What do worms eat??

S
SALTYFISH
just like the title says what do worms eat? I but worms every time i go fishing and always have some left over. so i made a box to keep them in out side with dirt in it so now what do i feed them? i heard shreded paper but i dont know any advice would be great.

A
Anyfishisfine
Cornmeal makes a good worm food. Sprinkle a tiny amount on top of the bedding, and they will come up and eat it when it's dark. Too much and they can't eat it all, and it will go bad, killing them.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Geesh, I just stick mine in the fridge and they seem to last for at least a month.

My grandpa had a worm farm and they used paper, cardboard and compost mostly when feeding them.

M
Modest_Man
Google is your friend. All sorts of info out there on keeping worms. I'd just make a compost bin and turn your table scraps into food and compost with the worms. Win-win.

S
steelhead_slayer
i use tore up newspaper and a fridge.

K
kayakkid
they eat mosty everything except dairy and meat. I have a worm garden, be careful with the dirt, you want shredded coconut husk, to start. Don't let it get too heavy You can put lint from the dryer, cut up the thing that holds the eggs. Dont let the bedding get too wet or too dry.

troutdude
troutdude
Lettuce and other garden greens. Most varieties of tree leaves too. They recycle those things back into the earth.

Think cool and damp.

And they love used coffee grounds!

Afterall...the early worm gets the fish; and you don't want their bloodshot eyes staring down that trophy fish do ya? LOL

<but seriously, they really do eat coffee grounds>

P.S. Note to self; start new business selling worms and coffee..................

C
chrisohm
You need aeration, drainage, dirt, newspaper or shredded cardboard. Layer your materials, save any vegetable scraps, coffee grounds with filters, fruit waste, leaves. Make sure to bury your food wastes or else you get unwanted pests. You can use dirt from your backyard but amend it with some kind of mulch. What type of box do you have? Plastic bin or wood? Do not put food waste that has butter, oil or meat fats. Do not put in bones, fat, milk, cheese or other meat objects. You can put egg shells in it. After you start make sure to leave it alone for about two months other than checking moisture and check the deepest part. After your two month wait you can dig through (wood bin) or flip over (plastic). Harvest your largest worms and leave the rest. Pay close attention to egg clusters, little white or gray specks, and place them pack in the bin At this point you can harvest the castings for a good garden amendment and if you do the plastic bin you will have a wonderful liquid fertilizer.

C
chrisohm
troutdude said:
Lettuce and other garden greens. Most varieties of tree leaves too. They recycle those things back into the earth.

Think cool and damp.

And they love used coffee grounds!

Afterall...the early worm gets the fish; and you don't want their bloodshot eyes staring down that trophy fish do ya? LOL

<but seriously, they really do eat coffee grounds>

P.S. Note to self; start new business selling worms and coffee..................

My company does some business with a guy who makes his living off selling worms for a variety of purposes. Zoo food, fishing bait, research, etc. You could seriously make yourself some cash by doing this kind of work! No joke!!