What are your expectations for a charter fishing trip ?

A
Amberjack
So you book an ocean charter fishing trip, may it me Rockfish, Salmon, Halibut or Tuna?
What are your... expectations of the trip...

C
colbypearson
Amberjack said:
So you book an ocean charter fishing trip, may it me Rockfish, Salmon, Halibut or Tuna?
What are your... expectations of the trip...

idk the charter boats i went on sucked, they didn't even know how to use electronics when we were fishing for rockfish............. so i dont expect much besides some $$$ out of pocket a few fish and a good time, i have always been a fan of doing things my way anyways.

C
capblack
when i go fishing in the ocean, i expect to overdose on dramamine, and drink lots of ginger ale. I laugh at the people who bring coolers full of beer, and then get sick and dont even drink any beer. I have been on a couple and the crews were knowledgable, and we got into some bottom fish. Im with colby though, its not my cup of tea, to have someone bait a rod, and hand it to you, then you reel the fish in, and they take it from there, handing you a new baited pole. its ok every once in a while, but id rather spend my money elsewhere. Brian

C
colbypearson
capblack said:
when i go fishing in the ocean, i expect to overdose on dramamine, and drink lots of ginger ale. I laugh at the people who bring coolers full of beer, and then get sick and dont even drink any beer. I have been on a couple and the crews were knowledgable, and we got into some bottom fish. Im with colby though, its not my cup of tea, to have someone bait a rod, and hand it to you, then you reel the fish in, and they take it from there, handing you a new baited pole. its ok every once in a while, but id rather spend my money elsewhere. Brian

i feel more gratified off a jetti personally if i fish the ocean atleast i like the feeling of knowing nothing about it and being able to apply some of my bass fishing know how on the salt water species its fun!

cod.jpgcod-2.jpg

little guy caught on a 5" kalins grub 3/8oz lead jighead on a 7'mh bass rod :) just like i was bass fishing!

B
BobbiDollPDX
When I go on a charter, I expect to have a great time. Yeah, I want to get into the fish but if I have a really good time, I'll book again even if the fishing wasn't on fire.

Which would be why I used the same charter for my last 6 or 7 trips (in the last year and a half).

With regards to being handed a baited rod...I've never been on a charter where you weren't welcome to bring your own gear... granted when trolling for tuna, all of the lines are being pulled off the back of the boat, but as soon as someone hooks up and you have helped bring in the other lines, you are usually welcome to grab some light gear and start casting off the bow and trust me, bringing in an albacore on light gear is something you won't forget.

Bottom fishing, you are manning your own rod (or one supplied by the charter) the whole time.

Halibut is a bit different, when I went I landed the first one but kept fishing and handing them off. Out of 9 fish on the boat, I hooked 3 of them, the deckhand hooked 4 of them and 2 other passengers hooked up. Sometimes someone just has the hot rod and when your limit is 1, you keep fishing for everyone else.

T
Thuggin4Life
BobbiDollPDX said:
When I go on a charter, I expect to have a great time. Yeah, I want to get into the fish but if I have a really good time, I'll book again even if the fishing wasn't on fire.

Which would be why I used the same charter for my last 6 or 7 trips (in the last year and a half).

With regards to being handed a baited rod...I've never been on a charter where you weren't welcome to bring your own gear... granted when trolling for tuna, all of the lines are being pulled off the back of the boat, but as soon as someone hooks up and you have helped bring in the other lines, you are usually welcome to grab some light gear and start casting off the bow and trust me, bringing in an albacore on light gear is something you won't forget.

Bottom fishing, you are manning your own rod (or one supplied by the charter) the whole time.

Halibut is a bit different, when I went I landed the first one but kept fishing and handing them off. Out of 9 fish on the boat, I hooked 3 of them, the deckhand hooked 4 of them and 2 other passengers hooked up. Sometimes someone just has the hot rod and when your limit is 1, you keep fishing for everyone else.

