What are on these fish?

O

oy23

Have never really gotten an explanation as to what are on these fish. Emailed ODFW but never got a reply. Fish hanging was at North Fork, one in hand was from Timothy. Any information you could give me would be appreciated.

Last edited:
O

oy23

Ok. Pics may be working now. I've seen the red sores you are talking about too. Not sure about those either. But I didn't take a picture of those.

O

osmosis

lowe pic: Those parasites are on a ton of trout that I've seen for years. mostly on the fins just like in that lower picture. and only on trout in lakes/ponds from my experience.
cook them to 160/165 degrees like your supposed to with any fresh water fish and they will all be dead if there are any in the meat.

I can't tell whats wrong in that upper picture, but it looks a lot worse than any of the parasite infestations I have seen (if that is what it is). I would keep emailing ODFW and attaching the pics to the email until you get a response.
I know I wouldnt eat the fish in the upper pic, but the lower one is no big deal.

H

halibuthitman

these are parisites that are caused by hatchery trout, when the fish are transplanted into warm lakes the parasite comes out of hibernation and infects all the fish in the body of water, they are not harmful to humans. they will remain on the fish in the lake until cooler fall weather sets in. MYXOSPORIDIAN ( PROTOZOAN) is the technical name and is a prevelant infection among hatchery fish in california and oregon

Last edited:
D

doublestrike

Take a stiff bristle bush to the cleaning station with you, and use it to de-scale the fish and they will all come off and then cook them as usual.

M

Mad dog

They are called copepods, are very common parasite in Oregon, the Klamath basin watershed is loaded with them.

H

halibuthitman

they are copepods.... in the class of Maxillopoda, which has close to 13000 members, a copepod is a classification of a parasite or a micro crustacean, like zooplankton or some krill..... these little critters have about 4 technical names, the main thing is they are harmless to humans if properly cooked:)

Chromatose

Chromatose

Just a little bit more protein...................:lol:

C

Cake

Kill and eat, kill and eat, it's the way of the buckethead.

H

halibuthitman

yeah, pretty much why Im insisting my wife breastfeed.... want my kid to appreciate wild food.... I can just picture cup-cake chasing a cow, roping it, letting it go again and over and over and over...... you know a cow caught and released is a gift to another cowpoke.... probably goes to safeway and just stares at the steaks!!!:shock:

O

oy23

Thanks for the info. I appreciate you all takin the time to fill me in. Anybody know what the red raised sores on the side of some of the trout are. Pulled about 4 out of Timothy so far this year with them.

J

JeannaJigs

This is my nastified fish....ODFW never told me what it was either...they're good at avoidance me thinks.
Troutcancer.jpg

H

Hooked on fishin'

This is my nastified fish....ODFW never told me what it was either...they're good at avoidance me thinks.

I saw one that had that at the Leaburg hatchery viewing pond, only its whole head was covered!! It looked like it was wearing a mask...this was a huge brooder too, easily 24 inches, acting normally just hideously deformed:(

Attachments

• Troutcancer.jpg
    Troutcancer.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 15
J

JeannaJigs

I saw one that had that at the Leaburg hatchery viewing pond, only its whole head was covered!! It looked like it was wearing a mask...this was a huge brooder too, easily 24 inches, acting normally just hideously deformed:(

This one came from the leaburg hatchery, likely, as I caught it in Carmen, so perhaps you saw it's mama lol. It was nasty, but I figured it didn't need to be sharing that nastyness with wild fish, so bonked it. My dad was with me on that trip...and he actually ate it...I wasn't willing to go that far lol. It was a beautiful fish otherwise, it had very vibrant red coloring and large spots...it just had what i dubbed, Trout cancer, though I think it's just a parasite, orrrr...something....who knows lol.