What color for glasses

O
OutdoorsTeen
What color is the best for fishing NW streams? FOr polarized sun glasses

troutdude
troutdude
I've only used green, and they work good. They help you to see into the water.

However, I recently got hep to using yellow for driving. Yellow cuts headlight/sunlight/reflection glare and work well. I'm gonna see <pun intended> how well yellow works for fishing this year.

M
metalfisher76
Yellow or amber. Coal is fine as the day goes on and the sun gets high. The lighter is better in the morning and evenings.

G
GDBrown
Why wear sunglasses

Why wear sunglasses

"Lens Colors

Lens colors play an important role in the performance of your sunglasses. You should choose a color based on the way your eye reacts to it. Different colors can cause different visual sensations in everyone, so choosing your lens color is a very personal decision. To give you a better idea of how each color performs, here are the basic characteristics of each.

Grey is the most popular lens color for general use because you can wear it for simple activities like driving or high-energy outdoor pursuits. Outside colors will remain the truest with grey lenses. Reds will stay red and blues will stay blue. Grey lenses flatten light to help you maintain normal depth perception. Grey lenses are good for everyday, all-purpose wear because they provide true color definition while fighting glare.

Green lenses, like grey lenses, ensure that outside colors remain true. Green lenses also absorb UV rays well.

Brown lenses are especially effective at filtering light in hazy, foggy, or low light conditions. Brown lenses improve depth perception and contrast in various light conditions. These are very popular for skiing, boating, and driving.

Yellow lenses enhance depth perception, although outside colors can be somewhat distorted.

Rose lenses, like brown, effectively filter light and improve contrast (much like a `haze' filter on a camera). Many people consider rose-colored lenses to be the easiest on their eyes over a long period of time.

Some sports-oriented sunglasses have interchangeable lenses. These lenses can be removed from your sunglasses and easily swapped for a different-colored lens to adapt to changes in light conditions or activity."

Note: This is quoted from a web site that sells sunglasses but is good information for understanding what colored lenses do to your vision. The most important thing to remember (especially if you are young) is that UV protection is the most important reason to wear sun glasses. The increase in UV rays coming through our atmosphere is the reason so many of us are having to get cataract surgery in our fifties now:shock:. I'm going in tomorrow for my first one and will have the other eye done in a few weeks.:mad: :wall::protest:

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
metalfisher76 said:
Yellow or amber. Coal is fine as the day goes on and the sun gets high. The lighter is better in the morning and evenings.

I meant to say Amber (not yellow). Thanks MF76

troutdude
troutdude
GD, thanks for sharing that article...very good!

(and not hijack, but I do hope that your surgery goes very well!)

G
GDBrown
Thanks, We'll know by Friday. It's suppose to be the most successful of all surgeries you can have. It's got to be better than dental work!

GD

D
DirectDrive
metalfisher76 said:

Yep, I'm on board with the amber alternative. The pair I use are a "subtle" amber.
They seem to work better in the early AM and evening than grey.
Some grey glasses that I've tried cut out too much light.

A
Anyfishisfine
GDBrown said:
It's suppose to be the most successful of all surgeries you can have. It's got to be better than dental work!

GD

I read somewhere that they were doing cataract surgery way back in Roman times.

W
waco
i really like my amber color glasses!!!! i think are better than gray that i had in the past!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Anyfishisfine said:
I read somewhere that they were doing cataract surgery way back in Roman times.

Count me out

G
GDBrown
RunWithSasquatch said:
Count me out

Not unless you wear those UV lenses every time you go outside! My Dr. said everyone will get them from now on because we have depleted the Ozone layer so much.

It's been done for centuries but not as successfully and now days.