Is that legal? when fishing and someone filsl a limit thats one rod that doesn't go back out? never been halibut fishing since i was a kid in alaska so not sure if there are special regs or not.

as for a charter expect a good time and to catch fish. if its not then don't book with them again. and since you ask about ocean fishing expect to see people getting sick.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
Strike zone charter of winchesterbay are really good! They have been fishing winchesterbay and the ocean for over 45+ years and definetly know what they are doing! Scott Hatcher of strike zone charters is a really good and knolegible guide...sorry for miss spelling lol. He definetly knows what he is doing and will definetly get you into fish! I booked a salmon guided trip with him over the summer and it was (me, my friend, another guy) he limited us out in 3 hours! with me and my friend getting out 2, some nice 10 pound coho for me, and some nice 20 pounders for my friend, and a 30 pounder+ easy plus a 20 pounder and a jack salmon for the other guy.

Also we hooked about 6 more out on the ocean but they did not stick. I recomend him for you, as he does (tuna, bottom fish, salmon/steel) If you want his number, send me a PM and i can hand his number over to you. i really recomend him.

oh and... we had a really good and fun time on the water with lots of laughs and jokes.
BY THE WAY, after a few times of him setting gear and showing us how to set it, he let us set out own poles to the depth and fix the depth as we trolled along, he just baited and guided the boat. He got my friend into a 50 pounder+ easy but he let slack in the line at the surface and lost it.

after that trip my family and i took the boat back out to the umqua where they are located, we ran into him while he had 4 guests on the boat that day/morning i asked him how they were doing and he said they got 1 limit so far, we ran into him again at the end of the day and he said he limited everyone out again. I emailed him not too long ago and asked how he did this season for fall nooks/hoes, he said he limited out everyone of his clients this year. just a heads up.

Last edited:
A
Amberjack
At least some of you understood the question..LOL The charter service I have been affiliated with, loves to have folks come on board and use their own gear and techniques. I can say this; if you are EXPECTING to catch fish... nope, not going to be a wide open bite on every trip... nature of fishing. If you are planning to "Stock Up, Fill the freezer" save your money and go buy the fish.. yes there are those trips when it goes WFO, but 90% of the time it's sportfishing.

the charter boats i went on sucked, they didn't even know how to use electronics when we were fishing for rockfish............. so i dont expect much besides some $$$ out of pocket a few fish and a good time, i have always been a fan of doing things my way anyways.

On most charter boats the electronics are located in the wheelhouse. Passengers are not allowed into the wheelhouse due to saftey reasons. Even though "arches" are showing up on the graph, does not mean they are going to bite. I find this true on my own personal bass boat.

Im with colby though, its not my cup of tea, to have someone bait a rod, and hand it to you, then you reel the fish in, and they take it from there, handing you a new baited pole. its ok every once in a while, but id rather spend my money elsewhere. Brian

This is what I expect out of a deckhand. It is customer service. We have many folks on the boats that are new. They have no clue about fishing the ocean, or this is their first time ever fishing. I love when an experienced angler is on board. I don't have to worry about her/him. I often will take time to talk with them to gain knowledge and share knowledge.

i feel more gratified off a jetti personally if i fish the ocean atleast i like the feeling of knowing nothing about it and being able to apply some of my bass fishing know how on the salt water species its fun!

Thats fine if you are into catching a smaller grade of fish (tramps). Go out further, and get the supermodels

I fished with Bobbi this past year. She is an excellant angler.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
i understood the question to, my expectation is to have a good time on the water weather or not you get into fish, and just to have a lot of laughs and fun. i just thought i would throw that out there for anyone who was interested.

