What are the good and bad things about living in Oregon?

Admin
Admin
What do you say?

S
Snopro
GOOD
I can ride lift accessed skiing in the morning. Get in a little windsurfing on the Columbia. Hit the coast for some ling and rock fish out of the kayak. Do a little surfing in the evening. All on the same day.......in July.

A juxtaposition of accessible sports timing unique to Oregon.

BAD
Portland has gone from my favorite city to something out of a parallel universe. Really sad

People moving to the state who don't respect the outdoors and can't drive in snow.

Reactions: bass and Admin
bass
bass
Snopro said:
BAD
Portland has gone from my favorite city to something out of a parallel universe. Really sad

People moving to the state who don't respect the outdoors and can't drive in snow.

Not everyone is a Snow pro @Snopro :)

As @Snopro said, Oregon has an insane amount of outdoor activities readily available even if some of them are getting to be a bit more crowded. The climate is quite agreeable and I can fish out of my kayak every month of the year in Oregon. It is rare when conditions are bad enough for me not to be able to get out. In the summer I fish for bass, in the winter I fish for sturgeon and kokanee and you can catch surf perch year round.

I don't fish for salmon or steelhead since I don't like crowds but I hear there is some of that available as well :)

My family is not a winter sports family but we enjoy going to the coast at any time of the year. We have wetsuits and my daughter surfs and the rest of us boogie board pretty much year round (unless it is too rough). The ocean temp in the winter is not too different from the summer (good for winter cold for summer).

Oregon is a beautiful state with tons of waterfalls and forests to explore and as @fromthelogo said it is all easily accessible from anywhere in or around the city. No matter where you live in the state, even in the middle of Portland, you can get to the great outdoors in 15-20 minutes.

Reactions: Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
The good is its geographic diversity. Trout fishing in the Steens Mountain area or fishing on the saltwater coast, hitting the Cascade Lakes, or venturing to Hells Canyon and the Wallowa area.

The bad is that the population has gone from 305,000 in 1940 to 4.24 million in 2021. Oregon was a great place to be a young kid in the in the 1950s and 60s. Lots of outdoor activities without the crowds. It is not that way now. Best be getting your camping reservation in order, along with your wilderness pass and your snow park permit. Oregon has been discovered.

Reactions: Raincatcher and Admin
G
Gulfstream
where I live ,no traffic, noise great fishing for what ever you want within an hour mushrooms ,berries beaches .Only complaint is I am at least 3 hours from any ski area

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Good- The Oregon part, what’s left of it.

Bad- The people. Rudest bunch I’ve ever encountered. Racism runs amok, tweakers everywhere, poverty resulting from all the eggs being put in one basket, and hipsters drawn like steel filings to a magnet.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but it’s only because I’m cynical.

Reactions: LazyBrewer, O. mykiss and Admin
brandon4455
brandon4455
Good: the outdoors, fish, wildlife, amazing scenery.

The bad: politics, cost of living, being one of the most moved to states.
As previously stated, many moving here and not respecting the resources we have. Everything is extremely crowded now and nothing is sacred anymore.

P
pcstock
This is a mighty unpopular opinion here but I find ZERO cons that I have a major issue with. I certainly do not see any cons are being worth moving or even considering it. Every single place in the world has cons. I live and work in Portland.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon and Admin
S
Snopro
pcstock said:
This is a mighty unpopular opinion here but I find ZERO cons that I have a major issue with.
I wouldn't say unpopular. Short sighted maybe. Moving wasn't part of the question. Just pros and cons. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I'm suprised you can't see any issues, particularly where you live and work.

Saying every place has cons is a cop out. Oregon can be better. That's one of the reason why we live here. I'm curious, how long have you been an Oregonian? If you're new to a situation you might not realize how good it used to be.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
The Good - Oregon is beautiful and has a very diverse landscape. With a ton of outdoor opportunities to fit just about anyone's fancy. I really enjoy the community that I live in and how close I am to almost anything I would want to do. My local river system, the Umpqua, has something running at just about any day of the year. I really like the amount of outdoor related outreach that is done in Oregon. Both by ODFW and general community partners.

