What is up with this creek?

A
alm21
I believe there are fish in it, I just don't believe there are many of them. This creek kicks my butt everytime. I haven't been fishing it long so I realize there's a lot for me to learn/understand about the runs on this system. Nor have I been fishing for steelhead for long so add that to the learning curve. However, I haven't been coming across too many people who have been catching fish at EC. So what's up? For those who know this system, how would you summarize the fishing out there right now? Typical? Unusual? Curious, not looking for secrets or the "magic sauce".

T
Troutier Bassier
Its a delicate creek that you have to fish hard to result in fish.

A
alm21
Troutier Bassier said:
Its a delicate creek that you have to fish hard to result in fish.

Small creeks are a challenge for me and I look forward to finally getting into a fish on them. I've been fishing hard which is fine but as long as I am fishing smart too.

H
halibuthitman
well, i can't decipher eagle as I have fished it very little, but with success every time... so, in general, for me.... small rivers usally produce best with a flyrod, using, peach or black.. or any dark color phase very small, but on sunny days very big and very brite sometimes works, fish any moving water especially long runs about a foot deep.. and tight to any bank cover.. pocket water will also hold a suprising amount of fish. fish eagle creek like you would fish summers... and I think your luck will change-

A
alm21
halibuthitman said:
well, i can't decipher eagle as I have fished it very little, but with success every time... so, in general, for me.... small rivers usally produce best with a flyrod, using, peach or black.. or any dark color phase very small, but on sunny days very big and very brite sometimes works, fish any moving water especially long runs about a foot deep.. and tight to any bank cover.. pocket water will also hold a suprising amount of fish. fish eagle creek like you would fish summers... and I think your luck will change-

Thanks for the tips. I have noticed that people with flyrods do well on the small creeks. Another good reason for me to get into fly fishing. That will have to be my next "setup" project after I finish getting my center pin float setup done. Have the reel, looking for the rod.

B
bigsteel
alm21 said:
Thanks for the tips. I have noticed that people with flyrods do well on the small creeks. Another good reason for me to get into fly fishing. That will have to be my next "setup" project after I finish getting my center pin float setup done. Have the reel, looking for the rod.
from what ive seen most of those guys are just drift fishing with a fly rod.a chunk of lead and a huge windmill cast.by no means is it fly fishing but it is effective.

H
halibuthitman
its catchin fish with a flyrod... if you prefer a purist method you can nymph fish yarn or nymphs.... the proper term for the style bigsteel is refering to is "dredging" and HIGHLY effective, fishing shouldn't be about numbers... but to some degree it requires success... so you can use many styles to present your attractant... I personaly feel that dropping 2 flys under a float/indicater/bobber whatever... or cech nymping is not anymore pure of a form of flyfishing than dredging.. and a super heavy rio sink tip with a 5' leader to a weighted fly is a basterd cousin to flossing if you turn your cast slightly up stream and mend a certain way... so I won't throw rocks here-

B
bigsteel
:cool::cool:

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
and I agree just pointing out the actual fact that in steelheading... the term flyfishing is a very liberal term used at ones own twisted view-

B
bigsteel
first time i went with damon,we were dredging and i brought that SOB back up to 10 o clock and about crapped myself.

A
alm21
I was fishing a small creek with my buddy who drifted a jig on his flyrod which landed him 11.4lbs of success. Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting this pic. :)

IMAG0001-1.jpg

M
Mad dog
halibuthitman said:

Peach!!! Oh, no you didn't!!!

Small stream steelhead....stuck on cover!!!

Just about everything you need to know in this post! Crick fishin' at it's finest!

M
metalfisher76
Pretty much what HHM said. It`s early YO! So wait for the next rain too. The first brought a few in and there are still some scattered about but you will work for `em.

My roll cast with lead is STRAIT DEADLY! It`s just the way I came up on small water. I`ll get into that other flyflingin stuff later, maybe. It`s just a TOOL:D..... and I`m wayyyyyyy into steel to go after much else at this point.

O
OnTheDrop
what are you using? I feel the run this year is already well on its way. Been up there 10 times the past 2 or 3 weeks.. Havent got skunked one time... Was there today for 20 minutes and had two steelys on the bank. Alls i use is bobbers and jigs. Let me tell you that theres plenty of fish in there to catch. Just be subtle and use small offerings. I use 1/16 oz jigs. They're hungry right now too : ) good luck

B
bigsteel
metalfisher76 said:
Pretty much what HHM said. It`s early YO! So wait for the next rain too. The first brought a few in and there are still some scattered about but you will work for `em.

My roll cast with lead is STRAIT DEADLY! It`s just the way I came up on small water. I`ll get into that other flyflingin stuff later, maybe. It`s just a TOOL:D..... and I`m wayyyyyyy into steel to go after much else at this point.

the master of roll cast has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y
youngbuck307
What part of the creek u fishin killer? I was up high today few fish around not many only had few hours and that we had more rain than the creek showed....

M
metalfisher76
"what are you using? I feel the run this year is already well on its way. Been up there 10 times the past 2 or 3 weeks.. Havent got skunked one time... Was there today for 20 minutes and had two steelys on the bank. Alls i use is bobbers and jigs. Let me tell you that theres plenty of fish in there to catch. Just be subtle and use small offerings. I use 1/16 oz jigs. They're hungry right now too : ) good luck "
You don`t count;)Yer a regular; errr... irregular....:D
The ol man`s been gettin `em. I`m workin way more than I`m fishin. But most, newer to this, will work for their fish. `Ats all I`m sayin...

M
metalfisher76
youngbuck307 said:
What part of the creek u fishin killer? I was up high today few fish around not many only had few hours and that we had more rain than the creek showed....

Did it come up????

M
metalfisher76
bigsteel said:
the master of roll cast has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It`s a whippin like roll:)