Now i look like balloon man wearing them. Finally got a tiny teeny likkle hole in the right knee.
Yesterday i went out and got myself a pair of Pro-Line (4802) stocking foot and a pair of Hodgman Lakestream wading boots (carbide studded felt).

Advice from a 'newbie'... whatever you choose, make sure that you can walk a little distance when you are trying them on. I went to Wholesale Sports and tried of a few sizes/styles. EACH make fitted differently. The Proline were the BEST fit, followed by Caddis, then Frog-Toggs (that is fit on ME)
I am 6ft 6, 235lb, 38" waist and 44 chest with a 36-38 inseam, so finding GOOD fitting waders is difficult.
I ended up with a Large/Tall size. The tag said foot size 9-10 and i am a 12-13. The stockings stretch to fit.
What I did to make sure that these were OK for me is put them on, put the boots that i had selected on, and then went for a walk twice around the store. The guy who was helping me understood what i was doing. As you walk around the store, stop, bend down, pick things up, kneel, etc.. etc.. etc.. and MAKE SURE THEY FIT!

Total out of the door for the Proline / Hodgman set, $160 and i believe money WELL spent!

W
waco
i just cameback from wholesale sports and there are a lot of them to chose!!! i cameback empty handed i didn't know what to get and not enough time!!

B
BobbiDollPDX
I love my frogg toggs. It's very hard to find outdoorsy type clothing that will fit a woman and I am very happy with how these fit and breathe.

E
eggs
Rob you should have gone with the frogg toggs if they fit a female well they would fit you like a glove if you catch my drift ;)

I too will be in the market for boot and waders.. couple months

C
capblack
i have hodgeman breathable guide pants and hodgeman rubber soled wading shoes. if you fish in the summer, breathable is the only way to go, and i would only suggest the rubber soles if your in a boat most of the time, if you do a lot of wading go with felt sole. make sure whatever you get, its big enough to put some layers under, but small enough that its comfortable with only thin clothes under it. mine were about $175 at sportsmans. Brian

T
tnffishman
I run frogg toggs and love em too. Its also nice that they are the cheapest breathables i hav seen on the market. My original pair just got trashed and was leaking a lot of water. So if the new pair lasts me more than a year ill be happy

E
eggs
I will have to checkem out

T
todd_brooks
I went though this same dilemma a while back. Had a gift card for Dicks and went with the field and stream breakables I mean breath-ables. Had some gummby Hodgmens before that. Would only do that for a cold winter again. The Field and Streams lasted only three months. Got my money back and went with Simms not much more than the frogs and came with a lifetime guarantee. So far so good will have to see how that guarantee goes but the guy at fishermen's said they where great to work with.

F
Fishtopher
Im happy with my Frogg Togg(sp?) breathables from Fishermans. Gott'em in the tent sale 13 months ago. $69 on sale, regular 99. Also have a pair of Hodgman neoprene. Two actually. One pair with the built in rubber boots, and one pair without. Breathables are a must in the summer. Neo's are a must in the winter. I repeat, neo's are a must in the winter!! Well, for me anyways...I dont have that much "insulation"...

I would buy any of em again, and they were all the cheapest I could find at the time of purchase.

The only brand of waders I've heard anything negative about are the Remington neoprenes.

B
bigsteel
i have the orvis clearwater waders,,,,,139 bucks and very durable,,i love them

J
jeffcycles
I wore through my Hodgemans boots in less than a season, and their waders didn't last too long either. Now I have Simms waders and the same old pair of shredded Hodgemans boots. I won't buy anything from Hodgemans again. If you go to Sportsmans Marine you'll be able to get Simms waders and boots for around $200-$250 and you'll get a lot more durability.

T
troutramp
I have had the same simms wader for about 3 years now and all I have had to do is patch a pin hole here and there. keep in mind I have probably close to 250 days on that pair. And as far as service goes they are the best company I have delt with as far as a warranty goes. I used to sell a lot of thier waders and my customers would bring me back the waders that needed repairs I would ship them out and recieve them back repaired and in almost new condition many times for no charge, and if the did charge it was reasonable. I had many customer still fishing waders that were 5 plus years old with many days on the water. They have a lifetime warranty and they stick to it. In addition to all of this thier gore tex waders are made in Bozeman Montana, and thats where they do thier repairs as well. They are probably one of the last great american companies that offer excellent products and back it up.

G
Green_Tackle
I have a pair of Simms Headwaters Sockingfoot waders and they're pretty great. Very light and breathable. I can layer underneath in the winter and have had no problems wading in icy waters on snowy days. Pretty pricey but Simms is a fantastic company (and very friendly too). I got mine at a great deal, but, now that I've had 'em I would spend the money. No patches yet, but, there is a worn spot from falling down a rocky cliff that might wear through soon. The extra stitching and extra layers on the lower legs come in handy for me as I'm not very delicate when I'm out. I'm always bushwhacking and kneeling on rocks tying rigs. Plus I know that if something does go wrong with them, as was mentioned, Simms will take care of me.

I use them with a pair of Rivershed boots with Streamtread soles. I just replaced my felt soles this year so I don't yet know how they'll stack up against felt in the winter, but so far so good.

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong with Simms.

W
waco
wow too many options!!!

G
ghostcow
Have the Simms G3 model I think, just like the others said USA made, Bozeman is a cool town, and waders have been trouble free this year, downside is the price. Also bought a pair of their boots and tough but not as comfortable as I would like but the boots have worked as advertised. I haven't tried any of the other brands so nothing to compart these items too. Best of luck.

F
fishtales
Leaning one way or the other on waders yet or still deciding?

A
Anyfishisfine
Another vote for the Simms G3. After wearing neoprene for a year, they are the most amazing thing ever, and are actually made in the USA. Even on hot days I don't feel like I'm wearing anything. I am curious what it will be like come winter though.