What is your favorite aluminum drift boat?

jamisonace
jamisonace
You all know why I'm asking. It looks like insurance is going to take care of me on my boat so I'm in the market. I really loved my North River but they don't make them anymore so I'm looking for a new brand. I did notice the one in Eugene on Craigslist but they want too much for it.

I called down to Willie Boats and they can replace it for a fair price but I'm wondering if there are any other manufacturers you might recommend and why.

So, all things considered: What is your favorite aluminum boat and why?

I realize people are passionate here so lets see a good debate on what is best!

troutdude
troutdude
IDK; but dibs on riding shotgun! (But, I'll leave the oars in your capable hands my friend). Good luck finding a goodie.

D
DYJ
I know I am a newb on drift boats but I rowed my brother inlaws Willy's and of course I've rowed my D Back. Both are 17x54 and I couldn't tell a difference. I am sure that a guide or someone who spends a lot of time on the oars and has lots of experience could pin point the little differences in handling and what not, but they both rowed nice to me. That's why I bought my D Back.

If you want you can come give a good look over my boat and we can even float Island to D with you on the sticks (it'd be nice to fish again :lol:). The diamond backs seem to be competitivly priced and buildt somewhat local out in Veneta.

T
tomriker
I don't own a drift boat but have friends that do, one of them has a pavati, and loves it! I think their pretty slick too. My buddy's dad does all their powder coating too

C
capblack
we used to have a 16 ft koffler, and loved it but thats the only aluminum we had, so can't help on the others.

S
Santiam338
I have a glass boat,but if and when I get aluminum it will be Koffler...Mostly cause every time I go in the their shop,which is in Eugene (handy) they are always most helpful and friendly..I was working on my trailer and stopped in to pick up a couple things and they GAVE me some other stuff I needed...Great bunch of guys in there and their boat is as good as any...

H
hawgcaller
I just bought a used Koffler from the shop here in Eugene. It is my first boat and I am a newb but I will comment that Joe Koffler is a very personable guy and he will definitely show you some nice boats!
BTW, Pavati's do look super clean if you have that kind of money. lol. I don't know of anyone that has one though.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've always liked the guys at Koffler. They've done some work for me on a friends boat that I was fixing up and they took good care of me. Watchoutrout has a Diamond Back and I like it. It is a foot shorter than my North River so I might taek you up on rowing yours DYJ. I was looking at Pavati's today and they are slick but very expensive.

I just like the look of the Willies drift boat. The lines look really smooth and I hear they handle really well. When I called today about pricing, I was really surprised at how affordable they are.

Other brands I like are River Wolf and RB Boats.

That said, I've got a few weeks to make up my mind so I'm looking for any and all input.

I hate shopping but this is going to be fun!

E
eugene1
I'm not a drift boater, and they all look the same to me but I'll chime in anyway since Santiam338 did.

I deal with the guys at Koffler for my boat modifications from time to time. Awesome service! I bought some oars for my sled and Joe Koffler stayed open late so I could get them after work. I also had Bruce Koffler looking for parts for an old jet pump for me and he went above and beyond what was needed.

If I ever buy a new boat it'll be a Koffler.

Good to hear you're gonna keep boating after your wild ride, Jamie! Get what you think will be useful even when your kids are bigger.

M
madturtle
I would buy a Willie

I would buy a Willie

After talking to many guides I purchased a 17x54 Willie driftboat. It handles like a dream, I go on multi day float trips on the Umpqua river and even with two passengers and a boat full of camping gear it handles really well.

J
JeannaJigs
Good to hear you're going to be getting a replacement. I myself have a glass boat, but if I were getting an aluminum drifter I'd be looking at a willie or a koffler. I've rowed both and they're both great boats. I liked the willies slightly better I think it was a little more responsive, but Koffler is local and those guys will bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need. Both are great companies, it just comes down to preference I think. Look forward to seeing what you decide on. Also was wondering who you go through for boat insurance?

E
eugene1
I was wondering about the insurance too. I think my previous boat was covered under my home owner's as it was pretty inexpensive. Not sure about gear and so on. Was your boat covered under your home owner's insurance or did you have a separate policy for it, Jamie?

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
I have had my Diamond Back 16' Guide Model since 1984. I got locking front storage, locking transom storage, and the bench is also locking storage. This adds a lot of weight to carry already and then put gear and people in there and you have what I call, "The Barge"! The bottom rake is flat which makes you work harder to pivot and make quick turns. I have had it through Pinball on the North Umpqua and it was a pain to get it to move that whole trip from Boulder Flat. It is fine through Class 3 but give you heavy hydralics, and you better not miss a stroke. So think about what you need and check all options that the different makers have. My best wishes for you and I am so thankful that that all of you got out alive from your boat sinking. Fred

jamisonace
jamisonace
JeannaJigs said:
Good to hear you're going to be getting a replacement. I myself have a glass boat, but if I were getting an aluminum drifter I'd be looking at a willie or a koffler. I've rowed both and they're both great boats. I liked the willies slightly better I think it was a little more responsive, but Koffler is local and those guys will bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need. Both are great companies, it just comes down to preference I think. Look forward to seeing what you decide on. Also was wondering who you go through for boat insurance?

Allstate handles all my insurance...Rich Ruhl on Coburg is a highschool friend of mine. FYI: boat and boating gear are covered under boat insurance and all my fishing gear under homeowners so I have two deductibles. The jury is still out on how well they will take care of me but I'm optimistic.

E
eugene1
Thanks for the info, I have Allstate too and am going to give them a call to see if I would benefit from a boat policy as well.

Later,

H
hawgcaller
Definitely boat insurance is in order for myself. lol. I have a Koffler with some lami oars I would be willing to let you take for a spin but I am sure Joe has a newer model he would let you test run if you were interested in a new boat. :D