What do you do with Holiday leftovers?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have two favorites. (After I've eaten all the turkey and ham sandwiches on Rhodes rolls I can in couple days of course.)

Ham - Slow cook (crockpot) your leftover ham (bone in hopefully) with black beans. Nothing else. While that is going roast some anaheim peppers. When the slow cooking is done. Serve in a bowl topped with peppers, tomato, onion, avocado, cilantro and lime.

Turkey - Pull all the meat off the bone and mix with enchilada sauce and chopped onion. Roll in corn tortillas and top with cheddar cheese and bake until done.

Both are so simple but so good.

My ham and beans just went into the slow cooker and I'm getting ready to roast the peppers. Also, I don't have any right now but roasting garlic to add to the soup is great too.

K
Kevinb5688
Good ideas.
I tale the ham hawk and some pulled ham and make home made split pea soup ( great when cold and raining outside).
With the turkey i made nachos and enchilada soup.

W
waco
jamisonace said:
I have two favorites. (After I've eaten all the turkey and ham sandwiches on Rhodes rolls I can in couple days of course.)

Ham - Slow cook (crockpot) your leftover ham (bone in hopefully) with black beans. Nothing else. While that is going roast some anaheim peppers. When the slow cooking is done. Serve in a bowl topped with peppers, tomato, onion, avocado, cilantro and lime.

Turkey - Pull all the meat off the bone and mix with enchilada sauce and chopped onion. Roll in corn tortillas and top with cheddar cheese and bake until done.

My ham and beans just went into the slow cooker and I'm getting ready to roast the peppers. Also, I don't have any right now but roasting garlic to add to the soup is great too.
You are making me hungry!! Those are very common mexican recipes!
We cook the left over ham with beans too on the slow cooker but we add ham hawks (I think are called)
With the left overs turkey we make soup or panuchos! (mexican food) it's a lot of work but so worth it!

Last edited:
D
DYJ
We do turky inchaladas too. I also love home made denver omletts for breakfast with left over ham. Other than that it's just microwaved left overs packed up for my lunch till they're gone. The turkey is already gone and I am gettin tired of ham...

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yeah, I might look like everyday white bread but my mom is a light skinned latina raised in Northern New Mexico. I can't do restaurant Mex after being raised on her cooking. Our family doctor would accept Mexican dinners from her as payment. Best food I've ever had was at her table.

waco said:
You are making me hungry!! Those are very common mexican recipes!

troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:

Dood. I know where you live...and I'll be over tonight to provide voracious assistance in quickly consuming all of your tasty leftovers!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Anyone's welcome at our dinner table. Come hungry.

troutdude said:
Dood. I know where you live...and I'll be over tonight to provide voracious assistance in quickly consuming all of your tasty leftovers!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

J
JeannaJigs
I did a ham in the smoker for christmas, and have been feeding on split pea soup made with the hock and some diced ham in the crock pot, all week. It's almost gone, gonna be sad when it is. Actually as I write this...my brother just walked by with a bowl in hand....there it goes...all gone.

W
waco
jamisonace said:
Anyone's welcome at our dinner table. Come hungry.
Everybody a OFF get together at jamiesonace house! come hungry!
:yay: :dance: :) ;)

troutdude
troutdude
JeannaJigs said:
I did a ham in the smoker for christmas, and have been feeding on split pea soup made with the hock and some diced ham in the crock pot, all week. It's almost gone, gonna be sad when it is. Actually as I write this...my brother just walked by with a bowl in hand....there it goes...all gone.

Good Lord. He won't go fishing, and he eats all of your bean soup? Hmph!!!

J
JeannaJigs
Such is life....siblings....things don't change when you get older!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've cooked for 20+ but 7,000 might be pushing it:)

waco said:
Everybody a OFF get together at jamiesonace house! come hungry!
:yay: :dance: :) ;)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I cook for 100+ for a living and just want to caution everyone about keeping turkey too long. I know...we all stretch the leftovers for as long as we can but, you can become seriously sick from ptomaine poisoning, in fact several people die every year from this lil nasty. You really shouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than 2-3 days without freezing it. Unfortunately, I have to throw away nearly all the leftovers at work. Such a waste...

pto·maine   [toh-meyn, toh-meyn]
noun
any of a class of foul-smelling nitrogenous substances produced by bacteria during putrefaction of animal or plant protein: formerly thought to be toxic.

J
JeannaJigs
yum. turkey poisoning.

On the topic of illness from eating stuff, I'd like to also remind people that there's a major outbreak of gastroenteritis (i.e. "stomach flu") going around. HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS. Couple of my coworkers were in the ER for christmas, and everyone's getting it at the hospital. My cousin's kids picked it up from daycare this week too. So wash, wash, washhhh those hands.