The Bad - Taxes and general state politics. I also feel that our DFW doesn't manage based on input from the local biologist and branches, but instead relies on the opinion of lobbyists and whoever is screaming the loudest. I think they are to slow to react to problems with our fisheries, or game management in general, and I don't think they support our local offices enough. They are more concerned with tag sales than the state of our wildlife.

Reactions: NKlamerus, Casting Call and Admin
P
pcstock
I’ve lived here for 29 years. Sure things can always get better. Anywhere.

I honestly do not have a gripe to air, or at least one that is worth spending time complaining about.

It cracks me up when people talk about times 30-40- even 60 years ago and complain that it isn’t as wonderful any longer.

I’ve lived in NY, CT, PA (twice) MD, CO, OR. I’ve lived in cities, suburbs, and rural places. There are problems everywhere. Times change, turn the page.

Nowhere I’ve lived has the list of PROs as Oregon does.

Reactions: LazyBrewer, Admin, Shaun Solomon and 1 other person
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
It sure is pretty here. I’m not exactly a people person anyway, so “it’s pretty here” goes a long way with me.

And actually, upon further reflection, Seattle is ruder.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Haven't seen anyone complaining in this thread. Just stating facts. Lived in this state over 72 years, not planning on leaving. Be nice to see the spirit of keeping Oregon Green and Clean and open to the public have a resurgence. That's not a complaint but a wish for the future so that my grandkids may enjoy the natural beauties of our Pacific Wonderland.

Have travel extensively as a sailor on merchant ships. Never did I find a more glorious site as crossing the Columbia River Bar and making the run upriver to Portland. Never did I find a foreign county to match what Oregon has to offer. The only thing that can destroy Oregon's natural gifts is compliancy.

Last edited:
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Fishing is great-all sorts of options for salmonids, warm water species, sturgeon, you name it. It makes for a good variety. However, if you don't like strange people, wet weather, politics, or all three, I do not recommend moving over.

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
I am one of those transplants that you guys are talking about. I have lived in Miami, Florida my whole life outside of my time in the Navy. I have only lived here for about 5 years now. I would say that Oregon has unmatched beauty compared to any other State. You can be in a dense forest and an hour later in the Desert. I have learned and love the outdoor lifestyle, i hike at least once a week.

Con: I am not a fan of the fishing. Coming from such good fishing to having to work so hard for a bite. It is probably a mixture of poor runs and the fact that i am still learning the techniques. Also I am not a fan of the taste of Salmon and Steelhead unless it is smoked. I would rather eat Ling and Halibut all day.

I would say outside of the homeless population, i have no real complaint about Oregon. I have never seen a homeless problem like this before and I have been in many downtowns and cities.

Reactions: Snopro, Shaun Solomon and Admin
Diehard
Diehard
Love the fishing when I have the time and when You get just a few miles outside of portland in pretty much any direction things really dont seam as bad less garbage less thieves less filth I dont really have to deal with the chaos that is portland so other than overcrowding on most outdoor recreation and the way the state is being poorly managed I have no complaints my 2cents

Reactions: Casting Call and Admin
Casting Call
Casting Call
I'll pay the price to live in such beautiful and bountiful state. There is no other place like some of you described. Sun, sand, coconut juice, a body can take so much of that. What really fills the Soul is what Oregon has to OFFer. Whatever choice you pick, pros or cons Oregon does not half step to fill the SOUL. Tony

jamisonace
jamisonace
Having been born and raised in OR with a strong sentiment of state pride, I was convinced as a youth that Oregon was the greatest land in all the world. It never crossed my mind that there could be any river prettier than the North Umpqua or any mountain more majestic than The Three Sisters. Then I moved to Italy, then Hawaii, Utah, Alaska and Wyoming before returning to my home waters. What I realized is that everywhere I went has it's own beauty and admirable qualities. The Adriatic beaches of Southern Italy, the giant waves crashing on lava flows on the North Shore of Oahu, the Northern lights directly overhead in Alaska, national parks of Southern Utah, the painted badlands in Wyoming: these are all amazing. Oregon stands tall next to all of the places I've been.

