What is the best line for throwing spinners at coho?

R
riverman
Are these braided and new hi-grade lines worth the money?

C
chrisohm
Yes but you still want a leader that looks invisible in the water and maybe a scented oil for your spinner. Depends on where you fish.

R
riverman
what would you reccomend using for leader and scented oil?

T
Troutier Bassier
The braided line I had on my rod couldnt fish spinners at all. Because the line didn't sink very well with light spinners I couldnt fish deeper water so thats why I use mono on my spinner rods.

B
beaverfan
8-10lb maxima ug works fine for me, no need to use braid. The only thing I would use braid for is a bobber setup.

C
chrisohm
Use a shrimp oil or other oil that mimics what they ate out at sea. For the leader I would use 10-15# mono. You don't need the oil but it can help. With the braided line you will feel more of the action from your spinner and the leader will have a little give to it since it is flexible(mono). Use a double Palomar knot to a barrel swivel on your braided side then tie your leader to the swivel with whatever knot you feel comfortable with. The braided lines need a stronger knot like a double Palomar or double uni. Be careful though, that braided can cut you. Some people just tie on the spinner but make sure it has a swivel or is set up to keep you tangle free. The options are endless for what you want to do and everyone has their own favorites. Choose what you feel comfortable with. Braided is awesome for not breaking but very useful for strong or large fish and baitcasting. Mono can break at any moment with a kink, bad knot, weak spot but has that ability to sink and be practically invisible in the water.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Interesting theories. Like I said I would stick to mono for throwing spinners and spoons. 8-10lb mono is plenty strong to land 20lb fish under most conditions.

C
chrisohm
So far I have never had a problem with 10# braided line and spinners, as long as the spinner has a swivel on it, or I just tie a snap swivel on my line and attach the spinner/spoon to that. The key is when spooling the reel, have serious tension on the line and use some tape if necessary. I do my spooling at home and never have a problem with my line, if I have somoone else do it, I spend more time fixing my problems than catching fish!

A
Anyfishisfine
I've been having good luck with Maxima and spinners. 3 weeks ago I got a Chinook and steelhead on 6# and a spinner, and landed them just fine, but I decided to play it safe and put 10# on the spare spool. On that I got 3 coho yesterday, including one that was an Olympic acrobat that I thought for sure was going to break me off, but he didn't.

I also use it as my float fishing leader (6# and 10#) and I almost never break off, even when I snag the bottom. 10# is super strong.

Braid floats and I've never been able to use it effectively with spinners. Best thing ever for float fishing though.

C
chrisohm
I would agree that with small spinners it is useless unless you attach some weight to it which isn't easy unless you know what you are doing. Larger spinners don't have as many problems and help the braid sink. I like to experiement since I have been on a "make my own" spinners kick.

B
bigdog
I would have to say I stay away from braided. I had it on a spool once and really didn't like it to much. If it nicks a rock or something at all it is going to break on you. Mono is a lot more resitent to nicks then braided. I run 10# main and 8# leader for this time of year. I will bump it up to 12/10 for springers.

J
Jacks Tackle
I run 17# PLine CXX or Clear Blue Stren Original. I dont really care about visibilty, fishing spinners is geared towards turning on the aggression of fish and aggressive fish are gonna kill it whether its 8 pound line or hemp rope tied to it.

The other reason I use heavy mono is because it makes the drift of your spinner much more fluid, kinda like a flyline does for a fly when fly fishing.

Add in the benefits of losing a bit less gear.

Drift fishing or jig fishing = light line and finesse presentaions.

Spinner = rattle their cage and wake them up

A few years back we fished bright yellow braid tied direct (no leader) to our MCKenzie River Summer Steelhead spinners in the lowest clearest water of the season for spooky summer steelies and saw no difference in our catch results. Presentaion of the spinners will lead to more fish then the line tied to them.

RB

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
Good info Rob.

I would have to disagree with the braid and breaking if it gets nicked. I have had a lot of fish rub me around and over rocks so bad that I could feel it in my rod and have the fish stay hooked. I even had a very large summer steelhead last year on the McKenzie wrapped around a rock and I felt it rubbing back and forth, finally I had to break the fish off but the braid held the fish through all of the fight. I also had a time on the Trinity River that a fish was stuck on a big boulder and kept rubbing its head all over the rocks, this fish finally came off of what it was hooked on and I landed it after 15 minutes of it being stuck! I think that is just a misconception about braid and it being less resistant. Float fishing = braid, spinner fishing = mono! Both have their benefits for the desired technique. :)

B
bigdog
I must have got some bad or cheap braid then. I don't remember what kind it was but it either didn't like the rocks I was fishing by or just didn't like me lol.

D
DirectDrive
I would never in my freakin' life use braid for casting spinners. One a good day it will "tip-rap" and with spinners...you get the picture.
I like Sufix ProMix (Lemon Green) and Sufix Tritanium (Hi-Vis Charteuse) in 10#
I would also entertain P-Line CXX Xtra Strong.

The spinner presentation is so aggressive that funky clear leaders are not necessary.
Also scents are not necessary or needed.

By the time he sees my Chartreuse line , he's ridin' it.......no kidding.....at all :D

I
ING
steelhead_stalkers said:
Good info Rob.

I would have to disagree with the braid and breaking if it gets nicked.... :)
Yes, braid is breaking near rocks and concrete because it has almost zero abrasion tolerance.
I've lost a big striper at moment when braid has touched a concrete pier. After that I've tested different lines for abrasion resistance - just rubbed them back and force along the sharpening bar and calculated how many times lines bear that. The best was fluorocarbon. The worst - braid.
Good luck

H
halibuthitman
when I was 10 I caught thousands of fish on $2 spools of eagleclaw line from Kmart on a fiberglass rod that looked like it came off Rubber duckies peterbuilt.. paired with a nice zebco 202.. so now what is the concern all you grown ups are having with your $200 rods $75 reels and $25 dollars worth of line? Ya want to buy one of the spools... I still have some

C
ChezJfrey
halibuthitman said:
when I was 10 I caught thousands of fish on $2 spools of eagleclaw line from Kmart on a fiberglass rod that looked like it came off Rubber duckies peterbuilt.. paired with a nice zebco 202.. so now what is the concern all you grown ups are having with your $200 rods $75 reels and $25 dollars worth of line? Ya want to buy one of the spools... I still have some

Maybe their point is that with the fancy line and uber-expensive gear back then you woulda caught MILLIONS of fish, rather than that paltry THOUSANDS. LOL!

R
RunWithSasquatch
I use braid on every rod I own as the main line, and I love the retention of my terminal gear, and it is light on the water when running bobbers. It comes with its own problems. ie weird knots/ tip wrap/ freezing between casts. I prefer a heavier braid even for steel head- 50lb because the line diameter is still small, and it is easier to tie knots with, wrather than a small 20lb braid. For spinners in a coho situation I'd run a 50lb braid main with an 8' preleader of 10lb ultra green joined with a double-uni knot!

R
rippin fish lips
When river fishing in the summer, i use 6LB zebco omniflex mono line. i have had no problems with it at all, and i have landed all my summer steelhead and salmon on it. When trolling tide water i use a 35lb braided main line with a 5' 25 ilb mono leader.