C
colbypearson
rippin fish lips said:
i understood the question to, my expectation is to have a good time on the water weather or not you get into fish, and just to have a lot of laughs and fun. i just thought i would throw that out there for anyone who was interested.

i agree, but we can all have a good time on the water without paying big bucks, im not saying whatsoever guides need to be the magic ticket every trip and have a spectacular day....... but if you cannot consistently do above average on the waters you guide on you shouldnt be a guide... i realize theres tough days and every one has theyre tough days, but whats the point of bieng a guide if you cannot consistently out produce locals, general anglers and even other guides on occasion, am i right? im sure most of us dont go to a guide for the first time becuase we hear hes nice, but not that good of a fisherman.

thus, is it wrong to have higher than average expectations when partaking in a guided fishing trip? i would say it is perferctly acceptable to expect more than average on a guided trip, and if you cannot supply that you shouldnt be a commercial guide. correct me if im wrong, maybe im being a little hard, but if you slip up on a guided trip and have an unhappy client, you should offer them a make up trip on a better day free of charge.

thats my .02 im probubly harder to please than the rest of you but if you gonna be called a commercial guide and can't supply the goods or atleast make up for it get a new job.

R
rippin fish lips
colbypearson said:
i agree, but we can all have a good time on the water without paying big bucks, im not saying whatsoever guides need to be the magic ticket every trip and have a spectacular day....... but if you cannot consistently do above average on the waters you guide on you shouldnt be a guide... i realize theres tough days and every one has theyre tough days, but whats the point of bieng a guide if you cannot consistently out produce locals, general anglers and even other guides on occasion, am i right? im sure most of us dont go to a guide for the first time becuase we hear hes nice, but not that good of a fisherman.

thus, is it wrong to have higher than average expectations when partaking in a guided fishing trip? i would say it is perferctly acceptable to expect more than average on a guided trip, and if you cannot supply that you shouldnt be a commercial guide. correct me if im wrong, maybe im being a little hard, but if you slip up on a guided trip and have an unhappy client, you should offer them a make up trip on a better day free of charge.

thats my .02 im probubly harder to please than the rest of you but if you gonna be called a commercial guide and can't supply the goods or atleast make up for it get a new job.

no you are right. and i agree with everything that is said in this. Say if your having a hard time gettin into fish, buying a trip with a good guide is a good idea, as you will learn a lot and may be successfull your next trip out on your own. I my family and friends have been trolling for salmon for the past 3 years and we were unsuccesful so i booked a trip with a guide to see what type of riggings they use and how they fish them. It sure did help me out, as we went out the next week after and i put our first 3 salmon in the boat after 3 years of being unsuccessfull. But yes you dont always have to buy a trip to learn and to help you get into a fish, just my 2 cents for ppl that may be having trouble and want to be successfull, it's just another TIP out on the streets.

A
Amberjack
Very interesting comments. So what I am hearing .. If you hire a Guide/Charter YOU expect to catch fish. Is that correct?

And if you don't you want your money back... Is that correct?

Wow !!! could you two; Colby and Rippin Fish Lips please.. and I beg you to let me know how or what to do to insure that catching fish on every trip will occur? I will even pay someone for this guarantee.

Try a two day tuna trip with 18 passengers and only 2 fish caught the entire trip. One was caught by me. The deckhands put on seminars during the trip. Captain came down numerous times and apologized and told us that we were the only boat that had any fish at all. My father and I had been on this boat over the last 15 years, knew the Captain and knew the crew. Funny thing is.. no asked for a refund and my freind Scotty the deckhand told me later the tips were very good.

It's not called catching it's called fishing....

C
colbypearson
Amberjack said:
Very interesting comments. So what I am hearing .. If you hire a Guide/Charter YOU expect to catch fish. Is that correct?

And if you don't you want your money back... Is that correct?

Wow !!! could you two; Colby and Rippin Fish Lips please.. and I beg you to let me know how or what to do to insure that catching fish on every trip will occur? I will even pay someone for this guarantee.

Try a two day tuna trip with 18 passengers and only 2 fish caught the entire trip. One was caught by me. The deckhands put on seminars during the trip. Captain came down numerous times and apologized and told us that we were the only boat that had any fish at all. My father and I had been on this boat over the last 15 years, knew the Captain and knew the crew. Funny thing is.. no asked for a refund and my freind Scotty the deckhand told me later the tips were very good.