I appreciate the diversity of Oregon's geography but I've always loved Oregon's water. I don't think Oregon has the best fishing but I don't need a fish every cast or even every day. Just give me a chance with an occasional hook set and I'll keep coming back. I really love the people of Southern Oregon. It is rare to interact with someone disagreeable (in real life, not counting internet forums LOL). The third thing I appreciate about Oregon is the temperate climate.....until last summer anyway. I'd say at least 8 or 9 months of the year are just about right.

Here is an abbreviated list of things I don't like:
Fog
Liberal politics
Portland, Salem and Eugene
35 degree rain
Oregon Ducks
Everything ODFW does
Hwy 101 in August

Reactions: TheKnigit, Admin, brandon4455 and 1 other person
S
shiverfix
I'm a 4th generation Colorado native who has lived here for a just about a year and a half. I do have deep roots in the Pacific Northwest, and spent most summers with my grandparents up on Pender Island in BC, and have ancestry in Oregon and Washington. My wife was born and raised in Klamath, so this was coming home for her (sort of, she didn't spend much time in Portland). It was a stressful move for many reasons, and just before winter in the middle of a pandemic, so it was a tough beginning. We didn't really get to spend much time enjoying what Portland and Oregon are known for, like being outdoors or the great food. Plus we were both having to work a lot of hours. But this last summer we were able to get out and start exploring more.

I love the water, but was a little disappointed that there wasn't a lot of boating close to Portland other than the rivers. So far the Columbia has tried to kill us twice. Ok, that is hyperbole, but I've spent a lot of time on the water, and learning to navigate the Columbia is a whole new experience. Going to spend the late winter and early spring trying to learn sturgeon fishing on the Willamette.

Even though the coast is an hour an half away at best, that is still 1200 miles closer than it used to be! I love being able to take a day at the coast.

So far I can't shake the Oregon curse when it comes to fishing, but I am excited to get it figured out, because there are so many opportunities. The idea of catching a fish where 4 feet is a small one is amazing! Plus salmon, smallmouth, walleye, and steelhead all available in the rivers, and kokes a couple hours away. And that doesn't even count salt water.

I'm disappointed in the trash in Portland. And not even the homeless, just the amount of trash that gets dumped. There is a strip mall between me and my work that has had two boats dumped in the parking lot. The first one took less than a week to get filled up with bags of trash other people started throwing in it. I've seen toilets dumped on the side of the road, my wife had an old hot tub dumped in her work's parking lot.

The homeless make me sad, I think it is terrible people are in that position, regardless of circumstance. And it does make it difficult to enjoy going downtown with the amount of tents and camps. But Denver is starting to get bad too, it's not just an Oregon or west coast problem.

This summer I hope to spend a lot more time exploring the outdoors, and more time fishing. Oregon is very beautiful, and has so many different options to explore.

Reactions: pcstock
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Oregon is an unfortunate object lesson for why you don’t put all your economic eggs in one basket. Particularly if your economy is rooted in extractive industry. Russia is another. Fortunately, Oregon does not have nuclear weapons.

I’m new here too, also by way of Colorado. There is no love here for anything with stabby fins. They are widespread, abundant, and largely ignored. The bass fishing here is outstanding, people have no idea. Ten times as good as Colorado. There are spotted bass here, if you care. The walleye are more or less confined to the Columbia, with a few minor exceptions. There are no pike, tigers or muskie. One (1) pond in the state has wipers. There are anadromous stripers in a few rivers.

Inshore salt is fun, productive and inexpensive to book for day trips, for example out of Depot. Book a crab combo day for bottomfish and fill your freezer. Crabbing is good. I’m the worst example of a clam digger in history, but yeah. Clams.

It is wall-to-wall STS here buddy. Either people actually fish for them, or just identify with the brand, like folks born into an affiliation with a sports team. Hating spiny rays is baked in to the pudding here, but there are a few mouth-breathing degenerates such as myself who pursue them.

You are either young or were on a different forum than me. I was Swimbait on CF, never had a profile on Fx. I did the Carpe Trutta blog for a while.

Don’t hesitate to give me shout if the spirit moves you.

Cheers.

Reactions: shiverfix