What fish finder?

C
Charlie_merrifi
I want to purchase a new finder. Want it to sho fish, temp, and speed and not break the bank. What do you suggest

C
capblack
you can get pretty cheap finders that have temp included, but you have to step up quite a bit to get one that will show speed, and all the ones ive seen take a second sensor for the speed. Im not sure about price, but i think any with speed are around $300 minimum. good luck, Brian

C
Charlie_merrifi
thats what i thiught. The humminbird site says there speed sensor only goes down to 2mph. Need one lower. What about the lowrance ones

C
capblack
your best bet is to research them online. make sure it reads in tenths also. it gets critical especially fishing for kokes. Brian

C
Charlie_merrifi
All ive seen are 2 mph and up. Maybe a luhr jensen is what ineed

B
beaverfan
Every fish finder I've seen that does speed without using GPS are pretty inaccurate that's why they won't register under 2mph. I always just use my GPS for speed.

C
capblack
Charlie_merrifi said:
All ive seen are 2 mph and up. Maybe a luhr jensen is what ineed

ive heard those luhr jensen speed trolls are pretty accurate, and only $40 or so. Ive never used one, but ive definitely considered it. Brian

T
Thuggin4Life
For a really great finder. get the eagle 480 i think. does gps mapping and gps speed. thing with speed is gps is acurate at high speeds and water sensors aren't but are for the opposite. paid about 300 or so from cabelas but got it on sale and got a deal on shipping. would be a lot better if i upgrade for somewhere around 70 is or so to the better maps. paid another 80 for the water speed sensor but out of the box it does speed over land(gps). ver yhandy tool. worth saving up and investing. i had a 100 huminbird on my other boat and sure it helped as a fishing tool but never liked it. wasn't worth the time to take it off when i sold the boat.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I had an Eagle Sea Finder. Worked GREAT.

F
fish4life
Might whant to check out fishermans supply or dicks I think they have some in there ad this weekend on sale. I would definitely say one with gps that should accurately chart you speed.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Also, I was told by the guy at Sportsman's that, by far, Humminbirds were returned most often due to defectiveness. He even went to far as to tell me that he had pulled several out for display models that failed to function. If you think about how seldom display models are put up that's really a terrible sign. He also said that even ones which worked had bad seals that would allow the screen to develop condensation, terminals would become corroded etc.. Very poorly made in his opinion.

Last edited:
C
Charlie_merrifi
GraphiteZen said:
I had an Eagle Sea Finder. Worked GREAT.

Was it the 480 and how well did it track speed.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Where is fisherman supply

C
capblack
fishermans is in oregon city, next to 205. the place sucks!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Go to the eagle website. I researched my finder before i settled on a model that did everything i wanted it to.

C
Charlie_merrifi
What finder do you use

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Charlie_merrifi said:
Was it the 480 and how well did it track speed.

NO I think it was a little larger, and as far as speed I have no idea. I had it on a pontoon LOL!

It was a great finder though, tons of power!

H
HONKER1
Just for kicks I will use the Luhr Jensen when trolling and I have to admit it is very accurate in speed. In a lake it is right on the money with my GPS speed. In the river it will vary depending how strong the current is. It is a cheaper way to go if your only worried about trolling speed.

Troutski
Troutski
Humminbirds....

Humminbirds....

I have owned four Humminbirds over the years...great units. My advice is spend the extra 100.00 and get the COLOR upgrade, worth 1000.00; if you are a troller I recommend the two or three D units it allows you to know when to turn before you leave the channel.
Cabelas is having a sale at this moment...and yes the 2D color model with GPS is on sale...!!!!
Good luck.

Cabela's: Sonar & GPS Combos

Chuck

T
Thuggin4Life
Man i really wish i got color. was palaying with one today,