What about Hells Canyon?

H
hgordon4
Has anyone fished below Hells Canyon Damn this fall? I'm planning on coming back home (Eastern Oregon) in December, and I wonder if its worth the drive down there to visit some of those slim steelies.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Just wanted to welcome you to off, I don't have any advice for the water in question; but one of our members will I am sure. Once you back in the Springfield/Eugene area I would be happy to hook you up with some of our local hot spots. Have a safe drive and hopefully tight lines...:dance:

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
Different friends of mine have been going the last several weekends. 2 weekends ago (1-2 Nov) they didn't catch a thing. Last weekend (8-9 Nov) they caught several.

They've got the water below the dam currently running at 9000 CFS due to the salmon spawn somewhere. This is a perfect time to be fishing from the shore (8500-11000 cfs is best).

I may be heading down this coming weekend and I'll post the outcome if I do.

hope this helped

H
hgordon4
Thanks for the information, that link may save me some time and money.

Have a good trip.

Troutski
Troutski
Flow...

Flow...

"I always check this link for the current water flow and the forcasted water flow. quote:joesnuffy"

Funny, I thought I was the only one who paid attention to these things. Over the years I have put together a graph with the best and worst times to fish our rivers and streams by flow. Even went as far as to chart the local res. and put together a graph on our best and worst times on them...sure makes it easier to choose the right body of water to spend our limited amount of time on. I don't feel so anal now....thanks...:cool:

J
joesnuffy
I always look before I'm headed out. Part of the reason is that it takes 2hrs, 1 way, to get to Hells canyon from here. That's a long way to go to find out that they are letting out double the water of what is considered fishable.

H
hgordon4
Bad Weather

Bad Weather

Fished Hells Canyon about two weekends ago and ended up wussing out due to the bad weather.

The conditions are brutal! Driving down there is a hairy task, and keeping the ice off your guides and hands makes the fishing difficult. I noticed the temperature gauge averaged 13 degrees Farenheit around 11:00am. The wind also plays a crucial role in the locations' brutality, so If your a polar bear and don't mind getting numb hands, drift fishing off the banks can produce fair results.

I only fished for about an hour and a half, but during that time period I found that the steelhead are biting, as long as you don't mind the harsh conditions.

If anyone fishes down there this weekend, please reply and let me know how you did.