What bit my fish in Happy Camp?

H
halibuthitman
I think you were the victim of a river otter-

Reactions: Markcanby
P
Phil_Bud
Yup thats what we figured. Lucky fish to get away from an otter that was that far into a bite...crazy.

M
mikeredding
I think it was probably an Osprey

P
Phil_Bud
mikeredding said:
I think it was probably an Osprey

Thought about that for bit...I said a talon but...Opreys are migratory; on the Klamath I know anyways. Idk if there even around up there still. Maybe tho...thatnks for your input. Whatever it was osprey, otter, or mink. It was pretty deep into that fish. I figure something had it up on the bank eating it and it jus slipped back in.

T
todd_brooks
I'd have to guess a missed grab from a big bird too. I can't imagine an otter losing a fish once they had a hold of em and I'd think it'd be a bit more chewed up rather than one clean gash. But who's to know.

H
Hawk
Perhaps it was a Great Blue Heron Bro. :lol::lol::lol:

P
Phil_Bud
todd_brooks said:
I'd have to guess a missed grab from a big bird too. I can't imagine an otter losing a fish once they had a hold of em and I'd think it'd be a bit more chewed up rather than one clean gash. But who's to know.
Good point. The only thing was that there was only a mark on one side and a bit of the fish was damaged. I guess we'll never know. Its gotta be one of those things tho. Big gash tho...Caught a lot of fish with pacific lamprey marks on them and it wasn't that.

P
Phil_Bud
Hawk said:
Perhaps it was a Great Blue Heron Bro. :lol::lol::lol:
Might have been. It will forever be a mystery. Until I'm a fisheries Biologist tha is...lol

H
halibuthitman
was that a steel head??? if it was then I can gaurantee that is a tentacle hook gash from a humbolt squid, there sharp enough to make a cut look like a net gash, lot of guys call them gillnet scars but its just were a squid basicly missed.

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane