Whale Wars - What the heck?

S

Swamp Puppy

Ok, so i have been aware of this show for a long time. I understand the premise and all that. However, i found myself with a few minutes to kill and nothing on TV. I watched most of one episode and had to think to myself, "what the heck are they doing?"

I get the whole anti-whaling thing...and i won't debate the particulars of that. I also understand that some (all) of their actions could be considered hazardous to shipping in general, regardless of what that ship's purpose may be.

Here is the thing that i didn't get... They were harrassing a processing vessle as the harpoon ships came in to offload their dead whales. When a ship would successfully make an offload/transfer, the greenies would get all sad and bemoan the demise of the whale.

ummm...the whale was already dead. Nothing they were doing was preventing whales from being killed. Their goal seemed to be to keep the dead whale from getting to the process ship in hopes that it would decompose to the point of being useless to the whalers...thus making them go out and kill ANOTHER whale in order to replace the one that got wasted.

additionally, they were tossing bottles of some sort of acid on deck to hopefully ruin the whale meat so they would have to toss it over...again, wasting a whale that was already dead and forcing the whalers to continue on to do whatever they needed to do to get what they were after.

I won't say i condone their actions..nor condemn them for their convictions. just seems to me that the better use of their time would be to try to stop the whales from being killed in the first place.

:think:

*rant concluded*

T

Thuggin4Life

I just recently watched it and seen a marathon or somethingthat had been on for a few days and caught several of the eposodes leading up to them heading back from port. From what i understand the japanesse whaling fleet has found a legal loopwhole to sluaghter whales for "scentific" purposes and still make a huge profit of of the by products so that the whales aren't wasted in the search for "scientific" answers. I think that there are strick regs on the whaling because of the diminishing populations so that means no whale stuff to sell so by getting them for studies and still being able to sell the meat they think they are being ssneeking and somepeople are on to them. it would be like ok you can c and r salmon but can't keep them unless the are bleeders. everyone would abuse this to get meat. I understand the need for studies but what are they studying if the whales are just processed. I could understand the need to discect one from time to time but to sell every sellable part what is left for study? And from what i have seen the japanesse are being dangerous with there boats as well but the sea sheperd deffinantly is doing some risking boating out on the high seas. in one episode the ram a harpoon ship and cause signifigant damage to the own vessel. and from what i understand the raming is under investigation or was not sure when the episode was filmed. the are simply trying to make it nonprofitable for these guys to go get whale parts for "research" so by ruining the meat of a dead whale yes its dead already but if its unsellable then they are only getting the "scientific" parts of the whale with in reality isn't why they are there and hurts there wallet. I don't agree with this legal loophole but don't condone the actions of the other party but at least they care about something enough to try to make a difference but on the other hand the get so sad its pathetic. dead is dead.

S

Swamp Puppy

Thug - i only saw the one epispode, but i did catch the part about them using the whales for "scientific research" ... *cough* BS *cough* *cough*

at any rate, without debating the pro's and con's of whaling or taking a particular stance on this..it just seemed to me that a better use of their efforts would have been to attempt to stop the whales from being killed in the first place. I am sure that if i was a regular viewer i would have a better understanding of their methods....just seemed a bit misplaced to me.

At the point the whale is dead..i would think that would be the end of the battle. whale dead. darn. ok, they got that one...let's try to stop them from getting another.

H

halibuthitman

oooooh oooh sell me a whaling permit! Pleeeease I will pay whatever you ask for it!!! there are tons of whales! I want a piece of the action! I also considered getting an old navy minesweeper like the wild goose( the dukes private yacht ) and contracting with the japanese to run deversion on these punks... international waters babey! Bring it on Bob Barker you punk animal ball cutting jerk!! I want in!!!

D

dude young

I love this show like I love a train wreck on the news. You gotta watch to see what these psycos are going to do next. I mean, these nut jobs are cruising the Antarctic Seas, in an un-reinforced hull, chasing harpoon ships with a couple of Zodiacs and some stink bombs.

While I don't approve or support these sprout crunchers, I have to give them a wide berth to do what they do. It is akin to the NRA. I don't feel the need to own and shoot fully auto M16's or Tommy guns. But as long as someone does, the NRA will fight for their rights and mine to own a shot gun or hunting rifle. Bottom line, we need a few extremists in order for us to continue to live our comfortably mediocre lives.

Not to mention the fact that 90% of the guys on these whaling vessels are just average-joe working stiffs that have mouths to feed and this is probably the same to them as crabbing is in Alaska. High risk, high reward. Could you imagine what would happen if some Japanese zero started stink-bomb-strafing the Northwestern or the Time Bandit!?

So, FIGHT ON! Sea Shepards. Even if I may enjoy watching your demise some day.

T

Thuggin4Life

Yeah i just seen a few its hard to type how you really feal and what you really mean. but yeah never seen any anti harpponing just OH NO THEY HAVE ANOTHER WHALE! I do understand why they are trying to stop them from getting the meat to market though. i do also have to give it to the japanese for finding this million dollar loophole. and yeas these guys are nuts to do what they do. I even looked up the icrwhale.com or whatever that was on the back of the factory ship just to try to get a grasp on all this. it makes for good tv other than the whining and crying. I couldn't belive it when the efed up the own ship though. you wont find me ramming anyone out on the water anytime soon other than the accasionaly sneeky stick/log.

D

dude young

Thug - i only saw the one epispode, but i did catch the part about them using the whales for "scientific research" ... *cough* BS *cough* *cough*

at any rate, without debating the pro's and con's of whaling or taking a particular stance on this..it just seemed to me that a better use of their efforts would have been to attempt to stop the whales from being killed in the first place. I am sure that if i was a regular viewer i would have a better understanding of their methods....just seemed a bit misplaced to me.

At the point the whale is dead..i would think that would be the end of the battle. whale dead. darn. ok, they got that one...let's try to stop them from getting another.

I think (not sure) that their permits are only good for a certain amount of time. They do try to stop them from actually getting a whale, but if they do get one, and the crunchers can taint the meat enough that it is deemed inedible, it does two things...

1. They wasted all that time on that one whale. And now, they have to go get another, and the clock is ticking.

2. If they dump it overboard, it kind proves the point that they are really in it for the meat and such.

I am pretty sure the crunchers would rather keep them form killing them at all, but you gotta take what you can get, when you can get it.

B

bigdog

I like watching a train wreck :lol: Something about the shows where you just sit there wondering what is going to happen next. That's why all these reality shows are out there now they get the viewers.

CJ

H

halibuthitman

aw.. come on guys... your up on the bow sprint, whale at 75 yrds 60-50-30 Blam you let fly with a harpoon fired from a frickin grenade launcher... miss! damn reload and get on him this time boys! wow! I can taste the frozen salt air and the wet cigarette!! none of you would want any part of this? I already have a guilty concience... might as well have the money too!

T

troutmasta

I would join the sea shepards just for the action....if you didn't have to be a vegitarian! Other than that they're bad ass! And Bob Barker is a legend!

D

dude young

aw.. come on guys... your up on the bow sprint, whale at 75 yrds 60-50-30 Blam you let fly with a harpoon fired from a frickin grenade launcher... miss! damn reload and get on him this time boys! wow! I can taste the frozen salt air and the wet cigarette!! none of you would want any part of this? I already have a guilty concience... might as well have the money too!

Woh now. I never said I wouldn't do it. Hell, I'd do it for a free trip to Antarctica. I used to harpoon whales back in my college days. Had to real 'em in by hand, to boot. Once on deck, it was a battle to keep 'em down long enough to do my "scientific experiments". But, difference is, I practiced catch-n-release whaling back then.

H

halibuthitman

half the crew quits at the end of every voyage, they can no longer travel in us waters becouse the vessel does not meet coast gaurd safty requirments, Australia is one of the few ports on earth that tolerate them and after he faked getting shot by the japs they have been eyeballing them hard... gps records showed the sea shepards manuvered 4 times just to get the japanese whaler ( which never changed course towards an aggressive stance ) to hit them. If it wasn't for the show, bob barker and the red hot chili peppers they would already be out of business. And as for Bob being a legend... being famous in the u.s means nothing.. hell kate gosselin is famous for god sake! the credibility of fame is a farse in this country, doing a gay t.v show for 30 yrs doesn't make you a legend.... the men who rowed doreys out to harpoon whales, built the railroads, wore patches that said things like airborne or air mobile on their shoulders, women who sat down on buses and refused to move... young chinese students standing off tanks on world wide t.v...... they are legends.. Bob Barker is just some strap on that wore make-up to work every day.

