What is the best rod and reel for smallmouth bass fishing???

B
Brian Dupree
i am in the market for a new rod and reel, and was wondering what others thought is the best rod for the money. I want to spend no more than about $75.00 to $100.00. Any ideas??? opinons, etc. thanks everyone.

Troutski
Troutski
So many ideas...

So many ideas...

Brian Dupree said:
i am in the market for a new rod and reel, and was wondering what others thought is the best rod for the money. I want to spend no more than about $75.00 to $100.00. Any ideas??? opinons, etc. thanks everyone.

I can't tell you how many combos there are on the market for this. I just went through this, I chose a med. heavy 7' spinning rod and a Shimano 2500 spinning reel. I have a passion for the Stradic model, but that is just me and my wallet. Some anglers love bait casters and others love spinning gear. It comes down to what you feel most comfortable with..and what your wallet can afford. Best of luck and let us know what you decided.
One thing you didn't mention was the line....and this my friend is another whole thread....!!!:shock:

Chuck

J
JTLunker
I agree with Troutski on the spinning reel, but I like a med action rod. You have a little more sensitivity and the fight is that much better. Happy hunting!

F
fitterdent
i like using a bait casting rod. i bought a diawa reel for 60 bucks. (i like it a lot) and a shakespear 7' light medium rod, i like the light medium a lot, it makes it easier to tell if your getting a bite, or bumping into rocks. and it also feels like they are fighting a lot more. the rod was 25 bucks. so 85 bucks and you got yourself a bad ass setup for bass. also look in the paper, a lot of places are having sales on fishing gear around this time. best of luck.

F
FishSchooler
Spinning gear is the easiest I think. Cheaper than baitcasters too I think. Easier to use I think. Just get a trout or steelhead rod with 8-12 pound test and that will work for bass I think I think. I think I think is getting a little weird I think.

H
Hawk
Spring this year i bought 2- Mitchell 300 XE spinning reels on sale at WallyWorld.........:D. I've been using one of them fer Bass. I still also use my Mitchell 300 i bought in the 1960's..............................:cool:...................................:D:D

i use a 6'6" Garcia medium action rod much of the time......................

M
Mustangdan23
Go to Bi-mart and get the Lamiglas 7ft pole they have it is lifetime over the counter replacement and a great rod, cost you 57.99 I think. I have broke mine twice and get a new one everytime no reciept

F
flippinbaits
i would get a spinning reel. with a 7' medium rod. shimano have good warrantys and arent too expensive. what waters were u planning on fishing near mac?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
$0.02

$0.02

I love my Ugly Stick! Light --> medium...7' --> 8'...8# --> 12#...what's NOT to love? Great rod with daiwa spinning reel. That's my $0.02. :D
Barb

F
FishSchooler
The cheapest option is to make your own with bamboo for a rod and a wooden cyilnder for your reel. :lol:;):cool::dance::D

B
Boywhofishes
i love my OLD Shimano R2000 it's great for almost all my fishing jobs :D

K
krikcoin
I use a 6-6 medium Heavy rod for small mouth it has enough back bones to get those big bronzebacks in and you still have a bit of sensitivity for soft plastics Berkley makes a rod called th lightning if you can find it it is a great 1 piece rod and it is cheap at 40 dollars usuallly find it at wal-mart. reels to each there own i use a mitchell avocet gold on my worm rod and a quantum elite on my hard bait rod so you choose it's whatever you prefer. and you are the most comfortable with