What fly lines

brandon4455
brandon4455
wanting to know what fly lines everyone prefers,, the outfit im getting has some rio floating line pre spooled on it also wanted to know if thats a good brand thanks,

brandon

M
mrlindeman
I like Cortland 333 size 6 weight foreward floating rocket taper :)

B
bigsteel
cortland 444DT

E
everett464
I know the 333 gets a lot of play around these parts, but I will tell you this: The tip sinks, and not in a good way. It is durable and cheap (some may say a good value), but it is not good fly line. I have used it; hell, I even have it spooled on one of my main backup reels, but I would not ever put it on my primary reel (edit: maybe if I was really hard up, and having trout withdrawals or something).

Go to the fly shop. Fly line is too important. Bring your rod, and have them show you whats going to happen. Give them a price range, and don't even let them mention the name of something outside of it.

FTR: I don't know what your price range is, what type of fishing you are trying to do, or what your cast looks like, but I really recommend the Royal Wulff Ambush Triangle Taper line. It takes a cast or two to get a feel for the stuff, but it is SWEET! Roll casts beautifully, and shoots out your reel on overhead casts. It is not "Cheap," or even all that inexpensive, but if you have a couple of bucks...

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
I can't afford line like that yet but when I can I will definatly check out you sudgestion. :) Thanks. The 333 seems to float well for me though. I am good with it so far.

brandon4455
brandon4455
wow! looks like cortland is by far the most preffered. after my rio gets nasty and old ill have to look at cortland lines, how long does the average fly line need replaced?

B
bigsteel
brandon4455 said:
wow! looks like cortland is by far the most preffered. after my rio gets nasty and old ill have to look at cortland lines, how long does the average fly line need replaced?

depemds on how u take care of it..my father still uses the same line hes had since 1985.I just prefer the cortland 444dt cause its a proven line,ive never had problems casting it.

E
everett464
Some of these ol' timers will tell you about line that they have had for 10+ years, that still works like new. You need to clean and dress your lines relatively regularly. I would say weekly if you are fishing lightly, and more if you are fishing hard. I will reiterate my above point though: if you by cheap line, it will not last no matter how good a care you take of it. Similarly, if you buy high-quality line, and never clean it, it will not last.

If you invest a moderate amount of money, in a decent line, and you take care of it, you should have it for a very long time.

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
depemds on how u take care of it..my father still uses the same line hes had since 1985.I just prefer the cortland 444dt cause its a proven line,ive never had problems casting it.

holy cow! thats some old line, that probably saved your dad 100's of dollars. thats pretty cool . what do ya clean it with?

E
everett464
Brandon, what are you fishing for? Where are you fishing? And, what is your price range?

brandon4455
brandon4455
steelhead , i fish the nestucca and three rivers,the salmon ,santiam and possibly the alsea once or twice. and the most i would pay for a line is like 30$ i know thats very cheap for fly line but theres no way in hell i will be able to pay more then that for a line until i get a job in the summer. im not worried about buying some for a bit unless im unhappy with rio

E
everett464
the most i would pay for a line is like 30$

Has anyone mentioned the Cortland 333 Floating Rocket Taper? Really excellent line.

brandon4455
brandon4455
mr lindeman did. and ill add that onto a list of stuf to get this summer. thanks for the help and suggestions.. very helpful.

B
bigsteel
everett464 said:
Has anyone mentioned the Cortland 333 Floating Rocket Taper? Really excellent line.

I dont know what you have against cortland,but ive thrown the triangle taper and its overpriced fly line,its like a novelty item,,i can do the same presentation with my cortland and get just as many fish as i would with a 100 dollar line,,i mean geez you got a 16 year old kid who has never fly fished and your gonna tell him to go buy 100 dollar line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my cortland has lasted 4 years so far and will probably another 4.being able to cast the line is a bonus i guess.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would never pay more then 50$ for a fly line even if i had a job. 100$ is a waste when you can fish a 20-50$ fly line and catch just as many fish. i know i haven't even started fly fishing yet but i'm sure if dave had both lines he could go prove what i just said with a few hours at the river.

Last edited:
E
everett464
Heyo! Easy there.

I think if $30 is your price range, then the 333 is likely the best choice. I did not know what his price range was, or for that matter how old he was. that is why I asked the question, and when I heard the answer I changed my tactic, humorously (or so I thought).

As for the Triangle Taper, I will kindly disagree with the "novelty" factor. I have increased my cast by a solid 15-20 feet since purchasing it, and it was recommended to me by a fellow who has been fly-fishing for roughly sixty years. I loved it, and so I am sharing my experience with it. I have used the 333, and the 444, and SA Sharkskin (which cost a lot more than the Royal Wulff), not to mention others, and through those experiences I settled on the Triangle. I can afford it, and I am very satisfied. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Oh, and it goes for about $65, not $100

brandon4455
brandon4455
ok i came on a bit strong,, my bad :/ i apologize..

E
everett464
I don't feel like you did.

brandon4455
brandon4455
well i guess this is just debating at it's best then, it's a matter of personal preference i guess, i just think a cheaper priced line can preform the same as an expensive one.. it might just be a matter of working harder to get better casting distance there are a lot of variables that can be added to this Lol

M
Markcanby
For the price an the quality I really like the Rio lines.