What is the best thing to use in Diamond Lake?

T
the salmon kid
we are going up to enter in the black bird 5000 trout derby and are new to the lake we herd that power bait works but we want to know the finer details of what we need, where to fish and how to use it, we where going to use a wedding ring behind a ford fender,,.. we need to know this info soon the derby is coming up soon so if you have any advice on what to use that would be great

T
Throbbit _Shane
Most boats just anchor up and use powerbait on the bottom or worms under a bobber. Flys also work well. Good luck at the derby, i might enter if i can find a boat to get on :)

L
Left Bank
When we were up there two weeks ago we caught many fish it the 12-17 inch range trolling a wedding ring with worms or powerballs. But of course those aren't the sizes you'll be going after but my dad was looking for quantity over quality.
Here's what normally works for the bigger fishys from what I've collected from reports of how others are doing: Rainbow powerbait or chartuse powereggs on the bottom in 10-20 ft of water. Worms on the bottom or 5 ft or more under a bobber.

T
the salmon kid
thanks for the advice i herd that there where some really big trout in there and that there is a 500$ fish swimmin around in there somewhere. we are going to be camping up there fore 3 days and we aree taking my 12ft boat up there. i herd that spoons work up there and that the olny way to catch the big trout is from a boat is that true or is there a good place to bank fish?

N
nwkiller
whats the date for the blackbird derby?

T
the salmon kid
26 on saturday

N
nwkiller
nice, ill b there

S
steelhead_stalkers
A couple things to consider. What most people use is what the lodge says is catching fish. Powerbait and worms! Both work great because there are a quarter million fish swimming around in there. :D Now one thing most people don't realize is that the biggest fish in the lake are caught by fly fisherman, nobody at the lodge sees those fish by a stringer because the fly guys for the most part just catch and release. I know a few guys up there who have caught over 200 trout in a day fly fishing. Also the new lake record I can guarantee came from a fly fisherman. I spend a lot of time at fly shops taking to guys about how they do up there and some of the pictures I have seen are amazing! Diamond Lake has some of the biggest population of bugs and flies per acre than probably anywhere in the state. They plant all of the fish in Diamond Lake as smolts and they grow up in the lake feeding on these flies and bugs. The largest fish in the lake have been feeding this way for years and were not raised on pellets or anything like that.

This is not to say that the person who wins the derby or catches the next lake record will not come on powerbait or worms but there is a whole other side to catching fish at Diamond Lake that most don't hear about. We will be up there this weekend and will be filming a video on three different techniques that can be used to not only catch a bazillion trout but also some very large ones.

This is one of the main reasons we have developed a jig/fly combo to fish under a float up at Diamond Lake. It allows you to fish an incredibly effective technique that for the most part is under used by gear fisherman. My uncle for instance was up there with me fishing powerbait off the bottom. He eventually got tired of me hooking fish after fish and him getting nibbles and missing fish. He was catching his fair share but after I landed 5 fish over 18 inches and he had only caught 12 inchers he switched over. Also, he was fishing two rods off the bottom and I was just fishing one with a float and jig/fly combo! Let me know if you haver any questions and good luck up there. :dance:

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
hey SS can i pick uo those green flies u make at ORRT?

S
steelhead_stalkers
I haven't really started selling them yet online or at his shop. I am working on getting all of our steelhead jigs back in stock there. If you want some just let me know and I can tie up some for you and meet you at ORRT sometime. I have quit a few guys over at Diamond Lake right now fishing them and will get some reports out when they get back. The hook I got in my finger has slowed down production a little bit. :lol:

N
nwkiller
lol, i bet..thanks a lot man

T
the salmon kid
i am going up to diamond lake and i have a big flytieng kit and was wondering if you could teach me how to make the diamond lake flys that work if you could send me a vid that would be great . if not where can i buy them?

Last edited:
T
the salmon kid
ive seen almost all of the steelhead stalker vids and it is amazing how many fish you guys catch

ps, do you guys need a nother steelhead stalker im available,, lol

H
halibuthitman
come on guys.. make him a steelhead stalker!! he is after all the futer of fishing.

S
steelhead_stalkers
We don't catch any more fish than most people in Oregon we just have the opportunity to video it. :D Just two regular guys getting out fishing. :dance: Thanks for the compliment though.

T
the salmon kid
i tried to tie my own diamond lake flys like the ones from the website but the ones i made look nothing like the ones you made. is there olny one kind of fly that works? or is it just any kind of bug that they are hitting on?. cause i have a couple boxes of flys that i tied and i bought and was wondering what kind of flys work on diamond lake? i have a whole bunch of different flys for the rogue river and i am wondering if they will work up there too please help

some times when the water is quiet and calm you can hear the fish laughing at me

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
well when i am tournement fishing, i usally stick with what works for me. make sure you have everything in the arsenal. just catch fish like you catch fish...usually the thing that loses the tounement for poeple is missing that one peice of the puzzle....good luck man

T
the salmon kid
thanks i saw the vid of the new diamond lake flys and i am wanting to try them in the derby
i have hundreds of flys but i don't know if they will work up at diamond lake cause Ive never fished there before

N
nwkiller
yeah im curious in them as well..well if i get them and you can't get a hold of them or vise versa, we can meet at the tourney and exchange

T
the salmon kid
sounds good man ill be the only one riding my bike with a fly pole and the youngest person with a boat