What kind of fishing poles do you guys recommend.

F
Fred
I want to buy several fishing poles and I thought I could get some recommendations from some of you more experienced fishermen. I want to buy a pole for steelhead and salmon. I'm going to make my old salmon and steelhead pole my jetty fishing pole. My trout rods are getting old and pieces are starting to break off XD. Guess that means I need to buy a new one. Also, I'm looking for a new fly fishing pole and a general bass fishing rod. I'm going to buy some reels too so reel recommendations would be helpful too.

bass
bass
I don't want to make a specific recommendation but I think the most important thing is how the rod handle feels in your hand. Some are skinny, some are fat, some have cutouts and look like something from a space age lab. Pick them all up and feel them. Another important factor is balance. Is the rod and reel tip heavy, butt heavy, or just right. A combo that is tip heavy is tiring to fish with.

Hopefully you are near some well-stocked stores and that you can try them out. When I bought my last combo (from Cabela's) the guy let me put the reel on the rod to check the balance. I rejected a few rods before the angels sang. That is the feeling that you want to have.

Bake
Bake
With in the last 3 years, I've had to have both shoulders rebuilt. I would recommend a light weight, and 2 handed rods.

F
Fred
Bake said:
With in the last 3 years, I've had to have both shoulders rebuilt. I would recommend a light weight, and 2 handed rods.
My friend had surgery on his shoulder and now he only trolls in his boat.

Reactions: Bake
F
Fred
bass said:
I don't want to make a specific recommendation but I think the most important thing is how the rod handle feels in your hand. Some are skinny, some are fat, some have cutouts and look like something from a space age lab. Pick them all up and feel them. Another important factor is balance. Is the rod and reel tip heavy, butt heavy, or just right. A combo that is tip heavy is tiring to fish with.

Hopefully you are near some well-stocked stores and that you can try them out. When I bought my last combo (from Cabela's) the guy let me put the reel on the rod to check the balance. I rejected a few rods before the angels sang. That is the feeling that you want to have.
That's a good idea thank you.

Bake
Bake
Something else I didn't put in my first post on this subject. A shorter rod will be easier on the shoulder (wrist and elbow). Why give the fish a longer lever, with your shoulder being the fulcrum?

I have always believed that trolling ( If possible) to be the most productive fishing technique. I have always enjoyed a short, light, 2 handed rod, with maybe a Penn Senator 109, 209, or 309 reel. I have even hung a "moocher" reel under a spinning rod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred
bass
bass
Bake said:
Something else I didn't put in my first post on this subject. A shorter rod will be easier on the shoulder (wrist and elbow). Why give the fish a longer lever, with your shoulder being the fulcrum?

I have always believed that trolling ( If possible) to be the most productive fishing technique. I have always enjoyed a short, light, 2 handed rod, with maybe a Penn Senator 109, 209, or 309 reel. I have even hung a "moocher" reel under a spinning rod.

That is a lot of good advice. I have 5 pins in my right shoulder, 3 in my left and I re-dislocated my left last year. Length of the rod is important but the most important is the center of the flex. A stiff fast action 6' rod is much more stressful than a 7' medium action rod. You can get a sense by testing rods a bit in the store. One other thing I dd over the past few years is to bring a couple of big duo-lock snaps and 1oz weights to the stores. I would hook the weights to the tip top and brace the rods at the reel seat to see which rods had the longer moment arm.

Basically, do as much "testing" as you can in the store before buying or make sure you can return./exchange anything you buy.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Fred
Bake
Bake
More flex, shorter the effective lever length.

Last edited:
bass
bass
Bake said:
More flex, shorter the effective lever length.

Exactly. Most rods today have a really fast action. I prefer a slightly slower action as it makes it easier to cast and easier to land fish in my kayak. I don't want a noodle but I like more than the last foot of the rod to want to bend. I am sure other folks love the fast action. That is why it is important to find the rods that you like.

Bake
Bake
A few years ago, I was fishing down in Mexico. Our Guide had a long, narrow boat, with a too big & powerful outbroad motor. We used a two handed rods that were about 5' to a max 6' foot long rod. The handle was about >3' long. The lower half was placed under the armpit, then a 4/0 reel, full of 20lb line, and then the fore arm. The blade was a very flex able fiberglass rod with a roller tip, and roller guides. Bring in a large fish was a piece of cake.

Sorry its been so long ago. I've forgotten the name of the rods, and the name of the boats. I believe the rods were named after the boats. About the only thing I remember is the reels were load with 20 lb line, and a light drag.

We fished with a vertical jig, and at the time it reminded me of ice fishing in the Black Hills of S.D. LOL...

I
indyflyer
Bake said:
Sorry its been so long ago. I've forgotten the name of the rods, and the name of the boats. I believe the rods were named after the boats. ...

Those boats are called Pangas,

Bake
Bake
BINGO!!!