It's not called catching it's called fishing....

if you can only manage 2 fish then only take out 2 anglers, im harsh i know..... but thats just my opinion

"Captain came down numerous times and apologized and told us that we were the only boat that had any fish at all."-Amberjack

atleast you got the better than average part down haha, im just saying if you can't produce dont guide, if your not what you would consider a local pro on your waters dont choose that career path, not saying your not.... everyone has theyre tough days and its hard to predict but i think in a high risk fishing such as saltwater tuna,marlin etc... should be more exclusive and obviously have different standards, and i realize you really can't give 18 passangersmre-do's on the guide trip, but.... i stand by my original post for the most part other than fishing such as big game sport fishing in saltwater has its own standards, but i do think if the fishing has sucked! dont take out a large number of people take what you think you can supply and if you can't supply offer to fix it ;) if that makes sense

Last edited:
A
Amberjack
colbypearson said:
if you can only manage 2 fish then only take out 2 anglers, im harsh i know..... but thats just my opinion

Please elaborate more, your harsh opinions interest me.

B
bigsteel
But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might want to think about buying a quality product from me. tommy boy

C
colbypearson
Amberjack said:
Please elaborate more, your harsh opinions interest me.

its my opinion straight across the board if you can only supply a certain amount of fish take about that amount of people dont fill the boat, not saying your like some fishing prophet and i realize all the costs of running a boat is a lot..... but if the fishing is tough why take out a full boat? if its money your worried about get another job, im not speaking directly to you amberjack but in general i dont feel its right to take a full boat when you know that you can't fill it with fish, am i right if anyone thinks im wrong here let me know? but take the amount of people you can satisfy.....

so pretty much i would adjust on the conditions at hand get good at knowing your fish and how they work, not saying its easy.... study weather patterns, fish migratory patters, study the bait that the fish key in on and make it happen so when its tough you can still catch a good amount of fish, listen everyone has a tough day but try to narrow the chances of a bad day so the possibilities are slim... if its tough only take out a smaller amount of anglers, its its on fire and the fish are practically jumpin in the boat adjust accordingly! theres no way to know a day before it happens this i know but if you base it off statistics then adjust based off of them i think it would be better for the people going on the trip as well as the guide, i see you have to have a minum amount of income per trip but to me its immoral to take out 18 anglers when you know its been tough and most guys have been blaking, am i wrong?

colby's perfect world guided fishing strategy^^^^^^^^^ :lol::lol::lol::think:

if your only in it for the money..........well then i wont go into detail maybe post it on your guide pamphlet and site "in it for the money dont expect much" because when i want a guide i want somone who can adjust and perservere all year some one skilled and aware of the current conditions, a angler that can adjust and succeed, what ever happened to there plenty of fish in the sea? just gotta know how to get them at any given time, then call yourself a guide.....again no offense meant to anyone but its a sore topic, and all i think is take the amount of anglers you can please on a guided trip.

Last edited:
A
Amberjack
bigsteel said:
But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might want to think about buying a quality product from me. tommy boy

Well looks like this thread is done... All I asked for ORIGINALLY was an expectation of a charter fishing trip.

I guess I am wrong Colby, 41 years of fishing the saltwater has taught me nothing. My apologies. I guess one day when the tuna are hitting WFO and the next day you can't buy a bite, it is all the Captains fault.. IIWII

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Amberjack said:
Well looks like this thread is done... All I asked for ORIGINALLY was an expectation of a charter fishing trip.

I guess I am wrong Colby, 41 years of fishing the saltwater has taught me nothing. My apologies. I guess one day when the tuna are hitting WFO and the next day you can't buy a bite, it is all the Captains fault.. IIWII
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

C
colbypearson
Amberjack said:

its my opinion ;)

im no guide so dont go off my word......its a business unfortunately i suppose, no offense meant just my .002

Last edited:
B
BobbiDollPDX
It sounds to me like people are confusing the question of "What do you expect from a charter" with "What don't you like from a charter".

If you don't like to charter trips, then you probably don't expect much so this post wouldn't really apply unless you just like to complain.