N

nwkiller

half the crew quits at the end of every voyage, they can no longer travel in us waters becouse the vessel does not meet coast gaurd safty requirments, Australia is one of the few ports on earth that tolerate them and after he faked getting shot by the japs they have been eyeballing them hard... gps records showed the sea shepards manuvered 4 times just to get the japanese whaler ( which never changed course towards an aggressive stance ) to hit them. If it wasn't for the show, bob barker and the red hot chili peppers they would already be out of business. And as for Bob being a legend... being famous in the u.s means nothing.. hell kate gosselin is famous for god sake! the credibility of fame is a farse in this country, doing a gay t.v show for 30 yrs doesn't make you a legend.... the men who rowed doreys out to harpoon whales, built the railroads, wore patches that said things like airborne or air mobile on their shoulders, women who sat down on buses and refused to move... young chinese students standing off tanks on world wide t.v...... they are legends.. Bob Barker is just some strap on that wore make-up to work every day.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

D

dude young

Well said.

T

troutmasta

Oh that card...

Oh that card...

. If it wasn't for the show, bob barker and the red hot chili peppers they would already be out of business. And as for Bob being a legend... being famous in the u.s means nothing.. hell kate gosselin is famous for god sake! the credibility of fame is a farse in this country, doing a gay t.v show for 30 yrs doesn't make you a legend.... the men who rowed doreys out to harpoon whales, built the railroads, wore patches that said things like airborne or air mobile on their shoulders, women who sat down on buses and refused to move... young chinese students standing off tanks on world wide t.v...... they are legends.. Bob Barker is just some strap on that wore make-up to work every day.
Jeez... bob must owe you some money:shock:. Bob is an legend, and the price is right is far from gay:naughty:. (Thats not saying those that built the railroads aren't heros....blah..blah..blah:rolleyes:).
The Red Hot Chili Peppers wouldnt still be famous??? really??? I need to get a new copy of Rolling Stone Magizine:think:.

You lie. It is a dry ship. I know I'd never make it. And that first mate, I'd have to feed him to the Japanese.
If I could eat ribs at the end of the day, I would sign up in a heartbeat.;)

A

autofisher

:lol: :lol: wow...... I'm really at a loss with this one. The thing that sets Ol' Bob atop a little tower for me is the whole scene from Happy Gilmore. Other than that..... I hear a nail being hit on the head...... and my mother franticly trying to figure out the best way to edit this one.:lol:
The extremists on the boats have way too much money and way too much time. Instead of wasting millions of dollars a year polluting the oceans with stink bombs, exhaust fumes or just plain wasting the air I would rather breath, you would think that they'd spend some money and get the loophole fixed. Until they can get the legislature taken care of, I think they'll be barely treading water.

H

halibuthitman

I will apologize to Bob Barker if I get my whaling permit!!! seriously though, with the exeption of the minke whale all food source whale popul;ations are in a very healthy position, it has been over 35 reproductive cycles since rampant whaling has ended, the makaw indians ( i mean first nation ) hunt whales every year, the inuit ( eskimos as well ) hunt several kinds of wales, korea Norway Finland... all harvest whales under the same scientific guise. The international whaling moratorium would be over exept canada, the u.s and England and those sissy frenchies all refuse to over turn it becouse it would be political suicide for the administration that does it. And sorry about sh*t talking the price is right... Ive seen very few episodes... Ive been at....... work. My apologys raincatcher... you may edit like this was a history book written by white people.

A

autofisher

I will apologize to Bob Barker if I get my whaling permit!!! seriously though, with the exeption of the minke whale all food source whale popul;ations are in a very healthy position, it has been over 35 reproductive cycles since rampant whaling has ended, the makaw indians ( i mean first nation ) hunt whales every year, the inuit ( eskimos as well ) hunt several kinds of wales, korea Norway Finland... all harvest whales under the same scientific guise. The international whaling moratorium would be over exept canada, the u.s and England and those sissy frenchies all refuse to over turn it becouse it would be political suicide for the administration that does it. And sorry about sh*t talking the price is right... Ive seen very few episodes... Ive been at....... work. My apologys raincatcher... you may edit like this was a history book written by white people.

Jameson's?

Top Bottom