What is your favorite saltwater to fish for?

A
Amberjack
So what species of saltwater fish is your favorite, whether it be the fight or table fare?

Me....

Tuna, best bang for the buck, great fight on light tackle, and good table fare.

Next would be Ocean Salmon, never know when that 40lb Chinook is gonna hit, and barb less hooks? also great table fare.

Next in line, Ling Cod or Cabezon. Can be a good fight and super table fare.

The there is halibut... okay fight on the big boys, and THE best table fare.

M
Markcanby
I would have to say anything I can catch. I will eat any of them in a heartbeat.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Catching = Tuna

Eating = All of the Above. Tuna, Salmon, Ling and Cabezon are all incredible and very regular table fare at my place.

D
Drew9870
Everything, and don't overlook those Striped Perch, those things might ruin your fillet knife, but they sure are tasty.

D
dan88
all of the about and bonito and corvina were some fun fights also

O
OnTheFly
dan88 said:
all of the about and bonito and corvina were some fun fights also

I'm going with Dan88 with the bonito on this one. I used to get these fish near the Channel Islands in California and they are absolutely Crazy! Pound for pound best fighting fish IMO. Halibut comes next.

B
BigShayne
I have gone serf perch fishing every year since I have been born. A long standing family tradition. I love the fight and when you find the fish the catching is crazy fast. Perch is also fantastic fried in corn meal with a little homemade tartar sauce.

H
halibuthitman
Black rockfish along kelp beds on my 6wt glass rod... until a 40 lb ling grabs the fish Im fightin... then my favorite is 40 lb lings caught on a flyrod using live bait!

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
Black rockfish along kelp beds on my 6wt glass rod... until a 40 lb ling grabs the fish Im fightin... then my favorite is 40 lb lings caught on a flyrod using live bait!

thats epic!!! should have got that one on tape

O
Oregon Coast
Me too!

O
Oregon Coast
Markcanby said:
I would have to say anything I can catch. I will eat any of them in a heartbeat.

Me Too!

F
firewalker
albacore to fish
halibut and albacore to eat
shallow water lingcod - lots of fun...

S
stanster
Albacore. Great fighters, wonderful table fare.

Yellowfin Tuna - gorgeous fish, heart of a champion, everyone of them and almost as tasty as albacore.

Dorado - like catching a jumping neon sign that tastes good.

Yellowtail - Mr. Crafty, if there is a way to wrap the line around something, he will do it and laugh at you. Can fish laugh?

Mako sharks, baddest legally catchable fish in the ocean and they taste like swordfish.

Thresher sharks, strongest fish in the ocean and every bit as tasty as makos.

Stanster

N
ninja2010
i agree with what stanster sez... except for the mako - never caught one.

but also to add...

bonefish - ounce for ounce, they're crazy fighters for their size

marlin - another tenacious fighter. never eaten, always c&r

sailfish - as above

kingfish - good eats, good eats. puts up a decent fight

barracuda - fun on light tackle in a float tube. never eaten these slime sticks...

barramundi - good table fare - sorta woosie after a few minutes on the fight

bonito - fun, fun, fun and yummy too

and there're quarries on my bucket list - tarpon, wahoo, redfish, drum, permit